Help please for a lonely guy

For the original poster:

It’s not that difficult…start a conversation and then ask her out for tea/coffee. And please avoid all the unpleasant stereotypes that we are sometimes confronted with from Asian males (like everyone acts the way they do in Hollywood movies). Just be yourself and get to know her. If she isn’t the one for you, she probably has some other foreign girlfriends who just might be.

In other words, it’s like dating a Taiwanese girl, but maybe with less shopping. :smiley:

well, if you were educated oversea, then you should have seen enough yourself. Do it the same way here as if you were doing it in the States (with the exception that you might have some advantage as people who came to here has an obvious curiousity toward the culture already).

How old are you by the way (you said you were young)? I haven’t been back to Taiwan myself for years, but I don’t think I see a lot young foreign woman running around in Taiwan (but I wouldn’t know anyway, and when I say young, I meant something like the age of fresh out of college).

:laughing: :bravo: :laughing: :bravo:

[quote=“ironlady”]For the original poster:

In other words, it’s like dating a Taiwanese girl, but maybe with less shopping. :smiley:[/quote]

there is more than subtle difference when date an asian/non-asian in general. The difference is made because of the culture, and thus people are unware of it. It will not be like dating a Taiwanese girl, at least not a typical one for sure. I am not asking you to do anything differently, but just be yourself and do observe.

i agree that i havent seen a lot of young foreign women around in taiwan either, although in tienmou where i live i do see a number of them…but mostly are high school kids. Based on my observation of the postings here, it appears to me that are a number of them working in taipei…

thanx for the help, and btw i didnt do my education in the states… :smiley: .so thats why i am quite curious and interested in the American cultures etc like in person and not these pop cultures you see on tv or movies…and most of the ppl here are from the states i assume

Grrr! Never assume that.

Western girls are mostly fun, and bear in mind that the ones who have come here without a boyfriend are probably more independent and adventurous than the majority of people.

Do you have any interesting hobbies? There was a girl here a while back complaining that she couldn’t find a ‘cool’ guy. Being a musician, surfer, tiger trainer, or something will help you a lot more than having a good job at a trading company that requires 12hrs of your time every day.

Do you know lots of interesting things? I generally find that women are drawn towards guys who are well-informed. At the very least, you should be very familiar with your own country, city, and history so that you can play tour guide.

And you read the thread about humour? Make 'em smile and you’re halfway there. Beware, some foreigners have really strange ideas about what is funny.

And remember that she’s probably not planning to stay here for ever. And she’s probably not intent on taking you with her when she leaves. This doesn’t mean that she won’t want to be the centre of your universe for now though. Keep her waiting and you’re dead meat.

[quote=“Loretta”][ Beware, some foreigners have really strange ideas about what is funny.
[/quote]

I think it’s really funny to eat chocolate and use my tongue to smear it all over my teeth. Then I smile at my students and tell them I like to eat beetle nut. :slight_smile:

thanx for the help, and btw I didn’t do my education in the states… :smiley: .so thats why I am quite curious and interested in the American cultures etc like in person and not these pop cultures you see on tv or movies…and most of the ppl here are from the states i assume[/quote]

There are too many difference to say. I can’t really sum it up easily. This is not something that can be taught in my opinion anyway. Go out and try, experience tells you everything. Don’t be afraid to take the first step, just don’t come across as too awkward (or unless you look that good, then you don’t have to do anything), if you’re lucky, you got one in first shot, if not, hey move on, plenty more to go.

By the way, so since you didn’t do it in the States, where did you go? Singapore or Hong Kong(a place to learn English where still being completely Asian)?

And whatever you do, don’t ask desperate or tell them that you’re lonely. That’ll only scare them away!

I don’t see why not. It’s as good a place as any for pursuing his eminently reasonable quest. Surely there are eligible ladies here who might be inclined to respond with at least a PM or two, non?[/quote]

Well, I was only trying to head off some nasty and or mean replies that may result from the OP.

If a caucasion guy came in posting “I’ve always had a thing for Chinese girls. How can I meet one?” What would the result be? :slight_smile:

Just trying to help the guy out. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Jdsmith you may wanna check out this thread
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=25718

Surely you must be saying all of the above in jest…

By the way where is Erhu? Sounds like this guy is right up her alley!!! :flowers: :lovestruck:

[quote=“Namahottie”]Jdsmith you may wanna check out this thread

Surely you must be saying all of the above in jest…[/quote]
Of course, because none of us guys got any nasty comments in that thread.

At the risk of stating the obvious and sounding corny, but it’s important that you realize how shallow it is that you’re looking for someone based on her skin color. I understand it’s just curiousity - you wonder what they are like. I used to fancy about black men too because I’d heard soooo much about their “talent”. :laughing: But I know better now. I’ve learn to look pass looks, race, and money etc. all these exterior factors. I’m sure it’s just a phase you’re going through. Sooner or later, you’ll get over it.

But any black men here? Feel free to PM me. :blush:

[quote=“Dave’s girl”]At the risk of stating the obvious and sounding corny, but it’s important that you realize how shallow it is that you’re looking for someone based on her skin color. I understand it’s just curiousity - you wonder what they are like. I used to fancy about black men too because I’d heard soooo much about their “talent”. :laughing: But I know better now. I’ve learn to look pass looks, race, and money etc. all these exterior factors. I’m sure it’s just a phase you’re going through. Sooner or later, you’ll get over it.

But any black men here? Feel free to PM me. :blush:[/quote]

Good point dave’s girl, but he’s being honest, and probably feels ‘safer’ with white woman.

I don’t see why not. It’s as good a place as any for pursuing his eminently reasonable quest. Surely there are eligible ladies here who might be inclined to respond with at least a PM or two, non?[/quote]

Well, I was only trying to head off some nasty and or mean replies that may result from the OP.

If a caucasion guy came in posting “I’ve always had a thing for Chinese girls. How can I meet one?” What would the result be? :slight_smile:

Just trying to help the guy out. :slight_smile:[/quote][/quote]

Jdsmith you may wanna check out this thread

Surely you must be saying all of the above in jest…quote]

Nama,

nope, not in jest at all. I just read through that thread for the first time…my conclusion? It’s a pretty stupid thread. I’m sure most of it was written fast and in jest. My reply to AC was not. Actually, I’m now quite surprised at the restraint you have shown AC by not ripping into him as you did to the guys on the other thread. Why the change?

:slight_smile:

Because he’s not after Chinese girls instead of Western girls. It’s perfectly OK to go the other way around though.

Maybe I should start a “I lust after my wife” thread.

Just make sure she’s not Chinese/Taiwanese first.

Just make sure she’s not Chinese/Taiwanese first.[/quote]

Too late. I could get her a blond wig though…