HELP - How do I stop my dog from howling?

I forgot to say… Stray dog – thx.

…and thx for that link too (that dude is THE MAN!) I feel 100 times better after watching the clips. Its definitely an inspiration – there’s hope!

Hey, no problem - glad there are some improvements.

Here’s something that may interest you:

http://www.barkbusters.com/

From what I can gather, they employ similar techniques to Cesar Millan (or he to they), and they have branches in Taiwan. They guarantee to fix any problem in two hours … for life.

Now, I’ve wanted to get them over to chez Stray Dog to help me work with some of the more timid dogs here, but I’ve decided to wait until we move into the new holding facility, where there will be more space; however, if you live in northern Taiwan and would like to employ their services to teach your dog to calm down more, I would happily split the fee with you if I could sit in on the session - wann try it? :slight_smile:

Also, when I switched my youngest dogs from kibble (Science Diet) to a natural diet, they both calmed down considerably, but still maintained their playfulness at exercise time. There’s another thread on here about natural diets: [url]Dog Food Brands

BTW, by being calm and assertive around your dog, you’re encouraging your dog to be calm and submissive, and you’ve started to experience the benefits of letting your dog know who is boss; how do you feel the dog feels about his new, lower status in your pack?

It is fucking uncanny how well Stray Dog’s advice works. I’m fostering the little bugger in his avatar (she’s a good bit bigger now) and I swear, she’s as good as gold. I’ve only had her for two days and already she walks to heel with very little tugging on the lead.
The first day I needed to give constant gentle tugs to keep her in check, but this morning, a gentle low-pitched “hup!” was enough to check her, with hardly any pressure on the leash at all. She’s also learned to sit on command. Again, no raised voice at all, just a low “Ssss!” is enough. One night and just one “accident” was enough for her to select her toilet area in the yard – conveniently right in the drainage ditch – without being told that was her place.
A single incident of yapping/barking on the first night, but totally silent all last night apart form the occasional quiet whine.
She’ll still jump up at me when I come in, but if I just keep turning away from her without speaking or touching her, she’ll calm down in less than a minute and sit and wait for me to acknowledge her. Same with food, and believe me, she LIKES her nosh!
She’s either the dog Einstein of Xindien or these methods REALLY WORK!

Obviously shooting it is out ofthe question as you seem to care about the little guy, what about surgically removing his vocal cords? Instant happy neighbours and I imagine not that expensive!

Ok ok I’m kidding!
:smiling_imp:

No kidding. While I’m quite happy with Lucky in general, there were a few things that he kept doing like barking and jumping on me when I come home which I was trying to solve and also the fact that he would be so pushy every time I opened the door to go somwhere.

I tried the alpha male approach and by God that’s the ticket. Good for the owner/caretaker but also excellent for the dog. The dog now has a clearly defined status in the pack. I’m the boss, period. Strange enough, the pooch actually seem to indeed enjoy his lessen responsibility.

bobepine

Straydog… I’m in Taipei (Zhongxiao / Fuxing area). I totally appreciate your offer but you are more than welcome to sit in for free… or anyone else… so long as it doesnt cost me an arm and a leg :laughing:. (Would you happen to have a ballpark figure for that training?) I can’t find the article right now, but I read somewhere in the Taipei Times that these dogs trainers are making pretty good money – could be a good opportunity maybe. (I don’t mean me – cuz I obviously scuk at this).

Here’s the lil terrorist (about a month after I found him).

His Ninja mode…

About 5 months later… just after a shaving.

No idea ow much - give them a call - they speak English. Might see if we can do a deal with them (promote on our site).

Must dash - signing contract on AnimalsTaiwan’s new holding facility! :slight_smile:

I’ll be out for the weekend but I’ll give em a call and call you back when I get in. The promotion deal on the AT website sounds like a great idea!

I wish you all the best with the new holding facility! Please keep us updated with photos :slight_smile:

EDIT: I meant I’ll post back with ya.

Any update on this story? Young Brian has been pissing the neighbours off recently, coinciding with an increase in him wilfully ignoring me on walks. We’ve just spent six months living with other people who spoiled him rotten and he obviously needs retraining about the facts of life.