Help identifying a connector

Hey there smart people,
I managed to acquire a very nice convert-your-monitor-to-a-tv type device for free, and it works great.

At the moment I use a switcher box to change my monitor connection between this box or the PC. However the box has a VGA-in connector, which, if I could figure it out, would allow me to avoid the switcher box altogether and do the changing with the box’s own remote control.

Problem is, the VGA connector looks something like this…

hardwarebook.net/connector/a … nitor.html

The above may not be EXACTLY the right connector, but it sure looks about right.

Is there a commonly used computer VGA connector that looks like that? If so, is it easy to make a little adaptor from a standard 15-pin d-sub connector? I have a feeling I may have seen that connector on a posh laptop once, btw.

Thanks,
Stu

It all depends what kind of specific-gravity alternator you’re carrying.

I said smart people. :wink:

Is that a S-Video connector for connecting to a TV ? Your telly might have one too. No, it’s completly imcompatible with VGA, that’s why you need a convertor box.

Or is it a PS/2 connector for switching the keyboard too ?

Does it have exactly 8 pins ?

Looks almost like a S-Video connector, but I don’t think people put the RGB signal through an S-Video connector. You said that you got the device for free, maybe that is the reason why it was so free. Maybe a special adapter cable was missing that usually comes with the box.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Is that a S-Video connector for connecting to a TV ? Your telly might have one too. No, it’s completly imcompatible with VGA, that’s why you need a convertor box.

Or is it a PS/2 connector for switching the keyboard too ?[/quote]

No no, It’s not S-video. I do have SOME brains in that thick skull of mine. It’s also clearly labelled “VGA in”.

It was free because my neighbour threw it in the recycling bin, lol. It was just missing the DC power supply (and this adaptor cable, I guess). I’m still very happy with it, even if I have to use the switcher box, but working this last bit out would make me even happier.

I said smart people. :wink:[/quote]

Sorry; I missed that bit. :blush:

I said smart people. :wink:[/quote]

Sorry; I missed that bit. :blush:[/quote]

Sorry, Stray Dog… silly me… I bolded the wrong part. I meant to say “I said smart people. :wink:

Maybe you can somehow figure out which VGA line should go into which pin, and solder something together. Afterall, it will be just some sort of pass-through function. So opening the box might help in figuring out the pin layout. But I doubt the the quality of you VGA signal will improve by piping it through this connection.

Can you confirm the number of pins, nimrod ?

is it this ? mycableshop.com/sku/20234.htm

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Can you confirm the number of pins, nimrod ?

is it this ? mycableshop.com/sku/20234.htm[/quote]

Nice one, BFM. That looks awful like it.

Cheers, big ears! (And everyone else.)

It wasn’t a quality issue, it was a convenience thing.

I do wonder if going from 15 pins down to 9 pins is going to lose me something… probably not actually.

Now if I could just get the pinout for the round connector, I could make my own cable. Anyone? BFM??

Yes: six pins. :loco:

I’m still trying to figure out if your port on the box is 8-pin or 9-pin. Can’t tell from reading this thread.

VGA had one 9-pin standard in the past, but it was D-shaped.

There are some references on the web to an 8-pin mini din connector for use in connecting to an ATI graphics card.

The webpage for BFM’s cable is interesting. All on that one page, for that one part number, you can find references to both “8-pin” and “9-pin.” Which is it, I wonder?

These websites, among others, might be of some use. They seem willing to answer questions via email:

mycableshop.com/
Pinouts: mycableshop.com/techguide.html

EDIT: This one doesn’t tell you the pinout of a din connector, but it does shed light on which wires coming from the 15-pin cable are important:
mycableshop.com/techarticles/9th15video.htm

www.trianglecables.com
sales@trianglecables.com

I’ve made custom cables in the ancient past, but never video cables. I have to wonder though, along the lines of Stray Dog’s contribution, what happens to the stuff that was previously being carried on the other 6 or 7 pins of the 15-pin cable when it becomes an 8- or 9-pin cable?

It’s 8-pin mini din. I had a good look this evening. (Middle pin is slightly off-centre, btw).

I suspect the wiring is proprietry, so I’ll just have to experiment I guess.

This is the fecker, for sure…

Seeker4, I think a lot of pins are probably saved by combining the grounds. On the 15 pin VGA connector, there is a separate ground for red, green, blue, vertical sync and horizontal sync. Also, horizontal and vertical syncs are likely combined on the 8-pin connector.

Woohoo!! I managed to find a similar box here: lifeview.com/usa/html/produc … /TVbox.htm

You can see that it uses the same scenario from the graphics card to the VGA input of the box. Let’s hope these things aren’t as rare as I thought. Computer market here I come! (Well, on Friday).

OK, my last annoying bump for this thread. For everyone who helped, thanks. I found this just now. The exact cable I need with a wiring diagram. How sweet is that? Of course I’m guessing the wiring will be the same, as it’s used for a very similar device, so it’s the best starting point I can possibly get.

(from tvone.crmdesk.com/image.aspx?mode=file&id=91)

Wish me luck, lol.