Help me describe a colour

Somewhere in here?

[quote=“Loretta”]I remember being in a supermarket in the USA once where the checkout lady looked at the name embossed on my credit card and announced “Wow, your name is the same as the paint colour I’ve just used for my bedroom.” (Except she said ‘color’, of course.)

I hate paint companies. Mostly because I’m crap with colours. If you’re bored then try try this ‘guess the colour’ game featuring paint names.

There’s a list of crap names going back decades at this site. Or, if you’re really feeling mental, why not try the dulux site’s colour chooser?[/quote]

Be careful when translating those funky paints with a auto-translator, especially from Chinese.

[quote]Bad Translation Software Called Couch “Nigger-Brown”
A couch labeled as “nigger-brown” got its offensive name from a bad translation program, according to the furniture’s supplier.

When users enter “dark brown” in Chinese in older versions of the Kingsoft program, its spits out the n-bomb. Newer versions don’t, but if you type the slur in English, “dark brown” shows in Chinese.

The supplier, who hasn’t updated the translation software in 10 years, blames the software. The couch store owner, who came to Canada in 1972 from India, says he’s never heard the word before. The lady who bought the couch is considering suing. — BEN POPKEN[/quote]

HG

Well, because:

1. I’m not allowed to, and
  2. the photo doesn’t accurately reflect the true colour, especially when translated to RGB for web use (every monitor will display it differently).

Anyway, that’s why I originally asked for links to sites with a list of colours, so I could try to find a suitable one myself, given that only I’ve seen it.

And lastly, what Sandman said. :wink:[/quote]So not only are we doing your work for you, we’ll get fired for you if you cock it up because you don’t want to show us what we’re suppose to be describing. Lovely.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Somewhere in here?
[/quote]

Well, that one called “greenish-blue” is pretty close, but then “greenish-blue” isn’t a very good description. I mean, that could also describe a bright turquoise colour. Funny thing is, I asked the graphics guys what they would have called it in Chinese, and they said… erm “lan lu se”*, so, you know…

There’s also another one there that’s pretty close, but it just says “www” and another that doesn’t say anything.

Anyway, we’ve officially gone with “teal slate”, and I owe Sandman a big kiss next time I see him.

Thanks everyone for your help.

*Please excuse my Romanisation

I’d call it qing, which is officially the colour of dragon scales. You can’t go wrong.

HG

[quote=“irishstu”]doesn’t accurately reflect the true colour, especially when translated to RGB for web use (every monitor will display it differently).

Anyway, that’s why I originally asked for links to sites with a list of colours,[/quote]

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: So it’s true what they say about Irish people!

“It won’t look right on my monitor, so let me have a look on the internet.” Right.

[quote=“Loretta”][quote=“irishstu”]doesn’t accurately reflect the true colour, especially when translated to RGB for web use (every monitor will display it differently).

Anyway, that’s why I originally asked for links to sites with a list of colours,[/quote]

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: So it’s true what they say about Irish people!

“It won’t look right on my monitor, so let me have a look on the internet.” Right.[/quote]

Hmmm… let me see…

From en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teal_(color

You see, some of us do more than just look at the pictures.

Iris,

You still haven’t responded re “Monkey-Shit Green.”

I recognize that monkey shit comes in a variety of hues, depending on the monkey’s diet and other factors, but I believe – as descriptions of technology products go – it’s fairly catchy, evocative and marketable.

Sure, it’s a slightly edgy approach that has the possibility of offending some potential buyers; but it also has great potential appeal due to its hipness and originality in the staid market of boring technological devices. That and it may well be the most accurate description.

What do you think? Willing to give it a try and strive for greatness by differentiating yourself with an innovative blue ocean strategy, or will you settle for boring mediocrity instead?

I have no idea what saturation means, and cyan is something they give you when you go on secret missions in case you get caught. Is this some kind of secret agent gadget?

“Now, listen here, ling ling chi, this is your portable translating unit, used for understanding the labels on furniture. DO NOT get it wet, as it’s designed for low saturation only. Should you be captured by the Klingons, lick the back vigorously. This will give you superpowers which you can use to escape. Honestly. And don’t fiddle with these buttons. L (for Laoban, the Taiwan equivelant of M) has decided for you what settings you will need. Are you listening to me, ling ling chi?”

[quote=“Loretta”]I have no idea what saturation means, and cyan is something they give you when you go on secret missions in case you get caught. Is this some kind of secret agent gadget?

“Now, listen here, ling ling chi, this is your portable translating unit, used for understanding the labels on furniture. DO NOT get it wet, as it’s designed for low saturation only. Should you be captured by the Klingons, lick the back vigorously. This will give you superpowers which you can use to escape. Honestly. And don’t fiddle with these buttons. L (for Laoban, the Taiwan equivelant of M) has decided for you what settings you will need. Are you listening to me, ling ling chi?”[/quote]

:smiley: That’s clasic, love it. When is the film (“Ling ling chi and the war of colours”) coming out?

Saturation is more or less the “intensity” of a colour. A high saturation means a bright and intense colour while a low saturation let the colour kind of fade towards grey.

Regarding the name, hey just stick to something reliable. Just call it P631C or something like that out of the Pantone fan. Gives the whole thing a very “spacy” feeling like C3P0 and R2D2 and should fit to a technical device. :smiley:

You could just call it something between 500-520 nm for that modern hip nomenclature.

Azure 515 nm.
Cyan 502 Angstrom.

People won’t mistaken the color like that.

How about Darth Teal?