Help me set up this router

I have old D-Link DI-524 wireless router I used to run on my ADSL connection. Now I have fiber optic from CHT connected via their own Zyxel VDSL modem/router. I connected DI-524 to this network network. I can connect to the internet via ethernet cable through the DI-524. Problem is, I cannot configure the router to connect via wireless. I can see my router from a wireless device, open the admin page, but not connect to the internet.

I have tried both PPPoE and dynamic IP WAN settings but nothing works. Ideas? CHT dismiss D-Link routers as junk and refuse to help outside suggesting buying one of their own wireless routers, despite the fact that I used this router on my ADSL connection for a couple of years without a glitch. :aiyo:

May be a silly thing to ask, but did you try putting in your CHT-ADSL login information into the PPPoE username/password field in your D-Link router? Afterwards make sure you try dynamic DHCP mode instead of giving it a fixed IP.

Yes, I entered all the login information in PPPoE settings, and yes, DHCP is enabled and running. All my wireless devices can see the router, connect and browse the admin interface.

Have you entered the IP address of the CHT modem into the Dlink? Uner the “WAN” setting enter the IP of the CHT modem, generally 192.168.0.1 but you should check.

There is no documentation for CHT’s CPE (modem) beyond a quick user guide showing how to plug the wires into it. No user interface, no IP address. Black box. Even Zyxel’s own site has no user manual available. :unamused:

The D-Link is on 198.168.0.1

Try using 192.168.0.1, my current (not CHT) modem uses this IP, as does my DLink router which is connected to it.

Check the gateway address on your wireless devices, perhaps.

You can connect via ethernet but not wireless? Odd. Is your laptop set to use only N-type WLAN? Or perhaps G-type transmissions but the D-Link is set to operate on B-type only? Is your laptop set to use channels from 8-11 when some older routers can only use channels 1-6? Set the channel on the router manually to 3 just to check.

If you can connect through ethernet then DHCP and PPPoE and IP addresses on the router are not the problem. Is your laptop network connection set up on your computer to accept DHCP assigned IP addresses from the D-Link? Perhaps your ethernet nw connection in Wondows is, but your wireless nw connection has been set with some incompatible manually entered IP addresses. Is it accepting DNS addresses from the router via DHCP or have they previously been set manually when you were on ADSL? Perhaps cable service uses different DNS addresses and you need to reset them manually? (DHCP should always be OK though.) The problem is likely to be in your laptop not the router unless wireless is switched off for some reason. Has it even been set into bridging mode by mistake? It should be set to “access point” mode. Without knowing this router it’s hard to guess. But I’m always up for a frenzy of random guesswork at 7am before morning coffee on a Monday. Ribbit.

[quote=“redwagon”]I have old D-Link DI-524 wireless router I used to run on my ADSL connection. Now I have fiber optic from CHT connected via their own Zyxel VDSL modem/router. I connected DI-524 to this network network. I can connect to the internet via ethernet cable through the DI-524. Problem is, I cannot configure the router to connect via wireless. I can see my router from a wireless device, open the admin page, but not connect to the internet.

I have tried both PPPoE and dynamic IP WAN settings but nothing works. Ideas? CHT dismiss D-Link routers as junk and refuse to help outside suggesting buying one of their own wireless routers, despite the fact that I used this router on my ADSL connection for a couple of years without a glitch. :aiyo:[/quote]

Try doing a factory reset. I have the same wireless router at home and it runs fine for the last several years.

If you still cannot work it out contact my on my skype blackcrusader

We use FTTB at home and office, connecting the DI 624 isn’t a problem.

Go to the 192.168.0.1 login and set up your account as you would DSL. Then the box should dial in just as before.

Of course, Hinet is right: the 524 is a piece of crap, I had one that would brown out wireless and ethernet connections within 20 minutes… I usually had to reboot the box. Eventually the aerial fell off, and I threw it out. Oh, and remember your HInet User ID is hn12345678@hinet.net… but when you enter the login id: drop the HN before the number.

Are you sure that your only connection is via the router box…? Also, is wireless enabled properly on your notebook? Sometimes those Network Connections options can be CoNfUsInG.

Kenneth

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would just ask my question here. Need to set up a router at home so I can access wireless internet with laptop.

Looking in a 3C shop I see they range in price from around NT1000 to NT3000. Any recommendations?

