Help me get from Taipei to Taichung

I have been reading this site for about half a year now and just joined it today. This is such a great forum, truly an asset for those living and considering to live in Taiwan.

I am headed to Taiwan for a visit soon. I land in Taipei and will spend some time first in Taichung then in Taipei.

I am just a little unsure how to catch the train from Taipei to Taichung. I am sure its not overly complex but after a long flight it would be nice to have more than just a general idea of what to do. I want to catch the train the same day I land in Taipei. I land before noon.

Can I just ask the airport information desk how to catch that train? Do trains regularly depart? Is the train station far from the airport? How do I store my luggage, I have one luggage and one nap sack. Will they allow me to carry my nap Sack on the train? Is there a chance my luggage may get stolen( I have been reading way to many theft posts I guess).

Also, can i book a 2 way trip? Or is it one way only?

Any help/details/suggestions would be very much appreciated.
I am also prepared for a few flames

Actually, you won’t really be landing in Taipei, you’ll be landing an hour south of Taipei in Taoyuan. Taichung is around another hour south of Taoyuan. The fastest way to get from the airport to Taichung is to take a bus direct from the airport. Well, assuming you want to take public transport that is - you can also get a taxi for around NT$1,000 direct to Taichung.

Assuming you can;t speak Chinese, best if you have the address, in Chinese, of your final destination.

Can I just ask the airport information desk how to catch that train?

Yes, the airport folks will direct you to the BUS stop. There are buses every half hour or so . . if not more frequently.

Here’s a link to Taichung - Airport buses

Will your luggage get stolen?

Highly unlikely. But of course you will keep your eye on it. Common theft is actually unusually uncommon in Taiwan.

Enjoy.

HG

DEFINITELY take the bus. If you’re already at the airport, then it’s cheaper, faster, and way more convenient. You are also guarranteed to have a seat, and your luggage will go underneath. I wouldn’t worry about theft.

Wow guys, thanks so much. Very fast response too :slight_smile:

So if i take a bus from Taoyuan to taichung, then how do i get fom taichung all the way to taipei? Is is there a bus that goes directly there, or do i go back to Taoyuan then to Taipei from there?

Also, are these shuttle busses or more like local transportation busses. Around here, toronto, the local busses have no place to put luggage, so i am guessing these are shuttle busses?

Can tickets be purchased round trip? If not, can i Buy 2 one ways, so that i can use one on the way back?

Does the bus drop me off at a “station” or just dump me off on the street corner… (dumb question i know)!!!

Also, are these busses frequent?

Thanks again,
i am so glad i decided to ask you guys…

So if I take a bus from Taoyuan to taichung, then how do I get fom taichung all the way to Taipei? Is is there a bus that goes directly there, or do I go back to Taoyuan then to Taipei from there?

You can take a bus, train or plane direct from Taichung to Taipei. They all run frequently. Taichung is Taiwan’s third biggest city.

Buses from the airport (not Taoyuan city) obvioulsy have luggage compartments. In fact all long distance buses (ie, Taichung to Taipei) have comfy seats and big luggage compartments.

Yeah, you can purchase round trip, but there isn’t much point heading back to Taoyuan when you want to go to Taipei.

Asd for frequency, there are oodles of bus companies and buses. Perhaps as frequent as every 15 minutes. Did you check the link?

The bus usually drops you at a a number of sstops . . . most likley by the side of the road. However, there are alsmot always taxis around the stops, whichis why i suggest you get your final destination written in Chinese or romanised to the point you’ll be able to make yourself \understood telling a taxi driver where you want to go.

Cheers.

HG

[quote=“benfato”]Wow guys, thanks so much. Very fast response too :slight_smile:

So if I take a bus from Taoyuan to taichung, then how do I get fom taichung all the way to Taipei? Is is there a bus that goes directly there, or do I go back to Taoyuan then to Taipei from there?

Also, are these shuttle busses or more like local transportation busses. Around here, toronto, the local busses have no place to put luggage, so I am guessing these are shuttle busses?

Can tickets be purchased round trip? If not, can i Buy 2 one ways, so that I can use one on the way back?

Does the bus drop me off at a “station” or just dump me off on the street corner… (dumb question I know)!!!

Also, are these busses frequent?

Thanks again,
I am so glad i decided to ask you guys…[/quote]

Well, if you’re IN Taichung, then you can take the train back to Taipei and get off at Taipei main station. Getting back, take the train again. Last I knew there was a bus company right next to the train station in Taipei too, if you prefer the bus.

For me, the train. And yes, if you don’t speak Chinese, have someone write down the addresses you need to get to for the taxi drivers or 7-11 clerks you may need to accost.

Peace

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”] Did you check the link?
[/quote]
The link is bad because of the additional full-stop at the very end. It should be:

cksairport.gov.tw/CKSeng/tra … hung_e.jsp

Where about do you want to go in Taichung? Perhaps we can give you some more information based on that.

It’s also really easy to catch the bus back to Taipei. Tong Lien buses go to Taipei Main Station. Just hop in a cab and say ‘Tong Lien Jen’. The taxi drivers know it.

Or else the Golden Dragon bus line goes to Chungshiao Fuxing, bus line is Juen Long in Chinese.

Both of these bus companies are on Taichung Gang Lu, or Taichung Harbour Rd.

Or across from the sogo there is a FeGo bus stop. Just cross Taichung Kang Lu at Sogo and make a right. Lots of buses to Taipei Main Station too. The options are limitless!!!

One thing: When you get off the plane you willl be in Taoyuan County, but the city is Chungli. Taoyuan City would be a separate bus ride.

