Help needed with Visa to study Chinese

Hi Guys,

Hoping you can help, I will be arriving in Taiwan in February to study Chinese at NTNU MTC, I am a little confused with the Visa situation, I am a UK national and plan to study there for 1 year, however the way the terms work is you can only apply for 3 months at a time and then extend, British Nationals can extend the 90 day visa free visit to 180 days and after 4 months of studying in Taiwan I can apply for an ar, my question is how do I manage this as you need an exit plane ticket ready to leave Taiwan, has any other Brits had this issue?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread

Many thanks

Hi Chup, another Brit here. I came to study my Master’s Degree, so my situation was slightly different. In order to convert to a Resident Visa (the one with an ARC) you first need a Visitor’s Visa (unless you are getting a Resident Visa from an employer for a job). So I first had to go to the Taipei Representative office and apply for my Visitor Visa, then convert it after 90 days in Taiwan.

With regards to the plain ticket issue. I booked a plane ticket to Hong Kong, then just rebooked the date at a later time till I went home to visit before returning for my second year (reentering then I didn’t have a problem because I had my ARC).

Hope this helps. Also, other members of the forum may have more knowledge about the Visa-Free Entry to Residency Visa than I do.