HELP Need Car Mechanic Quick in Taipei/Yonghe/Zhonghe/Bancio

Hey–
I’m going on a trip to Sun Moon Lake Tues morning and really need to find a good, English speaking mechanic who can help me fix my brakes asap. I went to a shop near my house and the boss charged me nearly $6000 (oil change, brake and power steering fluid flush, and new break pump) I was in a fix, so I paid it, and can you believe that NONE OF THE PROBLEMS are fixed? (after reading this form, I bet most people can) In fact, the brakes feel even worse now then they did and it’s even sprung and oil leak! How hard is it to do a brake job and fix the powwe steering??

i could go and try to argue some more, but ultimately I don’t want to guy to touch my car again and I just want it fixed. Is there anyone who can help me find a mechanic that is not shady? English speaking is definately preferred, but if he is honest, I can use my poor Chinese to commuicate. MUCH appreciation for any assistance. I live iN Yonghe, but can go anywhere around the area to get it done.

Maoman just asked me to post this:
Cheap and honest mechanic. Go along Nanjing East Rd over the bridge and turn right on Chenggong Rd after Jiuzong Road (Neihu Costco is on Jiuzong). Stay on Chenggong rd but don’t go over the bridge and keep to the right hand lane. Take a right onto Tanmei St. and the mechanic is at Number 339. Place is called Jia He Qi Che (Best Harmony Automotive). He doesn’t speak English.

[quote=“dreamlife76”]NONE OF THE PROBLEMS are fixed? (after reading this form, I bet most people can) In fact, the brakes feel even worse now then they did and it’s even sprung and oil leak! How hard is it to do a brake job and fix the powwe steering??
[/quote]

I have done all this things myself and replaced entire brake systems. It’s not hard at all and any incompetent mecanic should be ale to fix it. I’m not a car mecanic and had no problems doing it.

[quote=“sandman”]Maoman just asked me to post this:
Cheap and honest mechanic. Go along Nanjing East Rd over the bridge and turn right on Chenggong Rd about 500 metres after passing Jiuzong Road (Neihu Costco is on Jiuzong). Stay on Chenggong Rd but don’t go over the bridge and keep to the right hand lane. Take a right onto Tanmei St. and the mechanic is at Number 339. Place is called Jia He Qi Che (Best Harmony Automotive). He doesn’t speak English.[/quote]
Thanks Sandy - Yeah, this mechanic is good. And honest. The telephone number is (02) 2794-4729.

thanks a bunch for all of your help. I will call this mechanic.

PM me and I will take you hand in hand (so to speak) to folks that will do it right at a reasonable price. I really dont mind. Try and you will see… Good repairs at a reasonable price. I have used these guys for 5 years and have NEVER been disappointed.

[quote=“dreamlife76”]Hey–
I’m going on a trip to Sun Moon Lake Tues morning and really need to find a good, English speaking mechanic who can help me fix my brakes asap. I went to a shop near my house and the boss charged me nearly $6000 (oil change, brake and power steering fluid flush, and new break pump) I was in a fix, so I paid it, and can you believe that NONE OF THE PROBLEMS are fixed? (after reading this form, I bet most people can) In fact, the brakes feel even worse now then they did and it’s even sprung and oil leak! How hard is it to do a brake job and fix the powwe steering??

i could go and try to argue some more, but ultimately I don’t want to guy to touch my car again and I just want it fixed. Is there anyone who can help me find a mechanic that is not shady? English speaking is definately preferred, but if he is honest, I can use my poor Chinese to commuicate. MUCH appreciation for any assistance. I live iN Yonghe, but can go anywhere around the area to get it done.[/quote]

1. A power steering flush will rarely fix a power steering problem. It’s really there to help prevent problems from occuring in the future. What kind of problems were you having with the power steering?

2. For a brake inspection, ABS Brake Pump, Oil Change, Power Steering Flush, and Brake Flush, $6,000 does not seem horribly unreasonable. Especially depending on the cost of the actual part of the brake pump. The problem is…it did not solve the problem. What problems were you having with the brakes that they decided to change the pump?

3. Oil leak…sucks. Are you sure it’s their fault though? The oil change does not involve disassembling your engine and replacing all the gaskets. If the drain plug and oil filter are not leaking, it is likely not their fault. Unless, of course, they overfilled your engine or left the oil cap off and oil is spraying everywhere…something similar like that. Even if it is leaking from the oil filter, I can’t tell you how many bad oil filters I have run into in my years of working on cars.

I’m NOT defending your mechanic. Don’t know anything about the problem. I am just saying the mechanic often gets unfairly blamed by those that don’t know differently. Then again, there are crappy mechanics too.

One of my favorite stories is when a guy came in complaining to our boss that he wanted to charge hundreds of dollars to fix his air conditioning. He just wanted it re-charged, but we refused - explaining it would leak out within a few days. He was there saying his “mechanic friend” did it for him that morning and it was fixed. He said his friend told him we “must have used the wrong kind of leak detector…the one that checks for R-12 refrigerant rather than 134-A.” There aren’t different testers, but why would it detect an R12 leak in a 134A system? Anyway, his friend “fixed” the problem and he was sure to let us know about it…as well as how horrible we were. I saw him the next week. He was still driving the car. 90-something degree weather. Thank goodness his windows could be rolled down. That’s all he had for A/C.

Matt

I am fairly free these days and as a fully qualified technician, I wouldn’t mind taking a look at anyone’s car to try and figure out any problems. I don’t have many tools however and so my skills may only be worthy as a nod in the right direction or as peace of mind after being charged lots of money for things which may not seem worthy of the money. Anyway if I can be of help then please don’t hesitate to ask.