Help! My brain is frozen!

I’m stuck on something that should be simple.
Bubblegum and candy is very different. or Bubblegum and candy are very different.
Trying to say…Bubblegum is very different from other kinds of candy. in the way that you would say “Boys and girls are different. Cats and dogs are different.”

You’re making a category error.
“Bubblegum is very different from other kinds of candy.” Yes. Bubblegum is one of many kinds of candy. But boys are not one of many kinds of girls, and cats are not one of many kinds of dogs: boys and girls are different kinds of kids; cats and dogs are different kinds of animals/pets.

Do you want to say, “Bubblegum is one kind of candy?”

As Jaboney said, bubblegum IS candy.

Bubblegum and other kinds of candy are very different.
Bubblegum is very different from other kinds of candy.
Other kinds of candy are very different from bubblegum.

I like Dragonbones’ answers. That’s the meaning I am looking for.
Actually I never thought that bubblegum was a kind of candy. I always think they were completely different thinks, like candy and potato chips.
Thanks for the answers!

North Americans seem to have a blanket term “candy” for sweet treats that come in wrappers. To me “bubblegum” is different to “candy” and a chocolate bar is certainly not a “candy” bar.

We don’t say “candy bar” in Canada, you generalising racist SOB.
I’m reporting you.

Bubblegum is candy you have to spit out. Might as well stick it up your arse.

I think you should lay off the slurpees.

We don’t say “candy bar” in Canada, you generalising racist SOB.[/quote]
OK, sure the Frenchies don’t, but the USA wannabies with their baseball caps and football jerseys do.

We don’t say “candy bar” in Canada, you generalising racist SOB.[/quote]
OK, sure the Frenchies don’t, but the USA wannabies with their baseball caps and football jerseys do.[/quote]

And we don’t have wallabies!

The traditional choices are spitting or swallowing.

That could lead to some very nasty snarls.
:astonished:

Might as well just blow it up into a disgusting huge bubble so it pops and smears all over your face in a sticky mess.

Whenever I try to be witty and bright, I get zero response. I ask a grammar question and it turns into a riot! I just got an angry letter from a parent accusing me of spelling bubblegum incorrectly. Aiyoooo! She even phoned the boss!

At least you know which end it belongs in.

Why how does she spell it? She sent you a PM? Your kids’ parents follow your posts on Forumosa?

Doesn’t everyone’s?

Well, one slight variation in spelling candy names and the kid’s education could be stunted for life.

Doesn’t everyone’s?[/quote]

Doesn’t everyone’s kids’ parents follow everyone’s, or follow 2navels’s?

EDIT: OOOH you mean your kids’ parents are yourself? Nonono I meant 2Ns’s xiaopengyoumen, her pupils, not her own children!! I don’t think she has any children.