Helms: Segretation Torpedoed by "Outside Agitators"

[quote]RALEIGH, North Carolina (AP) – In his upcoming memoir, former Sen. Jesse Helms acknowledges he was wrong about the AIDS epidemic but believes integration was forced before its time by “outside agitators who had their own agendas.”

Helms, 83, was one of the state’s leading voices of segregation as a TV commentator in Raleigh in the 1960s and opposed nearly every civil rights bill while in the Senate. He has never retracted his views on race or said segregation was wrong.

“We will never know how integration might have been achieved in neighborhoods across our land, because the opportunity was snatched away by outside agitators who had their own agendas to advance,” according to the uncorrected proof. “We certainly do know the price paid by the stirring of hatred, the encouragement of violence, the suspicion and distrust.”[/quote]

I’m wondering when the GOP is going to officially adopt the motto: “Birds of a feather should flock together.”

“segretation”? oops. should be “segregation”

Um…you are using Jesse Helms as an indicator of the entire GOP? Um…get real. :unamused:

tomtom taiwan said:

Tomtom is right…

The rest of the GOP is slightly to the RIGHT of Jesse Helms.

:stuck_out_tongue:

So, you’re like, saying, that, like…Jesse Helms is a RACIST?

Whoah. Dude.

I did not know that.

[quote=“Quentin”]So, you’re like, saying, that, like…Jesse Helms is a RACIST?

Whoah. Dude.

I did not know that.[/quote]

not so racist that he had no qualms fathering a mixed child with a black lady.

Jack Burton wrote:

Oops! You’ve got the WRONG Southern hypocritical anti-miscegenation ultra-right-wing racist retired Republican Senatorial asshole from the Carolinas… You’re talking about Strom Thurmond of SOUTH Carolina there, bub.

(It’s important that we make these subtle distinctions!)

:slight_smile:

slate.msn.com/id/2075453/

Read it. Some people say Strom Thurman became reformed but somehow I believe not.

Interesting article in Slate.

Yes – let us not forget. It’s too easy to make up excuses
for the famous and powerful, even when they don’t deserve
those excuses.

Fathering illegitimate children with black women is an old, old tradition going back to slave owning times. Why do you think black people in the U.S. are so much lighter skinned than real Africans? Just because a man can have sex with a black woman doesn’t make him NOT a racist. All the slave owners did and we all know they were racist as hell. All it means is that Jesse wanted to get his rocks off on a piece of hot black ass, not that he cared about or respected her as a human being. The fact that he didn’t even acknowledge his own child and tried to deny it for so many years, that showed that he felt ashamed and still held bigotry in his own heart - against his own child. Jesse used a woman for sex, she got pregnant, and he’s disgusted with her and the baby because they aren’t white. If anything his affair with her goes even further to prove how much of a bigot he is. What kind of a father refuses to acknowledge his own child? Because of the baby’s color?

Quentin inexplicably said:

Am I missing something here? STROM THURMOND, my friend;
not JESSE HELMS – You’ve got the wrong guy!

Geez!

Thomas Jefferson, George Washington - THEY’RE THE SAME FUCKING GUY! DON’T YOU GET IT?

We are all Republicans. We are all Federalists :smiling_imp:

yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/presi … finau1.htm