Help Me Choose an Okinawa Hotel For My 4 Day Visa-Run

Hey Folks,

For my first VISA run out of Taiwan, I decided to stay 4 days in Okinawa to visit.

I need to find a hotel for 4 days, ideally close to touristy things.

Budget is less than 100 US dollars a day, 50 would be nice.

Looking for members feedback who have been there before.

Thanks,

-Delonge182

Just sleep on urodacus’ floor. Or sleep in his bed and make HIM sleep on the floor. Free of charge and you can also raid his fridge.

well, yeah, it’s a nice place. I’d be staying somewhere in Onna village (mid island) if I were you, or in Sunabe area if you like snorkelling (bit further south).

Most Japanese tourists stay in Onna where the beaches are best, but the big hotels seem to have eaten up all the best little beaches. Some reasonable places to eat along Onna route 58, the main road along the west coast.

more food places and nightlife can be found closer to Sunabe/Mihama area, but more Americans too. They’re mostly harmless off-base.

This hotel looks OK: http://www.jumbotours.co.jp/en/hotels/okinawa-main-islands/chatan/seaside_hotel_the_beach/

a bit cheaper, and right on the seawall is the Sunset American, I think it’s called.

also see this page for more ideas. http://bluefi.com/english/?page_id=28

Sunabe is about 50 minutes north of the airport by bus, and the sea wall is a ten minute walk away from the bus stop at the Family Mart on route 58, over the road from the big air base. on the other hand, you will probably like to rent a car for at least a couple of days, as there is not much public transport here, and some of the best bits of the island are in the far north, the far eastern islands (road bridges) and the western peninsula (Nago/ nakijin area)

Here is a decent modern hotel for around 50 bucks a night, centrally located in Naha (just around the corner from the famous Kokusai Street, and next to a monorail station that gives you access to more touristy things you could possibly take care of in 4 days):
toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00055/index.html
Phone 002-81-98-867-1045

I was going to suggest that you stay in a smaller and cheaper place (20 bucks a night) in that same area and save your money for excursions and evenings out, but then i just reminded myself that an expat visitor from Taiwan doesn’t usually speak Japanese, so that option is likely out - but the staff just might speak English - give it a try:
yukuru.jp/
Phone 002-81-98-863-4006

Anyway, especially for someone who doesn’t speak Japanese or the local language, staying in an urban center would give you way more options (flexibility) than staying in the countryside - unless all you basically want to do is spend your days on the beach…

If you stay in Naha, drop in at “Rehab” (on Kokusai Street) at night:
okinawaforums.com/content/view/29/1/
The owner and staff (themselves expats) speak English and can fill you in on what to do and where to go…

There are zillions of tourism websites - perhaps an easy one to start with is this one:
ocvb.or.jp/en/index.html

There is also a bit of truth between the lines at uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Naha

Wow, thanks for the quality advice all. Very helpful.

I think I’ll take Sandman’s advice and just sleep on urodacus’ floor :slight_smile:

Seriously, toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00055/index.html

I think I’ll go for this one.

Thanks All

-delonge182

Just want to thank Yuli and the rest, the Toyoko hotel and location were AWESOME.

I had a nice trip. Saw Kokusai street obviously, Shuri Castle, the Chinese Gardens in Naha, and I was at Tropical Beach today.

The food was great too, delicious and healthy.

The people were nice, but there were Marines everywhere, and I could tell the local people were uneasy about them.

Sometimes I felt I wasn’t welcome here. I even went to a place that sported a “Japanese Only” sign which I thought was racist.

I read up about all the abuse caused by Marines, and felt kinda sorry for the people of this Island and its troubled past.

The locals were still very nice to me, probably because I didn’t have a shaved head.

I did miss the Taiwanese people though, which I find more welcoming to foreigners.

Thanks again,

[quote=“Delonge182”]I had a nice trip.[/quote]Good to hear that. And about your visa renewal - any useful hints to share? (There might be other visa run candidates… :slight_smile: )

[quote]Sometimes I felt I wasn’t welcome here.[/quote]That can happen, but it’s more likely that people feel uneasy because of the language barrier. Did you ever try using one of the languages that are widely spoken in Taiwan? :wink:

[quote]The locals were still very nice to me, probably because I didn’t have a shaved head.[/quote]Yeah, that does help - although there are places (with business hours late in the day) where a shaved head is an advantage, because it is usually interpreted to mean that the owner of said head has a decent income (a plus/must in the “pay-n-play” scene)… :whistle:

Hey Yuli,

I didn’t need to renew, because I have a 1 year tourist visa to Taiwan.

Immigration was very easy going, and they just stamped my entry and exit dates just asking for the purpose of the visit.

• Delonge182

PS: Just read that Okinawa has one of the biggest aquariums in the world… Missed that, and I also want to go deep see charter fishing next time I go.

[quote=“Delonge182”]I didn’t need to renew, because I have a 1 year tourist visa to Taiwan.[/quote]Ah, that’s interesting… here, i believe, “visa run” can mean that you leave Japan temporarily because you want to change the kind of permit you have (say, a tourist permit, which cannot be upgraded while you are in the country*) into another type of permit (say, a work permit). It can also mean that you leave because your (non-extendable) tourist permit is about to expire and you want to come back on a new tourist permit. Korea is apparently a popular destination for visa runs from Japan, and in the case of getting a new tourist permit and get back into Japan within a few days of leaving, this apparently works often enough the first time, but chances supposedly decrease a lot with subsequent attempts (but think of all of this as hearsay, since it is just stuff i’ve read on foreigner forums in Japan - here is one example of that kind of discussion:
japan-guide.com/forum/querea … ml?0+53941).

• I heard not long ago (maybe last year) that someone changed from a tourist permit to something else (study or work permit) while being in the country - this could be because rules have been relaxed or just because of the usual flexibility in the system (many things can be done if you know how to negotiate and talk to the right person at the right time).

[quote]Immigration was very easy going, and they just stamped my entry and exit dates just asking for the purpose of the visit.[/quote]And you said, “visa run”? :wink: :slight_smile:

[quote]Just read that Okinawa has one of the biggest aquariums in the world…[/quote]Yes, it’s at the tip of the Motobu peninsula (that part that sticks out from Okinawa Island to the northwest of Nago). You can do a day trip from Naha, but it is less stress to stay one night in Nago and go from there. (A conveniently located and affordable place for that kind of trip could be the Yugaf Inn - they have info in English and Chinese as well: yugaf.com/international/ )

Well I guess it’s not a VISA run then, since I’m not changing status, but I do need to leave Taiwan every month, as required by Taiwanese Immigration.

Otherwise my VISA will become void.

[quote=“Delonge182”]Well I guess it’s not a VISA run then, since I’m not changing status[/quote]… if you see the matter from a Japanese perspective. :slight_smile: (That is to say, my comment was not meant to question your choice of terminology - i just noticed that there is a different usage/meaning on our side…)

[quote]but I do need to leave Taiwan every month, as required by Taiwanese Immigration.

Otherwise my VISA will become void.[/quote]I see - although i admit that i don’t understand why. :wink: As a French citizen, can you not stay for 60 days at a time?

I guess until now i have hardly given any thoughts to the particulars of Taiwanese visas, since i can go there and stay for 90 days without requiring a visa at all (and that is much longer than i can afford right now, since i am neither independently wealthy :wink: nor paid to be there - not yet, at least: i am still working on that)…