Help, is my computer dying?

This intermittant fault started on Saturday, and has been getting worse. It only happend after I downloaded the upgrade of a…Microsoft product! Bill’s out to get us Mac users I’m sure!

The computer works fine, just the screen has a problem.

Help please.

Okay, I think it is an Internet related problem. If I log out, the screen and computer function normally. When I use the Internet the problem returns. I’m posting using Firefox now and even though it flickered a little on start -up it is stable now.

I’m going to try IE to see if it effects that.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

L.

It appears that Firefox is effected too.

It seems to only take about four minutes for it to start going wobbly.

Arrgh!

Erm… I’d love to help, but I know nothing about Macs. It IS a Mac, isn’t it? Can you be more specific. Also, can you be more specific about what you upgraded? It might be easier to find an answer for you.

Hi Stu, Yeah it’s a G4.

I just cleared out the cache and ran a clean-up program. One thing that occured to me is that we never switch of the modem box. We were told not to by the engineer. I’ve just reset it and am now waiting to see what happends. I can honestly say that the box hasn’t been switched of for two years.

The software update would have been for Word 04. I’m hoping that it was just ghosties in the modem. I’ll give an hour or so and check again. Not even a flicker since I logged on though. Weird eh?

I guess it is possible for the modem to produce this kid of interference.

Cheers.

[quote=“Limey”]Hi Stu, Yeah it’s a G4.

I just cleared out the cache and ran a clean-up program. One thing that occured to me is that we never switch of the modem box. We were told not to by the engineer. I’ve just reset it and am now waiting to see what happends. I can honestly say that the box hasn’t been switched of for two years.

The software update would have been for Word 04. I’m hoping that it was just ghosties in the modem. I’ll give an hour or so and check again. Not even a flicker since I logged on though. Weird eh?

I guess it is possible for the modem to produce this kid of interference.

Cheers.[/quote]

I wouldn’t have thought so. It’s totally bizarre.

still happening. Bollocks!

I’d wager it has nothing to do with Microsquish.

Does it happen after your iBook wakes from sleep or after you move it or open the lid? There’s actually a fair bit on Apple discussions about this - some say it could be a pinched display cable, reed switch, or logic board problem. Try searching “screen flicker” here:
http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=131

Some have suggested resetting the PMU (which controls backlighting and resets NVRAM):
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

I’d wager it has nothing to do with Microsquish.

Does it happen after your iBook wakes from sleep or after you move it or open the lid? There’s actually a fair bit on Apple discussions about this - some say it could be a pinched display cable, reed switch, or logic board problem. Try searching “screen flicker” here:
http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=131

Some have suggested resetting the PMU (which controls backlighting and resets NVRAM):
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449[/quote]

Yeah, I agree with smelly the glove. I don’t think connecting to internet (or not) can in any way affect it.

Funny you posted that link SG, I just posted my question over there. What is strange is that it’s fine now! It went really bad an hour ago, but now it’s fine.

I’ll have a look at reseting the PMU.

Thanks guys.

Edit: Seconds after pressing the ‘submit’ button it returns!

[quote=“Limey”]Funny you posted that link SG, I just posted my question over there. What is strange is that it’s fine now! It went really bad an hour ago, but now it’s fine.

I’ll have a look at reseting the PMU.

Thanks guys.

Edit: Seconds after pressing the ‘submit’ button it returns![/quote]

Just don’t smash the screen up like you did with your last laptop. :stuck_out_tongue:

If it weren’t a Mac I would say ye had a virus. Are there virus for Mac’s yet?

Of course there are some, but we’re generally far too arrogant to admit it. :smiley:

To wit,
http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/getamac_ads1/viruses_320x256.mov

More recent Apple advertizing silliness here:
http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

OMG borrowed a laptop from the missus. Heap o’ shite. I want my Apple!

Thanks for the help guys, an engineer will look at it tomorrow.

Cheers,

L.

Well… did he fix it?

Not yet, He can’t find the friggin’ problem. Says it could be to do with the desktop image being too low reolution. Sound like cow poo to me.

Guess I’ll get it back and just wait 'n see. It is unusually hot in my room, temperature can effect a Mac’s screen this way. Guess I’ll just have to run the mains cable into the fridge!

L.

I would imagine a good tech would have access to all information about when this could happen. They could at least talk to Apple.

That JinHua store seems to be the place where people do repairs?

Either way, even if you’re computer had no problems, it isn’t a bad time to upgrade to a MacBook. They are very fast. And if you want to run Windows or Linux, even at the same time thru a virtual machine, that’s very fast too.

[quote=“Limey”]Not yet, He can’t find the friggin’ problem. Says it could be to do with the desktop image being too low reolution. Sound like cow poo to me.

Guess I’ll get it back and just wait 'n see. It is unusually hot in my room, temperature can effect a Mac’s screen this way. Guess I’ll just have to run the mains cable into the fridge!

L.[/quote]

Hold on a second. Is the desktop picture the ONLY image that’s affected by all this??

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“Limey”]Not yet, He can’t find the friggin’ problem. Says it could be to do with the desktop image being too low reolution. Sound like cow poo to me.

L.[/quote]

Hold on a second. Is the desktop picture the ONLY image that’s affected by all this??[/quote]

No, not at all. It is global. He returned it last night, saying he never saw the problem! I plugged it in and within three minutes we had the gremelins back. Tried unplugging all the cables, internet, mains, printer, mouse, speakers even the fan. Exaclty the same. took the lift down to the basement, the same. My fiancee has taken to to work - about two miles away - not a problem, gone, nada, squit, fuck-all!

The PC (which I’m using now) is fine I can only assume that there is something interfering with the Mac at this location. If the engineer can’t replicate the problem in his office, and the problem doesn’t exist in another location, then it must be something effecting it in this location right? Right.

Solution? Cover the thing with cooking foil? Don’t use the Mac at home? Continue to use the borrowed machine, and hope the problem doesn’t happen when we move out? I don’t know. It’s just frustrating now!

The Mac works fine, but I don’t want to risk damaging it if the screen continues to react like this, so I’d rather not use it.

The engineer is going to the office today and will have another look for me - however, what can he do if there’s nothing to look at?
L.

The only thing I can think of is electrical interference…

Is it possible to change the refresh rate of your screen (I’m grasping at straws here)?