Help! Does anyone have experience converting foreign motorcycle license to a local one?

I just did a Google image search on 普通重型機車 and it came up with this…

Does that match what you found?

1 Like

Which country/state license do you hold and which DMV location did you go to?

Netherlands/EU converting at Shilin DMV

There are 4 categories in both, but those in the photo do not match the Wikipedia entry - is there actually a borderline at 550cc?

There’s something more here;

…which with the help of Google translate indicates that a change of plate colour happens at 550cc, the driving licence category is the same

This gets weirder… the DMV just phoned me to say the motorcycle licence was issued in error and could I please hand it in? Huuuuh! Something about reciprocity, apparently. Perhaps something just changed in the regulations (the country list is currently dated 1 august).
Has anyone else encountered this? Seems rather strange to withdraw retrospectively, though…
I agreed to visit the guy and clarify things later today.

That’s why I’m still adamant on going in to exchange my motorcycle license. I feel like a lot of them have no idea what they’re doing or the rules/regulations are in such a grey area.

Interested to see what the outcome or what their explanation is.

The reciprocal agreement only covers car.
A practical test is needed to obtain motorcycle license to 250cc

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I’m kinda strategizing a bit for next month and this is the most relevant topic.

If it helps, I’m going to be in Zhonghe, New Taipei and probably getting a scooter for commute, and plan on occasionally riding a heavy motorcycle (yellow or even red plate) with my friend that owns a Yamaha dealership in Taichung (I didn’t want to operate without a license, so riding bh to Sun Moon Lake took a bit of fun out of that trip).

1. Would it do ANY good for me to get my motorcycle endorsement from Idaho (which does not have displacement restrictions) and try my luck at converting it, or am I better off signing up for lessons in Taiwan and start from scratch?

2. If I’m only able to convert my car license but not my endorsement, and have either no Taiwanese motorcycle license at all or start with a white plate license and work my way up… Can I legally use the IDP with no restrictions to supersede whatever I have in Taiwan to legally ride a heavy motorcycle?

Thanks!

Good news is, you should have no trouble converting your Idaho car license to a Taiwanese car license. With that you can also ride a green plate scooter

https://www.roc-taiwan.org/ussea_en/post/6034.html

The bad news is, for the red/yellow plate motorcycle I am 99% sure you have to go through the whole process. That includes white plate license for a year.

3 Likes

With a (great) struggle I got the DMV to endorse my IDP with “heavy” motorcycle license for use in Taiwan, they refuse every year and every year I pull out the previous one that they stamped.

They point blank refused to in any way consider exchanging my “heavy” motorcycle license for a Taiwan license. I could exchange the car license no problem, they would even extend to a white plate (<250cc) motorcycle license but “heavy” seems a no go area. I have heard rumours of people getting an exchange if they could prove having undergone a certain number of training hours in their home country to get their license however I’ve never seem proof of it actually having been done. I ended up doing the car test here as my “heavy” motorcycle and car license are one card, in order to exchange I would have had to swap (cannot retain/return) my original license for a Taiwanese car license hence losing the “heavy” motorcycle license completely. I don’t know if Idaho is a swap or keep arrangement.

Best bet is to go to several DMV’s and ask, average out the responses you get and it will be somewhere close to policy.

1 Like