Help! Need Games for older students

Many thanks to BuLaiEn for starting a thread on Games (Click here)

I could use some games/activites for older students. I have a private class made up of 6 graduate students (who actually speak English pretty confidently – what do they need me for?!?!

Please post here

Oops! I should have checked Dave’s Cafe before posting (duh!)

jfyi, here’s one I found there that seems to fit the bill: Who Killed The Foreign Teacher?

If anyone has tried this before, plmk how it went

This is a serious reply.

Have you ever played Battleship with students learning English? I did a few times and they found it quite interesting.

I wrote up a summary of how to play it in a classroom situation, and it was printed in a book, so if you need a copy, let me know your snailmail address.

P.S. If other people also want to see this, can Gus post it as an Adobe Acrobat file somewhere on ORIENTED?

I’ll post it here on Segue instead :slight_smile: – but not in Acrobat format

Game Grid

[code]SHIP: Aircraft Carrier
CODE: A
BLOX: 4
PTS: 4

SHIP: Destroyer
CODE: D
BLOX: 3
PTS: 3

SHIP: Cruiser
CODE: C
BLOX: 2
PTS: 2

SHIP: Patrol Boat
CODE: P
BLOX: 1
PTS: 1

SHIP: Submarine
CODE: S
BLOX: 2
PTS: 2[/code]
Draw a copy of the game board, and place 5 ships on it. Keep this grid out of view of your students.

Students separate into two teams. Alternating teams, students answer the teacher’s questions.

For a corrrect answer, the student make take a guess of any location on the board by choosing coordinates (like “G5” or “C6”)

The teacher replies, “You missed!” or “You hit my __________!!”

Points are schored according to the accompanying table. The team with the highest point total when the entire fleet has been sunk is the winner.

Sample Game Grid

I was going to start another thread for this, but I wouldn’t want it to turn into the other jokes thread :frowning: , I mean :laughing: . I’m really new to all this and I’m sure this has been mentioned before. But…

I have a small group of college aged adults that I teach once a week. Since I’m new to the game of teaching (and since they’re english is already pretty good) I found that telling them jokes eats up a lot of time and is pretty fun.

I’ve only told them a few jokes because most of the ones I know aren’t very “clean”, a little complicated to tell or our cultural difference of what we think is funny doesn’t work.

One of the jokes I told them was “Why did the chicken cross the road?”. No one thought that was funny, but I did (for the first time ever). I couldn’t believe they didn’t know that one.

Another one was “What’s white and black white and black white and black and red?” Answer: Penguin falling/rolling down the stairs.

Using this probably depends on who you’re teaching, but it’s something else to add in the bag.

My husband used to play Monopoly and Scrabble with his teenaged students… they spoke pretty well, but their parents just wanted them to have a chance to converse in English. They liked both games, but they LOVED Monopoly. I guess that isn’t surprising considering how enterprising Chinese people are.

J.

I’ve already gotten pretty good value out of my RISK boardgame. Adults love it. More so than Monopoly. Problem is, these games run for over 2 hours. :smiling_imp:$$$$$8)

I wonder how the Rich Dad/Poor Dad game would be received here…

J.

Scrabble(s)? make them put words together. Intimidate them…