Help on buying motorcycle

Hey everyone!

I am studying chinese in Taichung and will continue studying medicine after i learned chinese so i am planning on staying here for some years… and…of course i guess it would be usefull to have a scooter or motorcycle…

[color=#004080]So far i am at the point of deciding between a scooter and a traditional motorcycle, but i strongly incline towards the motorcycle because of these facts:[/color]

• I live in Taichung and would like to use it to travel to the nearby mountains from time to time because i love hiking and I am afraid a scooter won`t get me there or will not be as durable as a motorcycle

• Somebody told me motorcycles have gear shift / manual kickstart or whatever that is called (im not a native speaker of english, sorry), and hence it consumes less fuel then a normal scooter?

• Supposed to be more durable and stable and more comfortable for long rides?

• Better for 2 people? since i will be moving around a lot with my girlfriend on the back or the other way around

• Manual gear shift and motorcycle motor easier to repair in case of any problem?

So unless anybody can really persuade me that my concept is completely wrong I pretty much would stick with a motorcycle and not a scooter which fits into the following concept:

[color=#408000]I am looking for a second hand machine that is neither too crappy nor too overpriced in the 125-250cc range if that is enough for longer trips around taiwan also (I dont mind if it goes slow, as long as it goes up some hills)…[/color]

What would you guys recommend?

----> I have heard of the old [color=#408000]SYM Wolf[/color] around, then there are the ever-present [color=#408000]hartford bikes[/color] and once I rode an [color=#408000]old honda[/color] in peru for a short time that was pretty reliable and honda as I heard has a good reputation of reliability so i guess if not told better i would get one of those 3 options, tho i don`t know which would be more durable/convenient/easy to maintan?

----> How much can i expect to pay so i won`t get ripped off right away?

----> what details should i be aware of when purchasing in order to avoid buying a broken or bad quality machine?

Thank you all for your help (hopefully)

greetings, Ben

Hi
I am in Taiwan since more than one and a half years.As far I know, 150cc segment motorbikes are pretty common here. If you wish to go for the good looking ones with engine power then I would recommend U SYM T1 or Kymco Clon. The brand new motorbikes cost little more than 90K NTD and 110K NTD respectively. So better go for the second hand which you can get for 60K to 70K for a year old bike. I owned T1 for few months but had some minor defects so I sold it. Right now I’m using Kymco Clon and I feel its worth the price. But if U wish to opt for fuel efficient motorbikes then Sym Wolf 150 and KTR 150 are better choices. Well there is a group in fb for second motorbike sales. U can join the group and opt for the ones U like.
facebook.com/groups/salemoto/

Best wishes
-Prem

Hello.
Here is professional suggestion.
If you are not professional in motorbikes, then under no any circumstances buy a second-hand bike in Taiwan.
99.99% of all shops in Taiwan are cheaters.
The chance that you discover all tricks if you are not familiar with the motorbike you would like to buy are equal to zero.
Here is funny paradox. If you are truly familiar with the NEW (!!) bike and are professional in motorbikes (i don’t mean here riding, but service and technical engineering), then you can buy second hand, since then you know how the bike supposes to lookalike. However, if you have got a new bike, then why you need to buy second-hand one? lol
In Taiwan is entire cheating industry related to motorbikes and without deep experience you will be cheated for all 100%.
Actually either with a new bike you could be cheat and most-likely will be, however percentage of cheating is slightly (!!!) lower, than by second-hand bikes.
Most are sold Ghost bikes, crashed bikes or bikes with engine problems, and i don’t even mention that all of them are just overpriced.
By Second-hand bikes:

1. If bike lookalike good and new - it is most-likely cheating already (It is re-colorized and most-likely after serious crash).
  2. if amount of km the motorbike was running is under 10000 km - then most-likely is cheating.
    (Don’t listen if some people tell that digital computers etc. can not be manipulated - they can and will be)
    If someone would sell bike from the same year you are buying it (2013 current year), then it is again cheating, because nobody would sale a good bike. (Exceptions you will not face, so don’t even think of those)
  3. If someone tells you that the bike is from first hands - this Taiwanese can fake either…
    Actually there are thousands of lies and tricks here in Taiwan, so if you are not professional in Motorbikes, then hands away and keep distance from those.
    Best solution is in this case to buy a new bike.
    Buy from big shops only, huge, large etc. And best introduced by someone you know and trust… (However, by being since 2001 in Taiwan, i never saw even 1 trustable Motorbike store)
    So be VERY careful and do not trust anything the sales tells you.
    They never speak truth.

