Helmetless kid passengers on scooters

I’m writing a new column, “The Squeaky Wheel,” for a new website in town, WaaKao.com, and the topic of my next installment will be what can be done to reduce the number of scooters that we see driving around with kids on board who aren’t wearing safety helmets. I’d love to get your ideas on this, including anecdotes of attempts you’ve made to address the problem. What did you do? What resulted? Any ideas that you haven’t tried but have thought about? Nonviolent options only, please!

Thanks for your help on this. I’m hoping we can save at least a few youngn’s from death or maiming.

Matt

[quote=“mattnico8”]I’m writing a new column, “The Squeaky Wheel,” for a new website in town, WaaKao.com, and the topic of my next installment will be what can be done to reduce the number of scooters that we see driving around with kids on board who aren’t wearing safety helmets. I’d love to get your ideas on this, including anecdotes of attempts you’ve made to address the problem. What did you do? What resulted? Any ideas that you haven’t tried but have thought about? Nonviolent options only, please!

Thanks for your help on this. I’m hoping we can save at least a few youngn’s from death or maiming.

Matt[/quote]
Nice. A bit too busy to my old eyes, though. But there’s no Chinese. I don’t think there are too many furriners who let their kids ride helmetless here. Fewer and fewer locals, too, these days, although I did see one helmetless tot just this morning kind of hanging out of its harness over the edge of a scooter that was fair belting along. Looked like brain salad surgery in the making for sure. I didn’t do anything, though. Not my bidness.

Plus, your link to the Spring Scream site doesn’t work. Plus you should have your arses tanned red-raw for using the words “dopest” and “awesome.”

Is that website actually meant to look like a number of people contributing to a blog?

I found it to be rather visually appealing, well designed and interesting but…

[quote=“sandman”]
Nice. A bit too busy to my old eyes, though. But there’s no Chinese. I don’t think there are too many furriners who let their kids ride helmetless here. Fewer and fewer locals, too, these days, although I did see one helmetless tot just this morning kind of hanging out of its harness over the edge of a scooter that was fair belting along. Looked like brain salad surgery in the making for sure. I didn’t do anything, though. Not my bidness.[/quote]

I think just as many people put their kids on bikes without helmets, but it certainly is a difficult statistic to provide. I still see lots of helmetless kids and three with a parent on bikes, even around Shilin. I berated a granny yesterday and she had a kid plonked on her footwell that may as well have been a dog in the way it was placed. No older than 6 months, the little runt.

I have come to think that the more stupid, selfish people do it the better as these kids would otherwise grow up to be like their parents and grandparents if they were given a greater chance to survive. Call it Darwinism. I’ve seen at least three foreigners with helmetless kids on scooters here in the last year and I have probably not noticed more than four bikes with foreign parent plus child in total so that’s 75% in my book, oh, and one was 1 parent plus two kids.
One of the whitey mothers had a 1~2 month old strapped to her chest under her coat and was supporting it with her left hand the whole time whilst riding down Keelung road in the morning rush hour. I hope you know who you are you stupid bitch. I really despair more than ever when I see foreigners being as stupid as locals.

I would say as a greater caution to other road users, the ambulances should slow right down and not pickup splattered adults and children until a much greater number of passers by and news channels could have their fill. After all the only reason that people continue being stupid is they never get to feel or see what that stupidity brings until its too late. The fact that the undead are still traveling the road, sort of reinforces that false sense of security/safety felt by everyone else, whereas if the maimed and splattered could talk then there would be no doubt far less people being idiots on the road. Our nanny has lost two out of three siblings because of completely separate scooter incidents. She doesn’t ride a scooter, I wonder why?!

I’ve asked this question in not so few words to everyone who takes their kids on a scooter “Why are you an idiot?”, “Oh, well everyone else seems to be doing it.” is always the response.

Believe it or not there is no specific helmet safety specification for motorcycle riders in the U.K. and yet you don’t see people going around with builder’s hats, German WWII helmets, water melon skins, skateboard helmets and other oddities on their heads and why not? Because the majority help to reinforce the idea that safety rules by practicing it and thus we have one of the lowest traffic fatality rates anywhere. If people were stupid enough then I’m sure the government would introduce better standards, but the fact is they don’t have to (unless obliged by new E.U. laws which I don’t know about).

My conclusion is simply that people are stupid and defend their stupidity only because other people are just as stupid, but this is a stupid excuse.

I’ve always put it to parents that if they can imagine what it may be like losing their child in a traffic accident or for it to be seriously injured and if they think they could live with themselves knowing that they had done all they could to secure that child’s safety, then carry on then, otherwise think again.

reminds me of this picture

from The Real Taiwan Blog

Helmet or not, it’s a stupid idea to put a kid on a scooter to begin with, and only marginally more intelligent for adults to ride scooters. I have had several accidents on scooters. Some were in wet conditions and losing rear wheel traction. All of the others were the result of absolutely idiotic things motorists did. I try not to ride a scooter except under the rarest of circumstances now. As for children, whereas I was able to limp away from my accidents, they would definitely have suffered several broken bones. It’s ridiculous to put any kid on any scooter.

What never ceases to amaze me is that Taiwanese parents are absolutely terrified of (take your pick): any animal bigger than a handbag, germs, water, the sun, etc. The chances of their kids getting seriously hurt or dying from any of the usual list of inane phobias are miniscule compared to the kid getting wiped out by some dickhead dropping an unannounced turn from the wrong lane.

Hmmm this waakao.com is a little flashy but very a very welcome addition. We need more Taiwan sites. Hope it grows!

I had another kid show up at class two days ago with his face looking like a purple punching bag, second one this month. Both from scooter accidents. Then another kid, not in any of my classes has a broken arm and nasty road rash.

