Help buying a wireless router

I plan on going to the ‘computer’ market this weekend to buy a bus station that’ll enable me to surf the net cableless outside my apartment ( I already have my airport card installed). The guys at apple told me not to bother buying an apple one as they’re too expensive, but should be able to get one in the market for around $NT2 000. Is there anything specific I should be looking for? Thanks.

amos, you want to connect to a ADSL/cable then you need wireless router. If you say " bus station " not many people will understand.
If you have ADSL make sure to buy one with PPPoE.

Get an Intel Wireless Gateway. I made the mistake of first getting a D-Link wireless router. A piece of crap. The Intel also comes with an English interface…something the D-Link doesn’t have. You pay for you get.

Thanks boys,

Ponchi, do they all come with PPPoE?

Blueface, is that Intel one is Apple compatable?

Thanks.

try PCI ( it is company name ) they have a gateway + printer server in one plus for wireless you just put Wi-FI card. The total cost should be less then 3000.

Not all gateways come with PPPoE.

[quote=“amos”]

Blueface, is that Intel one is Apple compatable?[/quote]

I’m pretty sure it is. I don’t really keep up with Apple. :blush:

intel.com/network/connectivi … ateway.htm

apple.com/airport/

[quote=“blueface666”][quote=“amos”]

Blueface, is that Intel one is Apple compatable?[/quote]

I’m pretty sure it is. I don’t really keep up with Apple. :blush:

intel.com/network/connectivi … ateway.htm

apple.com/airport/[/quote]

BF, what can you tell us about the crappiness of the DLink. Advantages of the Intel one over the DLink? I bought a regular non-wireless router back in US in best buy. never had a noticeable problem, but i am thinking of wireless.

Dlink has generally been ok for me. Just don’t expect too many fancy features out of it.

SMC is good also. Buffalo is amazing but $$. PCI should be good. Not sure if Linksys is available but it’s an excellent choice. Taiwanese brands are ok.

If you have a 802.11g airport card, spend the extra money and get a 11g wireless router. If you’re computer savvy (ie can understand Chinese instructions or poorly written English ones) it doesn’t really matter what you buy. Sure, you’ll have to reset the router once in a while, but it doesn’t mean your company is going to lose $1m.

I’ve used wireless stuff ranging from nameless Taiwanese brands to Lucent commercial grade. It really comes down to performance(distance) and user friendliness.

[quote=“jackburton”]
BF, what can you tell us about the crappiness of the DLink. Advantages of the Intel one over the DLink? [/quote]

OK. My mistake was buying it without first checking on Usenet for opinions. I never could get it to connect to more than 2 machines running Windows. No way would it work with Linux. And like I said it had a Chinese interface (the packaging was English). When I contacted D-Link here I got the typical runaround. I checked on Usenet and found MANY people (US, Europe, Taiwan) were having the same problems. That decided me. I ended up returning it and getting the Intel which I installed in minutes. Right now it’s hooked up to machines running Linux, Solaris and XP. Everything works just fine.

I repeat, D-Link’s customer service here sucks. About 7 months ago I wanted to buy a pcmcia lan card. They told me it was old and no good. It’s currently available in the US for $29. I ended up buying one from a guy over in Luchou for $200NT.

I used to be a big D-Link fan…no more.

Actually I bought a Linksys and never looked back. Most reliable, problem free piece of hardware I’ve had in years. That and my Sony Car Discman for 49.99 at Fry’s. But I haven’t seen any linkys here.

BTw, separate question, I would like to do some mailing, but don’t have a laser printer (job stuff). What’s the equivalent of a Kinko’s here where I can buy some paper, envelopes and do some quality printing?

Went wireless today: PCI Wireless router and PCI PCMCIA Wireless Lan. Worked within 5 minutes. Cost NT$4000.

Results

1 megabits per second

Run the test again Discuss in the forum
Details

Your raw speed was 1018319.29 bits per second which is the same as:

Communications

1 megabits per second
How communication devices are rated. Kilo means 1,000 and mega means 1,000,000. Examples include 56k modem and 10Mbit Ethernet

Storage

124.3 kilobytes per second
The way data is measured on your hard drive and how file sharing and FTP programs measure transfer speeds. Kilo is 1,024 and mega is 1,048,576.

1MB file download

8.2 seconds
The time it would take you to download a 1 megabyte file at this speed.

Rating

Compared to all connection types worldwide, yours is fantastic
Comparisons

your speed

T1

56k modem

Complete stats See all the speed test statistics
Info

test type Downstream Test v3 (605 KB idt type)

test was run 22:44CDT Jul 8, 2003

IP address 211.72.108.18

Speed Test FAQ Frequently asked questions about the test and results.

Server

The tests are run from a dedicated server in San Antonio, Texas, USA.

Optional Feedback

We are always trying to improve our speed test and any feedback you give helps. All the questions are optional and your information will be used only by Bandwidth Place for improving our speed test.

the results of this test seem accurate
too high
too low
provider
city
state or province

My connection is faster???

Alley does it have VPN pass thru ?