What not to buy:
Do NOT buy any motorbikes produced before 2011.
Do NOT buy Yamaha 125cc racing type (You will have problems to maintain and those are too old)
Do NOT buy Hardford and Honda 125cc (Racing type)
YZR etc. - Avoid to buy

What can buy for really great riding experience for two people.
Yamaha Majestic 125c.c and higher. (But !! Be very aware if you take those second hand)
By the way… if you take Majestic, then do NOT even waste your time to care about its body.
The new body cost around 2000-3000 Taiwan Dollars (all parts , except rubber for feet and the frontal glass - those are not more produced).
(Do not expect those to be original, but that is not even necessary, nor important)
You will be amazed how convenient to ride the Yamaha Majestic 125 for us, foreigners.
We can truly stretch legs :slight_smile: and enjoy the riding :slight_smile: (Pretty comfortable for people with long legs :slight_smile: )

If your budged about 40000-50000 TWD , then take something similar to Yamaha Majestic 125 c.c.
For this money to take any YZR, SYM T1 or Kymco 150 Racing type - impossible. (Sure you can find, but it is all cheating)
Any acceptable (beginner) racing type motorbike starts with around 80000 TWD and higher and please do NOT forget that you would need to spend a lot on Engine oil, Tires , etc.

Do not listen anyone who tells you that Engine Oil 200TWD, 250 TWD etc is ok . IT IS NOT !!
Proper Engine Oil, both for SYM T1 or Yamaha Majestic 125c.c cost 500+ TWD
I am using 650 TWD oil. The price is combined by 500 TWD for oil and 150 TWD for special addition into oil. (650TWD Total for 800 km - slightly depending how frequent you need to change oil)
However you can buy ready solution , all in one, which costs anyway 650 TWD in total.
Myself i take separated, because i am using racing oil to let my engine work good when need to overdrive it (in Taiwan need, especially when escape the dangerous situations created by Taiwanese mad driving “skills”)

All motorcycles best to tank with Gasoline 95 (or if bike can, then 98)
Do not either listen to bike stores when they tell that for example Yamaha Majestic have to tank with nr. 92 only (This is typical nonsense said in Taiwan).
Majestic can be tanked with 95.
SYM T1 can be tanked with 95 and 98.
Some of insane guys in stores say that 98 would overheat engine, which is either total nonsense.

By the way…
If you want save money for traffic, then best to get Majestic 125 and not SYM T1, because according to my personal experience,
driving majestic is cheaper than BUS and MRT in Taiwan.

[color=#FF0000]For any questions i am open.[/color]

Riding experience.

SYM T1 - more for one person.
Actually both sitting places are hard and not very convenient for long trips.
Girls on the back side of the T1 will complain, because it is really hard and not good to sit long.

Kymco 150 Racing Type - more for one person.
Same with SYM T1.
Additionally can add that Kymco is not convenient to drive, because of the design.
You can not lay on it like you would do that on large bike (such like Ducatti 800 etc.),
so basically you would need to press with legs the Gas-Tank and hang your body between.

Yamaha Majestic 125cc (or identical to this type)
Amazing riding experience for one or two people.
Can ride really VERY long. Hours and hours.
None of body parts get tired.
Can actually not compare to T1 or Kymco, because the convenience of
Yamaha Majestic is just amazing.
Girls accept the riding easier, does not complain normally,
either while long trips.

Yamaha YZR 125
Equal to the Kymco 150 Racing Type.
(Strict for one person)
Second person will suffer at the back sit.

Engine Tunning, Racing etc.

Take SYM T2 (T1 can too) or Kymco 150 racing type.
This two bikes are both suitable for engine tunning (warning! not legal in Taiwan, but can be found just EVERYWHERE ! - Beware cheaters! Ask me if need true hints for such service)
Computer replacement (for racing purposes) - no problem for this models.
Either fancy stuff, such like colorful chains, special tire and many more is not a problem for this bikes.

I have both a scooter and a motorbike (both 125 cc - Yamaha scooter and SYM Wolf). Here are some answers (I’m guessing you’re talking about small motorbikes, if you’re considering getting a big cc then these answers might not apply):

Scooters will get you to the mountains! If you get a decent scooter, there is no reason for it to be less durable. Also, scooters have less exposed metal bits likely to rust in Taiwan’s humid weather.

I don’t think so. I’ve taken both bikes up to the hills, and on longish rides (4-5 hours). I’d actually say I find the scooter more comfortable, but maybe that’s just because I’m more used to riding it?

