Help, is my computer dying?

You could move. Remember 90% of all accidents happen within 5 Km of your home. :sunglasses:

It might be power. Many Comp Engineers her tell me that the power in my home is bad. It blew out 2 motherboards in my printer. Try getting an UPS. Its a big battery like thing that goes between the wall and the computer. (This goes for everyone. If you donā€™t have one get one now!). They are about $1000 Nt of an ok one here. The good ones have more plug ins, longer battery times and Sine wave thingies. :help: More is better right.
Well. They help anyways.

But if you are in the path of a microwave broadcast tower or under the high voltage lines you might need to build a Faraday cage. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Good luck.

[quote=ā€œChickenā€]You could move. Remember 90% of all accidents happen within 5 Km of your home. :sunglasses:

It might be power. Many Comp Engineers her tell me that the power in my home is bad. It blew out 2 motherboards in my printer. Try getting an UPS. Its a big battery like thing that goes between the wall and the computer. (This goes for everyone. If you donā€™t have one get one now!). They are about $1000 Nt of an ok one here. The good ones have more plug ins, longer battery times and Sine wave thingies. :help: More is better right.
Well. They help anyways.

But if you are in the path of a microwave broadcast tower or under the high voltage lines you might need to build a Faraday cage. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Good luck.[/quote]

No, not power, same thing happeneds when using the battery and no mains.

[quote=ā€œirishstuā€]The only thing I can think of is electrical interferenceā€¦

Is it possible to change the refresh rate of your screen (Iā€™m grasping at straws here)?[/quote]

I donā€™t know - Iā€™m a computer knob-head. How do I do this?

L.

[quote=ā€œLimeyā€]

[quote=ā€œirishstuā€]The only thing I can think of is electrical interferenceā€¦

Is it possible to change the refresh rate of your screen (Iā€™m grasping at straws here)?[/quote]

I donā€™t know - Iā€™m a computer knob-head. How do I do this?

L.[/quote]

Hmmmā€¦ Iā€™m afraid when it comes to macs, Iā€™m a mac-knob-head. Youā€™d need to wait for an answer from a mac-not-knob-head.

Itā€™s not refresh rate.

One guess would be some way in which Limey puts pressure against the case.

Post a question to the Apple forums. Thereā€™s also the excellent subscription required macfixit.

Sad about Apple support, or probably even any support in Taiwan. If you can video it, maybe itā€™ll help convince them. Do what you need to get it sent to right people.

With your iBook CDs, there are diagnostics. Forgot how, just did it once with my MBP. Look it up. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I donā€™t really mean refresh rate is the problem. Itā€™s more a way to maybe avoid the interference by having the screen refresh at a different rate from the interference. But like I saidā€¦ Iā€™m grasping at strawsā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I donā€™t really mean refresh rate is the problem. Itā€™s more a way to maybe avoid the interference by having the screen refresh at a different rate from the interference. But like I saidā€¦ Iā€™m grasping at strawsā€¦ :p[/quote]

:slight_smile:

The image is posturized. Iā€™ve been thinking how can that happen. A loose part that rarely shows itself? A power flux?

Seems like a lot of effort to figure it out. Possible? Yes if you like that stuff. Learn about electronics, video systems, look at manuals, even find the Apple manual technicians use. Itā€™s out there. Scout macfixit it or the Apple forums if you havenā€™t yet. Those are the to places on the net youā€™d most likely find an answer. Google it.

Take it to an Apple place and convince them to keep it til they figure it out.

You probably wonā€™t get the answer here. None of us are spending as much time as necessary to find a fix. :slight_smile: Only you can do that Limey.

Ahh, pain in the butt this is turning out to be. The problem surfaced away from home, so we now know it is not to do with location! Bugger! A new screen is on the expensive side too, but it is a good machine, and I canā€™t warrant buying a new one just yet. Hell, it is only three years old. But I guess it has to do with the amout of use it gets.

Anyway, now the engineer has seen the problem we are at least on the way to finding out whether it needs a new screen or there is something else wrong with it.

Thanks gary, as ever, for the great advice. I posted over on the apple forum - must log in and see if there has been any posts recently.

Cheers guys for the support and help - I really appreciate it!

L.

[quote=ā€œLimeyā€]A new screen is on the expensive side too, but it is a good machine, and I canā€™t warrant buying a new one just yet.
L.[/quote]

I know almost nothing about electronics but Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s not the screen. Itā€™s something leading up to it.

If the text is also wobbly, and not just the images, then I suspect that it could be to do with the connections leading up to the screen. These can be affected by two thingsā€¦
1: The angle of the screen
2: The heat generated inside the laptop (Would explain how it doesnā€™t appear for a long time. Heat will bend and warp things, leading to bad connections. Cooling down will make them band back into place.

Anyway, if this is the case, you wonā€™t need a new screen, but someone will have to take your laptop apart and make sure the connector is secure.

Look on the bright side. At least you donā€™t have one of the new mooing Macbooks. MP3 of that sound (fan) in action:
http://www.appledefects.com/media/moo.mp3

Seriously, Iā€™m at a loss as to what to tell you. It is essential, however, that the tech person see the screen flicker - otherwise there will be no way for him to assess the problem and/or admit he doesnā€™t know. The Apple discussion forums do broach the iBook flicker problem ā€“ did you have any luck turning up anything there?

No, no luck over at apple, very strange - usually problems are solved quite quickly there. Iā€™ll refresh the post - hopefully someone wil see it. The engineer still has the Mac. He wasnā€™t at the office yesterday, so Iā€™ll give him a call later and see whatā€™s going on.

There used to be a compnay that advertised here, wonder if they know anything about Macs?

L.

Erm, this wouldnā€™t be the same as what youā€™re experiencing, would it?

eMac Repair Extension Program

Bad news. The screen is dying.

Okay decision time. Help me out.

A brand new LCD will set me back $15,000
A second hand screen around $7,000

But - Iā€™m leaving Taiwan in about five weeks to go to Oz, travelling and working. I was hoping to take it with me, but in this condition it is not worth it. It seems silly to fork out 15K on a new screen. Even if I go for the cheaper second hand screen there will be no guarentee that it will last. So, do I try to sell it in the condition it is in now, or relace the screen and then try to sell? It is a beautiful machine and Iā€™ve been told that I should get around $25,00 for it if I replace the screen.

It was also a birthday present, which makes it an even more difficult decision to make.

Honestly Iā€™m pissed. I wasnā€™t very computer savvy when I got it and have learned a lot on that machine. Iā€™ve also learned that for me a Mac is the better option, they are just simpler, quicker and less hassle to use.

What do you think people? Feel free to PM me with offers, but Iā€™d like to hear your opinions anyway. There is no point putting this over at Apple 'cause theyā€™ll just say ā€œKeep it! - Apple or die!ā€

L.

Iā€™d go for the 7000$ second hand one. After all, the rest of the computerā€™s second hand too. Imagine you buy a brand new LCD and the motherboard goes next year or something.

Sure, but because weā€™re leaving it might be worth just getting rid of. Mmmm, decisions.

Well even if youā€™re selling it, Iā€™d still say go for the second hand one (even more reason, in fact).