Help me choose an English name that is easy for Chinese to pronounce?

[quote=“marble”][quote=“jmcd”]As I was growing up, I heard about an American teenage girl who was a family friend named Lucy.

I finally met her after she came back to Taiwan with her husband and son. I found out her name is Ruth not Lucy.
I was shocked, I asked her why. She said no one could pronounce the “th”, so she was called Lucy.

No Thomas, nothing with “th”.

Oh! R tends to truned into L. Lice instead of rice.[/quote]

Thanks.

Would there be any problem with name Jason and Alex?[/quote]

I would pick Jason over Alex.

Just remind them Ja"son" is pronouns just like son.

I have problem with “l”. I just can’t pronounce Kleenex or clinic properly, although Alex is not as difficult to pronouns as Kleenex.

[quote=“jmcd”]

I have problem with “l”. I just can’t pronounce Kleenex or clinic properly, although Alex is not as difficult to pronouns as Kleenex.[/quote]

I thought the “son” in Jason is pronouned like Chinese 森 (sen) and not pronouned like son (similar sound like sun)?

It’s somewhere between the two: the vowel is a schwa. People will understand if you say ‘森’ or ‘son’ though. It’s not a big deal. English is a language with a lot of allophonic variation so it’s not so important. When people can’t understand, it’s usually because of poor stress or intonation rather than individual sounds so I wouldn’t worry too much about picking a name. Just pick one you like. If it’s not a legal or religious thing so you can change it whenever you like, anyway.

[quote=“marble”][quote=“jmcd”]

I have problem with “l”. I just can’t pronounce Kleenex or clinic properly, although Alex is not as difficult to pronouns as Kleenex.[/quote]

I thought the “son” in Jason is pronouned like Chinese 森 (sen) and not pronouned like son (similar sound like sun)?[/quote]

[quote=“marble”]Hello everyone,

I am looking for an English name that is easy for people who does not know English to say it. Could anyone advice me what name is easy to say in Taiwan?

I thought of the following names, any pro and cons for them to use in Chinese speaking countries?

Jason
Alex
Vincent
Thomas

Would Alex or Jason be easier to pronounce for people who does not know English?

Thanks a lot. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Jason is easy.

Alex is a shit show (ah-ley-kuh-seu!)

Vincent is OK.

Thomas is slightly mangled.

What does shit show mean?

[quote=“marble”][quote=“jmcd”]

I thought the “son” in Jason is pronouned like Chinese 森 (sen) and not pronouned like son (similar sound like sun)?[/quote]

You are correct. Now that I stop and think about it.

I have forgotten one of my husband’s sayings to our son, his beamish boy:

You are so bright because you are my son(sun).

Jason, John, Tom, Peter n Leo.

Same as a shower of shit.

Like “Judas Wenceslas”…?