Nope! Way easier and comfortable to have 2 people on a scooter in my opinion. Also MUCH more comfortable for the passenger to be on the back of a scooter.

Doubt that makes much a difference. Repair shops here fix hundred of bikes and scooters every week, they could do it blindfolded and the parts are really cheap.

In my opinion, the advantages of a motorbike are 1. manual gear shift makes it A LOT more fun to ride! and 2. looks much cooler (yeah, I’m partial to that). For everything else, honestly, a scooter is much more convenient.

Seraphim’s post makes some good points, though I find it a bit exaggerated (maybe you’ve recently had a bad experience Seraphim?). There are indeed a lot of bike shops that will try to rip you off, whether for buying a bike or repairs, but there are also some honest guys out there. The problem is finding them!
Honestly, I would not have even thought about buying a new bike here. Both my bikes are second hand: my 1999 scooter, which I bought it from a bike shop, never had a single problem in the 2+ years I’ve had it.

My Wolf, on the other hand, turned out to be in quite a bad state - I bought it from a friendly foreigner leaving the island, and it turns out he’d been getting ripped off by his mechanic every time he went in for an oil change or other maintenance repairs: he would leave the bike there a come back the next day. During that time, the arsehole repair guy would take some parts from the bike (carburettor, electrical system…) and replace them with shitty old ones, then sell the one’s he’d taken off to the next customer. This apparently is relatively common, according to my bike guy (who is awesome and in whom I have complete trust).

My recommendations to you would be to find a Taiwanese person you trust and who knows a minimum about bikes. Or even better, if one of your friends here is on good terms with his bike guy and trusts him, you could ask if the bike guy would agree to take a look at a buy you consider buying/accompany you to pick a bike. Buy him dinner or drinks or something to thank him. Then always go to him for repairs & maintenance.
After you get a bike, NEVER leave it at a bike shop you don’t know without supervision! Just stay there and watch them fix it. Unless there is some big damage, it shouldn’t take too long to fix.

Good luck!

[quote=“coorgchandu”]Hi
I am in Taiwan since more than one and a half years.As far I know, 150cc segment motorbikes are pretty common here. If you wish to go for the good looking ones with engine power then I would recommend U SYM T1 or Kymco Clon. [/quote]

Never heard of a “Kymco Clon”, though I havn’t been keeping up with the cascade of new model motorcycles being released by Kymco.

IF you mean Kymco “clone” (i.e. a copy) then its true that some Kymco (Zing, Grand King) machines have copies of the Honda CG125 (pushrod) engine, as do Hartfords, but the machines themselves are rather less clones than the SYM Wolf (and its faked-up derivative, the T1) is of the Honda CB125.

Since the CG 125 was developed by Honda as a tougher version of the CB125, for Third World conditions, these machines might be a bit more durable, but in practice the Wolfs seem to be pretty tough too.

Any of the popular models could be OK, though if you insist on a recent FI model there aren’t many to chose from, especially If you eliminate the mutton-dressed-as-whippet “racers” like the Quannon and T1. Kymco KTR is a popular choice.

Scooters are more convenient and probably a bit safer, motorcycles are more fuel-efficient and give a softer ride due to bigger wheels and longer suspension travel.

Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.

[quote=“Ducked”][quote=“coorgchandu”]Hi
I am in Taiwan since more than one and a half years.As far I know, 150cc segment motorbikes are pretty common here. If you wish to go for the good looking ones with engine power then I would recommend U SYM T1 or Kymco Clon. [/quote]

Never heard of a “Kymco Clon”, though I havn’t been keeping up with the cascade of new model motorcycles being released by Kymco.

IF you mean Kymco “clone” (i.e. a copy) then its true that some Kymco (Zing, Grand King) machines have copies of the Honda CG125 (pushrod) engine, as do Hartfords, but the machines themselves are rather less clones than the SYM Wolf (and its faked-up derivative, the T1) is of the Honda CB125.

Since the CG 125 was developed by Honda as a tougher version of the CB125, for Third World conditions, these machines might be a bit more durable, but in practice the Wolfs seem to be pretty tough too.

Any of the popular models could be OK, though if you insist on a recent FI model there aren’t many to chose from, especially If you eliminate the mutton-dressed-as-whippet “racers” like the Quannon and T1. Kymco KTR is a popular choice.

Scooters are more convenient and probably a bit safer, motorcycles are more fuel-efficient and give a softer ride due to bigger wheels and longer suspension travel.

Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.[/quote]

Kymco Clon is the Quannon lol…

I always found amusing people buying the old wolf, with the same engine, but more crap wrapping it (T1). I also like how the traditional wolf looks like. the T1 is pretencious crap if compared.

I wouldn’t listen to advice from someone who’s been here for 11 years and isn’t aware enough of lowest common denominator motorcycles enough to type Quannon correctly. “Racing Type”? Really?

The content of that post is 6 paragraphs of calling mechanics “crooks” without any helpful advice. Sure some scooter shops will do the things said, but if you’ve been here 11 years and haven’t found a trustworthy scooter shop (or been able to make friends with any local who works on motorcycles) the problem is with you not with the universe.

Perhaps try learning chinese?

[quote=“seraphim”]Hello.
If you are not professional in motorbikes, then under no any circumstances buy a second-hand bike in Taiwan.
The chance that you discover all tricks if you are not familiar with the motorbike you would like to buy are equal to zero.
Here is funny paradox. If you are truly familiar with the NEW (!!) bike and are professional in motorbikes (I don’t mean here riding, but service and technical engineering), then you can buy second hand, since then you know how the bike supposes to lookalike. However, if you have got a new bike, then why you need to buy second-hand one? lol
In Taiwan is entire cheating industry related to motorbikes and without deep experience you will be cheated for all 100%.
Actually either with a new bike you could be cheat and most-likely will be, however percentage of cheating is slightly (!!!) lower, than by second-hand bikes.
Most are sold Ghost bikes, crashed bikes or bikes with engine problems, and I don’t even mention that all of them are just overpriced.
By Second-hand bikes:

1. If bike lookalike good and new - it is most-likely cheating already (It is re-colorized and most-likely after serious crash).
  2. if amount of km the motorbike was running is under 10000 km - then most-likely is cheating.
    (Don’t listen if some people tell that digital computers etc. can not be manipulated - they can and will be)
    If someone would sell bike from the same year you are buying it (2013 current year), then it is again cheating, because nobody would sale a good bike. (Exceptions you will not face, so don’t even think of those)
  3. If someone tells you that the bike is from first hands - this Taiwanese can fake either…
    Actually there are thousands of lies and tricks here in Taiwan, so if you are not professional in Motorbikes, then hands away and keep distance from those.
    Buy from big shops only, huge, large etc. And best introduced by someone you know and trust… (However, by being since 2001 in Taiwan, i never saw even 1 trustable Motorbike store)
    They never speak truth.

What not to buy:
Do NOT buy Yamaha 125cc racing type (You will have problems to maintain and those are too old)
YZR etc. - Avoid to buy

Yamaha Majestic 125c.c and higher. (But !! Be very aware if you take those second hand)
By the way… if you take Majestic, then do NOT even waste your time to care about its body.
The new body cost around 2000-3000 Taiwan Dollars (all parts , except rubber for feet and the frontal glass - those are not more produced).
(Do not expect those to be original, but that is not even necessary, nor important)
You will be amazed how convenient to ride the Yamaha Majestic 125 for us, foreigners.
We can truly stretch legs :slight_smile: and enjoy the riding :slight_smile: (Pretty comfortable for people with long legs :slight_smile: )

If your budged about 40000-50000 TWD , then take something similar to Yamaha Majestic 125 c.c.
For this money to take any YZR, SYM T1 or Kymco 150 Racing type - impossible. (Sure you can find, but it is all cheating)
Any acceptable (beginner) racing type motorbike starts with around 80000 TWD and higher and please do NOT forget that you would need to spend a lot on Engine oil, Tires , etc.

Do not listen anyone who tells you that Engine Oil 200TWD, 250 TWD etc is ok . IT IS NOT !!
I am using 650 TWD oil. The price is combined by 500 TWD for oil and 150 TWD for special addition into oil. (650TWD Total for 800 km - slightly depending how frequent you need to change oil)
However you can buy ready solution , all in one, which costs anyway 650 TWD in total.
Myself i take separated, because I am using racing oil to let my engine work good when need to overdrive it (in Taiwan need, especially when escape the dangerous situations created by Taiwanese mad driving “skills”)

Do not either listen to bike stores when they tell that for example Yamaha Majestic have to tank with nr. 92 only (This is typical nonsense said in Taiwan).
Some of insane guys in stores say that 98 would overheat engine, which is either total nonsense.

By the way…
If you want save money for traffic, then best to get Majestic 125 and not SYM T1, because according to my personal experience,

[color=#FF0000]For any questions I am open.[/color]

Riding experience.

