Help Choosing a language school

Right now I planning on going to Shida starting Semptember 1st, but I’d like to explore other options.
I’m looking for schools that:

have evening classes (if possible)
(at least) 2 hours/day and 5 days/week
move at a fast pace

That’s it really. I already checked out TLI and didn’t like the fact that they only focused on spoken, but I might go have another look. Wherever I go I want a program that will get me ready to go to a University here in about 1 years time (from sept. 1). I’ve been asking around for a while and Shida seems like the place to go, but I keep hearing about other places and can never remember their names.

Thanks

Please keep in mind that for a university (I’m not kidding!) you need skills more or less in this order:

Listening
Speaking
Reading

Writing (a poor last place, as if you do write in Chinese it will be your name or a report using a computer; this is the time to practice teamwork with your Chinese classmates!)

You may want to try to get a class that will not load you down with writing assignments as a result.

I am working with a student who will be starting an MBA program here in September, and he has little Chinese now…we’re concentrating on the above hierarchy as it was put forth by the director of his program.

Good luck!

[quote=“ironlady”]Please keep in mind that for a university (I’m not kidding!) you need skills more or less in this order:

Listening
Speaking
Reading

[snip]
You may want to try to get a class that will not load you down with writing assignments as a result.
[snip]
Good luck![/quote]
It’s for these reasons that I’m curious about other options. The way my studying has progressed thus far (with the help of a 1 on 1 tutor twice a week) I’m begining to think that a program like TLI’s might fit in well with self study. Even though most people tell me Shida is the place to go, I’m worried about how much time is going to be dedicated to written work.

I’m starting to think that where I go isn’t as important as how hard I study, and if that’s the case I can look into programs that are cheaper and have evening classes.

Every now and then I hear about a college that’s up in the mountains somewhere. What school is that?

Not sure about the mountains, but IMHO, all language schools currently operating in Taiwan are created just about equal, they are endowed by their Boards of Directors with the same textbooks for the most part, and the teachers are just about equally trained. (See voluminous other posts about this – won’t bore you just now.)

Pick the school that:
a) is the cheapest, or
b) is the most geographically convenient, or
c) offers the hours you want.

What you need is to acquire the core vocabulary WELL – I mean stuff that is used no matter what you’re talking about. After that, you can start to head in the direction of whatever you want to be able to talk about particularly well later on.

I would NOT spend the time, effort and money on Shita considering that there are other schools available, UNLESS you specifically need the visa/ARC support that only a university could give.

The Fujen program seems to be pretty much like any other one, but if Hsinchuang is your thing, it’s worth considering, I suppose, if you want a univesrity program. At least the campus is attractive. I have offered to give a (free!) course this summer to let them see the new methods in use – we’ll see if they take me up on it or not. The Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences was interested, but…who knows.

Terry,

You mentioned the Sunday/Fujen class recently. How are those going? I’m really curious about your method (my chinese sucks) but I can’t find anyone in my circle who is able to share a class (your fee) with me… several of my friends already commit to as many as 5 days/week.

[quote=“ironlady”][snip]
The Fujen program seems to be pretty much like any other one, but if Hsinchuang is your thing, it’s worth considering, I suppose, if you want a univesrity program. [snip][/quote]
Fujen? Hsinchuang? Who, what, where? :?

Miltownkid,
If you’re going to do a university course at Shida they don’t let you pick what time you have the class, and I wasn;t aware that they had evening classes anyway. About 4 years ago someone told me that he’d swtiched form Shida to Wehua, and found that it was better. It was his opinion that Shida were coasting on their reputation. We’ve been doing Taiwanese at the Wenhua campus down by Da-An park and it’s certainly new and impressive looking. Very nice environment. I’ve also heard that the Taida course is very good (but very intense).

brian

i’m in a similar boat as miltownkid (yo, perhaps we can go school hunting sometime)…

i was thinking of looking at taida, but can you go into more about how it’s “intense”? i’d like intense rather than relaxed as i think i’d learn more that way.

is there anyone out there who’s done a program at taida?