Very very few of the kids around here have helmets.

I thought about buying a bunch of helmets and giving them away but I’m not sure how that would fly. It might piss some peeps off, cause them to lose face or something.

Judging from the amount of adults I see driving without helmets or even shoes for that matter, I don’t think they are big fans of them here. Most of the time when I do see someone with a helmet, the straps are flying out the sides so the slightest bump and the helmet would go flying. It’s quite obvious they are only placing the thing on their head to avoid a ticket.

What is the best way to approach this and actually help without the locals going loco? If we could even save one life it would be well worth it in my opinion.

I think that as individual we can do nothing to affect a change in helmet wearing habits. Getting in a pissing contest, or even politely talking to folks, about the dangers of putting their kids on scooters without helmets is useless, except maybe if they’re good friends already.
My school started a program where they hand out tickets to kids are wearing helmets when they come to school in the morning, then the kid writes his name on it and deposits it in a big box for a chance at some cool prizes and awards. I’ve seen a significant increase in helmets since this started, but there’s still a lot who don’t wear them.

[quote=“kjmillig”]I think that as individual we can do nothing to affect a change in helmet wearing habits. Getting in a pissing contest, or even politely talking to folks, about the dangers of putting their kids on scooters without helmets is useless, except maybe if they’re good friends already.
My school started a program where they hand out tickets to kids are wearing helmets when they come to school in the morning, then the kid writes his name on it and deposits it in a big box for a chance at some cool prizes and awards. I’ve seen a significant increase in helmets since this started, but there’s still a lot who don’t wear them.[/quote]

That’s a clever incentive.

To the rest, I say fuck it. Be Darwinian about it. If they or their parents are that stupid, good on 'em. The world needs fewer idiots.

[quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]
To the rest, I say fuck it. Be Darwinian about it. If they or their parents are that stupid, good on 'em. The world needs fewer idiots.[/quote]

I think you need to spend some time viewing some of these kids in the IC wards of the children’s wing of any hospital. There’s nothing more sobering that seeing some helpless mangled infant whose injuries were brought about by the selfish insular attitude of some so-called grown up who should know better than to gamble with the well-being of those under their care.
It’s surely quite insular of yourself to even suggest the fact that the poor kids are somehow to blame, and that they somehow deserve their quite easily preventable injuries.

I posted [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/senseless-tragedy-in-yangmei/18269/1 story[/url] back in 05 while my daughter was still in elementary school.

Maybe the more callous amongst us in this thread should have a look?

In the first place, scooters are girlie bikes. Beats me how any self-respecting man would be seen dead on one. Secondly, driving a girlie bike to save a few bucks and thus exposing oneself to the potential of quadriplegia and fast death is imminently stupid. Thirdly, 99% of the helmets worn in Taiwan are cheap rubbish and merely cosmetic. They offer no protection whatsoever.

[quote=“mattnico8”]I’m writing a new column, “The Squeaky Wheel,” for a new website in town, WaaKao.com, and the topic of my next installment will be what can be done to reduce the number of scooters that we see driving around with kids on board who aren’t wearing safety helmets. I’d love to get your ideas on this, including anecdotes of attempts you’ve made to address the problem. What did you do? What resulted? Any ideas that you haven’t tried but have thought about? Nonviolent options only, please!

Matt[/quote]

Make up a picture of a forty year old Chinese couple crying, looking at their son or daughter in a hospital bed, head heavily bandaged. Then add these captions:

[quote]Is it expensive now, paying for medical care for your child?
Will it be more expensive when you are sixty and your child still needs 24 hour care?

Is a motorcycle helmet really “too expensive” for your child, or do you just not care?
[/quote]

Be sure to keep the repeated words emboldened.

1. Grow up. please, and find out what manhood is all about. I certainly isn’t about how big of a bike you ride. I’ll bet you think vans and station wagons are “girlie” cars too :hand:
  2. Riding either a scooter or motorcycle is inherently dangerous. It’s how you ride that makes a difference. BTW lots of activities can expose you to the potential of quadriplegia or fast death, such as walking down the street, diving into a swimming pool (like what happened to my cousin), slipping in the shower, or driving a car.
  1. Grow up. please, and find out what manhood is all about. I certainly isn’t about how big of a bike you ride. I’ll bet you think vans and station wagons are “girlie” cars too:hand: [/quote]
    You obviously ride a girlie bikey. :moped:

[quote=“petrarch1603”]reminds me of this picture

from The Real Taiwan Blog[/quote]

You know back home you need a large vehicle (at least a SUV) to carry this many people… but it’s amazing they can carry an entire family on a 50cc scooter…

http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2000-32.html

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“GuyInTaiwan”]
To the rest, I say fuck it. Be Darwinian about it. If they or their parents are that stupid, good on 'em. The world needs fewer idiots.[/quote]

I think you need to spend some time viewing some of these kids in the IC wards of the children’s wing of any hospital. There’s nothing more sobering that seeing some helpless mangled infant whose injuries were brought about by the selfish insular attitude of some so-called grown up who should know better than to gamble with the well-being of those under their care.
It’s surely quite insular of yourself to even suggest the fact that the poor kids are somehow to blame, and that they somehow deserve their quite easily preventable injuries.[/quote]

I’m not saying the kids are to blame or deserve anything. I’m saying it is what it is and I’m saying natural selection isn’t such a bad thing. The West could certainly use more of it. Is it fair that some kid gets his head cracked open? No, but boo-hoo. Is it fair that I don’t look like Brad Pitt and don’t have girls dripping off me? No, but boo-hoo. Life isn’t fair, and neither should it be or we’d all be soft and useless.