Help me find a large bike in Taiwan

I don’t live in Taipei although I like to go for a ride when I go there. Actually I did do it this past weekend; yeah it was a bit of a pain on the trail leading up to Tamsui with the narrow paths, people dismounting on the ascents, and pedestrians.

But I live in Nantou. I had a look on Strava and there are trails around here recorded on it; well they’re all roads I think. I’m wondering if there’s many dedicated cycling trails around.

I guess I’ll want to get a bike. Ah man I’ve got no clue what to look for in a bike or how much to spend

NTD28,000, standard Giant beginners road bike, nice 34 cog gear for the big hills.

https://www.giantcyclingworld.com/bike.php?id=20323171

1 Like

TCR and scultura are popular in tw, great climbing bikes

That’s what I bought a few years aho. But it came with a 32 cog gear. The change is a good one.

Time for an upgrade?

1 Like

That isn’t a beginners price :tired_face:

I meant, upgrading the entire bike :wink:

1 Like

Lol I am not into road racing or anything like that, I just want a bike for to ride for leisure.
10k would be a good amount to spend on a bike.

1 Like

Suggested retail price: NT$9,800.

Looks good :sunglasses:

One of these days. But as I mentioned somewhere, there’s a part of me that really enjoys doing halfway decently in the tri races on my crappy road bike!

1 Like

That’s true.

I sometimes feel pressure to do well during events with my bike. I die a little inside when someone with a 10k bike zooms by me, but that’s life.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t know how well I can afford a 28k bike lol. I mean I’d have the cash to spare but… well I’d prefer something cheaper
How easy is it to resell one?

There’s a huge second hand market in Taiwan, but I don’t know personally how easy it is to resell your bike. I bought the red one here for 15,000 nt for my wife. Almost never used.

IMG_20190309_091242

I think the resale value would be pretty low. I’ve seen a lot of stuff (mostly I look at bicycles and guitars) just sit if it is not bargain basement price and/or something especially desirable.
But you never know. Being willing to ship anywhere on the island would help for sure because many non-pro sellers won’t.

Yikes, these things depreciate like a BMW. I had a look on facebook and there’s one that was 68k, near new for 28k

Something like that could be worth it if in excellent condition- already depreciated and likely a better bike with better parts, might even have upgrades.

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking now. Well I’m gonna have to find the right size, but it seems I’ll get a lot better value for money than buying new

It’s very likely that you won’t get high value for your money here in Taiwan.

Unlike what I’ve seen overseas, sellers in Taiwan will want to keep as much money as they spent on the bike. Personally, I’m the opposite, I would rather sell it at a low price and get rid of it asap (so I can buy something new to replace it).

That doesn’t mean a good deal doesn’t exist, good luck!

Any links to facebook groups selling bikes?