Help needed: extend visa and get married?

Dear Forum,

Right now I am in Taiwan on a visitor visa studying Chinese at a approved language institute. I already did 2 visa extensions and I am aware about the rule to change my visa into a resident visa next month to continue mt stay here legally.

Right now I am in the progress to marry my taiwanese girlfriend. Is there any way maybe to get a further (exceptional) 3rd extension ??
Do I have to change my Visa in March paying 3.000 NT$ for the visa change and 1.000 NT$ for the ARC ??
Do I need to pay again for change my visa into a JFRVisa and another ARC ??

How long the ARC is valid based on a JFRV ??
What about an open work permit after I get my JFRV ?? Any new informations ??
It would be essential important for me, as I am (think you can guess) a german citizien and I seek permant legally work
here in Taiwan …

I don’t care the extramoney, I just wanna know if there would be a smart way to avoid paying the fee twice …

Moti

[quote=“MoTi”]Dear Forum,

Right now I am in Taiwan on a visitor visa studying chinese at a approved language institute. I already did 2 visa extensions and I am aware about the rule to change my visa into a resident visa next month to continue mt stay here legally.

Right now I am in the progress to marry my Taiwanese girlfriend. Is there any way maybe to get a further (exceptional) 3rd extension ??
Do I have to change my Visa in March paying 3.000 NT$ for the visa change and 1.000 NT$ for the ARC ??
Do I need to pay again for change my visa into a JFRVisa and another ARC ??

How long the ARC is valid based on a JFRV ??
What about an open work permit after I get my JFRV ?? Any new informations ??
It would be essential important for me, as I am (think you can guess) a german citizien and I seek permant legally work
here in Taiwan …

I don’t care the extramoney, I just wanna know if there would be a smart way to avoid paying the fee twice …

Moti[/quote]

You get 180 days for a visitor visa for studying. This usually entails 2 extensions. How much time do you have left on your Visa before the final expiration? You will also have to do a visa run to change your visa from student to joining family. A 3rd extension to buy time wont happen. Sorry to say.

Don’t forget all the paperwork and money for getting your resident visa and ARC after you married … but you probably know that already

It is extremely unlikely that you will be able to get another extension.

[quote]Do I have to change my Visa in March paying 3.000 NT$ for the visa change and 1.000 NT$ for the ARC ??
Do I need to pay again for change my visa into a JFRVisa and another ARC ??[/quote]

If you do them separately then yes you will need to pay each time for the visa and the ARC.

Your initial ARC will be valid for one year. Subsequent renewals can be done for three years at a time. Renewing is straightforward and doesn’t require leaving.

You do not need any work permit if you have an ARC based on marriage to a citizen who has household registration.

[quote=“MoTi”]
here in Taiwan …[/quote]
We both are quite in the same situation MoTi. I’m also German and ups…going to get married tomorrow. :laughing:

The difference is that I’m already on a student based Resident Visa in Taiwan for two and a half years, but of course I want to change to a JFRV as soon as possible after the marriage.

However, please be aware that you also need some documents for the application which might take some time. The most complicated are the Criminal Record Certificate and the confirmation that your marriage is registered in Germany (…yes, they know that there is a registration system in Germany).

I guess that you have to change visa until end of february, right?

Well, because of Chinese New Year in between I’m already quite sure that even when marrying tomorrow it’s somehow impossible for me to get everything done until end of February. I will go and discuss that with Boca next week. You can contact me so we also could exchange information in German.

For me there’s just one question left. Does anyone can show me the rule which says that there is a visa run required when you want to change from Resident Visa (Student) to Resident Visa (Family)? I cannot find anything explaining this in detail.

Point 5. of the Attention section on the related page is not really clear to me. I reentered Taiwan last summer with my Resident Visa and where does it say that Resident Visas are not exchangeable?

boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=186 … e=113&mp=2

I’ve looked before and never found a clear answer. Even those on work ARCs sometimes report having to do a visa run to to change to a JFRV ARC while most report that those can be exchanged without leaving. However there is nothing in the immigration law itself which says that some resident visas cannot be exchanged locally.

[quote=“De-Sheng”]Point 5. of the Attention section on the related page is not really clear to me. I reentered Taiwan last summer with my Resident Visa and where does it say that Resident Visas are not exchangeable?

boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=186 … e=113&mp=2[/quote]

That is saying that once your enter on a resident visa or get one issued locally, you then have 15 days to apply for an ARC. It has nothing to do with whether getting a resident visa locally is possible in your case.

That’s what I want to ask Boca on Tuesday. Although I’m quite aware that it might not bring anything once they have made their point…but at least I can practice how to discuss in Chinese once more. :raspberry:

For the other thing, yes you are right. I was reading too much in hoping to get some information about my situation that I simply misunderstood what they were writing.