When you are coming back to the airport don’t say you want to go to Taoyuan. Say you want to go to C.K.S. Airport.

[quote=“puiwaihin”]

When you are coming back to the airport don’t say you want to go to Taoyuan. Say you want to go to C.K.S. Airport.[/quote] I’ve found not saying anything and just stretching out my arms fully to both sides is equally or possibly more efficient at getting the message across. Seriously you will just get funny looks at most Taichung bus stations if you say “C.K.S airport” in English.

Thanks everybody! Great information :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link Huang Guang Chen, I had some trouble navagating through it though, rice_t thanks for an updated link I printed the schedule.

One last question, do I pay for the bus on the bus? or buy a ticket at some kind of station.

I will be staying in Taichung at Fuh Chun Hotel, and in taipei World Scholar House. They are Hostels. I was a bit reluctant to decide to stay in the hostel but the price is just so cheap that i would rather do that than start tapping into savings. Anyone have any experience with these places.

Thanks again everyone :sunglasses:

[quote=“Matchstick_man”][quote=“puiwaihin”]

When you are coming back to the airport don’t say you want to go to Taoyuan. Say you want to go to C.K.S. Airport.[/quote] I’ve found not saying anything and just stretching out my arms fully to both sides is equally or possibly more efficient at getting the message across. Seriously you will just get funny looks at most Taichung bus stations if you say “C.K.S airport” in English.[/quote]
True, but saying “Taoyuan” would certainly put him in the wrong place. :wink:

A fair approximation of things you’ll want to say could be:
“Jong Lee” for Chungli and “Gee Chung” (rhymes with Bee Lung) for air port
Better yet, let me give you the exact sounds to listen to:
Chung Li Gee Chung
Note that these are NOT correct pinyin. This is just for you to be able to say this one simple thing.

Cool. Thanks puiwaihin. I dont know if I can ever get the pronunciation of Chung! Thats some complex tone there.

Strong suggestion: Get the address of these places written down in Chinese.

Sort of like this for the airport:
Please take me to the CKS Airport.

請 帶 我 去 中正 國 際 機 場

And it seems I was wrong about it belonging to Chungli, so forget all I said about that.
I can give you the pronunciation for “Zhong Zheng Guo Ji Ji Chang” (CKS Airport) if you want.

thanks puiwaihin, if you can get the pronunciation to “Zhong Zheng Guo Ji Ji Chang” that would be great.

I have the chinese characters for World Scholar House in taipei but not for Fuh Chun Hotel in Taichung. I do have a map of its exact location so i am hoping i can point to the cab driver.

I have the lonely planet guide and it calls the street Zhongshan Rd.

But i have another source from the internet that calls it C.h.u.n.g S.h.a.n Road. ( i am putting periods on there on purpose. for some reason this browser will spell what I wrote the same as the first one)

Hmm…so which is it and would drivers understand either of them if i showed the name and pointed on a map?

[quote=“benfato”]thanks puiwaihin, if you can get the pronunciation to “Zhong Zheng Guo Ji Ji Chang” that would be great.

I have the Chinese characters for World Scholar House in Taipei but not for Fuh Chun Hotel in Taichung. I do have a map of its exact location so I am hoping I can point to the cab driver.

I have the lonely planet guide and it calls the street Zhongshan Rd.

But I have another source from the internet that calls it Zhongshan Road.

Hmm…so which is it and would drivers understand either of them if i showed the name and pointed on a map?[/quote]
I would not count on that working. However, apparently the hostel is located directly across from the Taichung train station. So you can just tell them to take you to the train station. che zhan

Attacked by the pinyin nazifier. The system on here converts standard Taiwanese romanisation to the mainland system of romanising Chinese, or pinyin. Lonely Planet does the same.

C.hung S.han Road is a major road in Taichung. But it doesn’t really matter, few Chinese will recognise the romanised version. The Fuh Chun, I suppose that must be “Bountiful Spring” (erh, no on e will get that either), is at number 1, that has to be directly over the road from the railway station. Most buses depart and finish near the railways station in Taichung.

I’m sure it will all go easier than it now seems.

Welcome to Taiwan!

HG

(Thanks for fixing the link Rice).

thanks everybody. i will let you know how it goes…

[quote=“puiwaihin”]One thing: When you get off the plane you willl be in Taoyuan County, but the city is Chungli (Zhongli). Taoyuan City would be a separate bus ride.

When you are coming back to the airport don’t say you want to go to Taoyuan. Say you want to go to C.K.S. Airport.[/quote]

Don’t mean to confuse anyone further. But the airport is in Da-Yuan. The next closest place would be Nan-Kan (which is known for having Tai Mall). But I think both Da-Yuan and Nan-Kan are towns. The closest “city” is probably Chung-Li, but the airport is IN Da-Yuan.

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“puiwaihin”]One thing: When you get off the plane you willl be in Taoyuan County, but the city is Chungli (Zhongli) (Zhongli). Taoyuan City would be a separate bus ride.

When you are coming back to the airport don’t say you want to go to Taoyuan. Say you want to go to C.K.S. Airport.[/quote]

Don’t mean to confuse anyone further. But the airport is in Da-Yuan. The next closest place would be Nan-Kan (which is known for having Tai Mall). But I think both Da-Yuan and Nan-Kan are towns. The closest “city” is probably Chung-Li (Zhongli), but the airport is IN Da-Yuan.[/quote]
Yeah, I realized that too long after my post to go back and make the change without “cheating”. My bad. But I made up for it by posting other helpful things, right? My karma should cancel itself out, shouldn’t it?