Check [THIS THREAD] out.

[quote=“Sir Donald Bradman”]Miltownkid,
If you’re going to do a university course at Shida they don’t let you pick what time you have the class, and I wasn;t aware that they had evening classes anyway.[/quote]
:frowning: I know, that’s why I wanna check out other options. My gut is telling me that going to shida isn’t worth messing up my work schedule and paying extra money.

[quote=“Sir Donald Bradman”]About 4 years ago someone told me that he’d swtiched form Shida to Wehua, and found that it was better. It was his opinion that Shida were coasting on their reputation. We’ve been doing Taiwanese at the Wenhua campus down by Da-An park and it’s certainly new and impressive looking. Very nice environment. I’ve also heard that the Taida course is very good (but very intense).

brian[/quote]
Wenhua sounds like it would be nice. Do they have night courses? I tries to google up a webpage and couldn’t find one.

For a Wenhua search try Chinese Cultural University. The guy I talked to all those years ago was doing evening courses. Go in and ask. They;'re right on the NE corner of Jianguo S Rd and Heping E Rd, which is the SE corner of Da An park. I have a friend doing a course at Taida in the mornings. He says it’s good, but they push you to learn a lot of characters fast. Also there’s two courses. He said they seem to be about the same. The difference is, that one seems to be for people already in Taiwan, while the other is for people coming form overseas and costs 5 times as much. If you want some info from him, let me know. I don’t think he’d mind you giving him a call.

Brian

Mandarin Learning Center,
Chinese Culture University
B1, 231 Chien-Kuo South Rd., Sec. 2, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
(02)2700-5858 ext.128 or 129
(02)2706-9121
(02)2707-5312
mandarin@msrv.cec.pccu.edu.tw
cec.pccu.edu.tw

For a complete list of accredited programs see edu.tw/bicer/english/Center.htm.

The Chinese Culture University doesn’t offer night classes (normally, I stopped by and asked). For anyone else interested here’s the link to the Mandarin Learning Center’s website cec.pccu.edu.tw/mlc/ (I couldn’t find the MLC’s website going to the main page).

i think i’m going to look seriously into the serious taida program…though that $10,500 price tag is pretty steep…that must be for full-time students, perhaps.

i met a girl on the mrt who was saying that the problem with shida is that your teacher changes every three months…she seemed to not like having to change teachers so frequently.

Don’t waste your money. These programs are all the same. Go to Shida and do your ten hours a week. Then get a part time job so that you can practice your Chinese somewhere. In two or three years you will speak Mandarin well and be able to read. Remember YOU have to learn Chinese; no “program” will do it for you.

If you say “don’t waste your money,” why Shita?? It’s more expensive than most, isn’t it??

Doesn’t seem to be much more expensive then other programs. Plus you get access to the gym, computer lab, library, etc. I’ll be looking at TLI again tonight. If they have night classes availible, I think I’ll be signing up there for a few months and continue my search from the comfort of a class room. I’m begining to like the fact that TLI focuses on speaking and listening, because reading and writing is very easily practiced alone.

I was all excited about TLI, but it turns out that it’s not the place for me :frowning: . The group classes only use simplified characters and the level that the night class is currently at is too far behind for it to be worth the money. Unless some other night classes pop up that look promising (should I even check out C.L.I.), I’ll be looking for a good one on one (or 2 or maybe even three) teacher. If anyone has a recommendation please PM it to me (or post it).

I was worng about wenhua. So I guess it seems that none of the unis have night classes. If you want a non-uni class and don’t like TLI (I didn’t much) you could try CLD. The qualities about the same as TLI but it was more fun and they use the Shida books which I really like. Don’t try CLI - they don’t actually have classes.

Brian

Someone said that today, I thought they were just kidding. :laughing:

So it’s off to CLD for me. I’ll check them out Monday, unless they happen to be open this weekend. I found their website chineselanguage.org.tw/ check it out for more info (or a laugh).

Thanks Bri