Help Buying a Monitor, Which Would You Buy, Why?

I am in the market for a monitor upgrade from a 24 inch 1080p Asus with no pivot to a 27 inch 1440p that can pivot (verticle).

I want to use it for the following:

• Office Productivity: need to view 3 full size A4 pages side by side without going ultra wide.
  • Light image editing
  • Light gaming on PS4

I have shopped around online and narrowed it down to these 3 options based on specs, aesthetics, and price. But I can’t decide.

1. MSI G274QPF-QD

27 inch / 2K WQHD / 170hz / 1ms / Rapid IPS
    300-400 HDR Peak
    Flat Panel w/ anti-glare
    Adobe RGB 93% / DCI-P3 95% / SRGB 150%
    2 HDMI 144 Hz
    1 DP 170 hz
    1 Type C
    1 Headphone Out
    48 to 170 Hz
    Can tilt, rotate, and pivot
    $8990 NTD

2. MSI G274QRFW

27 inch 2KWQHD rapid IPS
    Exact same specs as above except white body and…
    300 nits
    Adobe RGB 88% / DCI-P3 90% / SRGB 125%
    No USB Type C
    $7990 NTD

3. ASUS VG27AQL1A

27 inch 2K WQHD IPS
    170hz
    1ms
    130% sRGB
    400cd/m2 (nits)
    HDMIx2 + Diplay Port
    Asus GamePlus + Shadow Boost
    $6988 NTD

Get the 27 inch one.

1 Like

um…all 3 are 27 inch
:wink:

Exactly. They all are fairly similar, so either throw a dice, get the one that is visually most pleasing, or get the cheapest.

It’s been my general experience with monitors that you get what you pay for. The more expensive one is likely to be nicer to use and will last longer. The really cheap one will probably break within a year or two.

I’m still using two cheap monitors I bought years ago. One is 15 years old. One is 13 I think. LG. I’ve debated buying new ones over the years but I can’t dump things that still work.

1 Like

Get this one:
MSI G274QPF-QD

Why? I researched the same. I am also looking to buy, but maybe larger (but also 1440p), and I remember seeing the larger version of this MSI one and thinking when I buy I may buy that one. It received great reviews from what I remember. It is excellent for gaming, decent for editing, good choice all round.

1 Like

None of these are cheap monitors, and all look like they have decent and fairly similar specs. I’d probably just get the Asus, purely based on price.

I meant more modern ones. As technology shrinks it all just gets less and less reliable. Stuff built 15 years ago was fairly chunky and margins for error were correspondingly wider. The more pricey models are slightly more likely to use better-quality components and might have a bit more attention paid to process control. The assembly tolerances on TFT panels and modern wafer-scale IC packages are just insane; I’m frankly amazed this stuff works at all.

1 Like

careful…27 is the sweet spot for 1440p.

32 is the sweet spot for starting with 4K

24 and smaller is the domain of 1080p

If you get a 32 at 1440 (2k), it will look like 1080. Pixels will be more obvious the nearer you are to the monitor.

I was looking at 4k 32 inch screens, but the realestate they take up on my desk is way too much, moving your head to look side to side is uncomfortable, and my laptop setups cant really run a 4k 32.

So 27 inch 1440p for the win.

Hmm yeah… ideally I would try it first. But, I am typing this on a 1080p 27" monitor. When I go to 1440p I need my monitor to be larger to keep my viewing experience about the same. If things are too small my eyes get red.

None. Get a VR headset. You’ll never go back.

Those make me feel like I am car sick.

1 Like

This is my strategy. Give it a few days, it’ll be caked in various bodily fluids anyway, let’s face it.

Classy.

Fingerprints, sneezes, splatter from talking, coughing… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Damn…
Just realized the PS4 (not pro) cant output to 1440p. It can only do 1080p or 4k.

but 1080p looks crappy on a 27 inch screen for productivity. And I cant go 4K.

1 Like

Go for the MSI for overall, ASUS for looks (subjective).

1 Like