Girls on the back side of the T1 will complain, because it is really hard and not good to sit long.

Same with SYM T1.
Additionally can add that Kymco is not convenient to drive, because of the design.
You can not lay on it like you would do that on large bike (such like Ducatti 800 etc.),
so basically you would need to press with legs the Gas-Tank and hang your body between.

either while long trips.

Yamaha YZR 125
(Strict for one person)

This two bikes are both suitable for engine tunning (warning! not legal in Taiwan, but can be found just EVERYWHERE ! - Beware cheaters! Ask me if need true hints for such service)
Either fancy stuff, such like colorful chains, special tire and many more is not a problem for this bikes.[/quote]

Hey OP, this is just 100 percent not true. I have been here almost 10 years and have pretty much owned every single motorcycle Taiwanese has to offer. I am also involved in the Taiwanese motorcycle racing scene here. I know a lot about the bike scene and the bikes themselves. If you really want to buy a motorcycle then I would recommend a used Kymco KTR. Same engine as the Kymco Quannon, but lighter so more they move a little quicker. Also, they don’t have farrings so if you have a small accident not too much will break on them. Parts are everywhere for these bikes too and cheap. They are easy to ride and I would say has a comfortable riding positioning. They were voted best 150cc bike in Taiwan a few years back and because they are so popular they are cheap. You can find used ones in great condition starting at 35k. The seat is big enough to carry a passenger too. The only thing I hate about them are that they use the weird Taiwanese style gears. I forget what it is called, but the gears are circular, not International style which is 1st gear down, and the rest of the gears are up.

My Chinese is decent so that helps, but even when I couldn’t speak much I never got ripped off from mechanics. I wouldn’t worry too much about getting ripped off. It might happen, but not too often. So anyway the KTR is my vote for you. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

[quote=“rk1951”]
If you really want to buy a motorcycle then I would recommend a used Kymco KTR. [/quote]
Wise words indeed. It’s a very good choice overall. Not the one I’d go for, not for me, but one of the best options.

[quote=“rk1951”][quote=“seraphim”]Hello.
Here is funny paradox. If you are truly familiar with the NEW (!!) bike and are professional in motorbikes (I don’t mean here riding, but service and technical engineering), then you can buy second hand, since then you know how the bike supposes to lookalike. However, if you have got a new bike, then why you need to buy second-hand one? lol
Most are sold Ghost bikes, crashed bikes or bikes with engine problems, and I don’t even mention that all of them are just overpriced.
By Second-hand bikes:

They never speak truth.

What not to buy:
YZR etc. - Avoid to buy

Myself i take separated, because I am using racing oil to let my engine work good when need to overdrive it (in Taiwan need, especially when escape the dangerous situations created by Taiwanese mad driving “skills”)

By the way…

[color=#FF0000]For any questions I am open.[/color]

Riding experience.

Same with SYM T1.

either while long trips.

Yamaha YZR 125
(Strict for one person)

Either fancy stuff, such like colorful chains, special tire and many more is not a problem for this bikes.[/quote]

Hey OP, this is just 100 percent not true. I have been here almost 10 years and have pretty much owned every single motorcycle Taiwanese has to offer. I am also involved in the Taiwanese motorcycle racing scene here. I know a lot about the bike scene and the bikes themselves. If you really want to buy a motorcycle then I would recommend a used Kymco KTR. Same engine as the Kymco Quannon, but lighter so more they move a little quicker. Also, they don’t have farrings so if you have a small accident not too much will break on them. Parts are everywhere for these bikes too and cheap. They are easy to ride and I would say has a comfortable riding positioning. They were voted best 150cc bike in Taiwan a few years back and because they are so popular they are cheap. You can find used ones in great condition starting at 35k. The seat is big enough to carry a passenger too. The only thing I hate about them are that they use the weird Taiwanese style gears. I forget what it is called, but the gears are circular, not International style which is 1st gear down, and the rest of the gears are up.

My Chinese is decent so that helps, but even when I couldn’t speak much I never got ripped off from mechanics. I wouldn’t worry too much about getting ripped off. It might happen, but not too often. So anyway the KTR is my vote for you. I don’t think you will be disappointed.[/quote]

Agree with that. I bought a good bike (CBR954) and found the seller reliable. Also some good bike repairers who are very cheap. NOT all bike dealers are bad from our experiences…but you have to know what you are buying.The only idiots are the people who put together the insane bike testing rules. They are the only idiots I am aware of.