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Rather than start a new thread I thought I would just ask my question here. Need to set up a router at home so I can access wireless internet with laptop.

Looking in a 3C shop I see they range in price from around NT1000 to NT3000. Any recommendations?[/quote]

tomatovpn.keithmoyer.com/ firmware

I have no idea if you could find a WRT54GL in Taiwan though.

The local store (usually reliable) is recommending the Edimaxseries of products…

Are these okay?

Kenneth

I’d recommend the bigger brands, not because their hardware is specifically better, but because their support will be better. Sometimes you’ll need a firmware upgrade for your router, especially now when the 802.11n specification has been set in stone. The smaller companies might not bother issuing upgrades for their routers.
Sadly Netgear nor Belkin routers are sold in Taiwan, but they have very nice and easy to use web interfaces in their routers.
Asus seems to have improved, but I’m not sure how good their stuff is.
Buffalo isn’t bad, I just got one of their routers, but if it’s a big place, get one with three antennas, as this two antenna router doesn’t have a long range. The web interface is anything but fantastic (I have the WHR-G300N which can be had for NT$1600 in the computer market).
Otherwise D-Link should be ok, same goes for ZyXEL, DrayTek (expensive) and SMC. PCI isn’t a bad brand either, but I don’t know if they have English firmwares for all of their routers.
Edimax seems to be ok, I contacted them asking for some information before I got the new router, but they took too long to get back to me.
In all fairness, take a look at any extra features you might want (extended range, USB port for file or printer sharing, Gigabit Ethernet ports) and then go from there. The more expensive models usually come with these extras while the cheaper ones don’t.

If a router cannot run a custom linux-based firmware, it is not worth your money. I’ve logged into some very pitiful Chinese-branded routers (e.g. Edimax and Zytel) around town and peeked at their configuration menus. Really just pitiful.

Seriously, who’s going to bother running a custom linux version on their router?
Although I wish I could get my hands on the Fonera 2.0N here fon.com/en/product/fonera2nFeatures

And they’re not Chinese branded routers, they’re Taiwanese… :sunglasses:

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Seriously, who’s going to bother running a custom linux version on their router?
Although I wish I could get my hands on the Fonera 2.0N here fon.com/en/product/fonera2nFeatures[/quote]
It’s a lot easier than you’d imagine. All you need is just about any WRT54 version of Linksys router or some select Buffalo routers.

• Running Linux-based router firmwares does not make the router more complex to manage. It actually makes it easier (since most of those Edimax and Zytel router UIs seem to be designed by monkeys). The tomato firmware, which I recommend, has a very easy to understand AJAX based web interface:

• It makes your router more stable (I’ve had my router go four to five months uninterrupted uptime).

• It makes your router more secure, since you are running a proven open source foundation used in enterprise servers.

• And of course it gives you real, tangible value added features. The most important feature would be QOS traffic prioritization. You can enjoy clear voip and low-latency games while downloading massive files, or allocate a fixed amount of bandwidth to torrenting, etc.

By the way, the Fon runs software based on OpenWRT, a Linux based firmware. And you can add the Fon functionality (fonctionality?) to any Linux-based router firmware through plugin modules.

Sorry, but DLink are terriblel products (mostly OEM) so their QA is not good. I know I bought one.

Oh, Netgear and Belkin are both available in the local market, … I’ve seen Belkin products in many places. Just keep looking.

Kenneth

Custom firmware turns a 60$ linksis router into a 1000$ cisco router. You can do so much more once you have control.

In college we had a subnet for the compsci department that was granted open internet. We decided this was awesome and used WRT54 (and GL) with some other stuff laying about and made our own campus wireless that we could p2p and do other cool stuff on.

I have also melted my fair share of them seeing how much I could boost the transmit power.

I still don’t think this is what the OP was after, he just needed to know what router to get…

I haven’t seen any Netgear or Belkin routers on sale here, but I must’ve been to the wrong places then.
Be aware that if you’re using certain FTTx services, such as Extra-Lan, then you need a router that specifically states that it works with FTTx services, or you’ll get crap performance.

And yes, most router UI’s are crap, but considering that there’s very little support for 802.11n routers (which you’d really want if you either live in a larger place or want fast transfer speeds within the network), the point of going open source is somewhat moot.