Help us build the Forumosa Knowledge Base

I think it is best if people just post in the discussion forum. Then the best posts there can be moved into the Knowledge Base. If people post directly into the knowledge base then there will be no quality control and people may want to rebutt or add comments about what someone has written anyway. Just my NT$2 worth.

Also I have been looking through the knowledge base and even though it only contains a few articles at the moment it is great. This is the place to go to get great answers to questions without having to wade through hundreds of posts. I think it’s cool!!!

A more radical idea; what if Forumosa uses the Knowledge Base by default? Entering discussions will require an extra mouse click (e.g. “Discuss this Article”). I have seen this in online stores. One or two moderators will watch and edit the Knowledge Base in a particular category and can bump anything not useful to the discussion subsection. Another moderator will watch the discussion subsection.

So I clicked on the Knowlege link, went to “Living in Taiwan” and found… "ABCRich weighs in on Ziga Zaga. I’m at a loss as to what it is about this post that makes it eligible for the Knowledge list – its just someone’s personal opinion. Can anyone shed some light as to what kind of posts should be on here, or is it just a random thing?

At this stage, things are kind of random. I’m counting on members to recommend to the KB what they’ve found valuable to them. Since only the admins have access to the Article Approval step in the publishing process, what a member sends in must convince at least one of the administrators.

This is still a manual system, so only the most interested members have been sending things in. Eventually (hopefully?) most of this will be automated. This will make it easier for people to send in what they like, and faster for us to process them and stick them on the KB.

I’m undecided about posting Opinion pieces for now. As a discussion forum, I see most of what we see as opinion to begin with.

Incidentally, I have something a bit different in store for the Restaurant’s forum – but I need to finish working on this after Easter :wink:

I’m not sure exactly which thread this belongs in but I’ll try here. (please move it if necessary)

I have been rating a few posts that are of high quality. However, I have found that often there are great threads, but no individual posts in that thread that are particularly worth rating. i.e. there is a lot of useful information in the thread but it is not just in one or two posts. e.g. this thread

Is it possible to rate threads or is it a good idea to just give several posts in that thread a middle ranking (rather than the highest ranking)?

I can’t seem to open the knowledge base, message reads as follows :

Could not obtain type

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1054 Unknown column ‘Info’ in ‘where clause’

SELECT * FROM phpbb_kb_types WHERE id = Info

Line : 349
File : /… … …/3/kb.php

Hi, it took me a little while to do upgrade the KB to the latest version.

It seems to be working now. Here’s what you can do now:

1. You can submit articles – but these are still subject to approval by the Forumosa.com Admins. This is good so we can keep track of who gets what Chop and how much G$.

[People, please try to follow the current format, ,and “Source” the thread at the bottom. You may submit original articles for the KB – I’ll be meeting with my co-Admins this week to talk about what process (if any) we’ll have regarding this]

1. You can edit your articles (and you can preview them too, thank heavens)

Now, here’s what you CANNOT do:

1. You cannot SEARCH the KB yet. We’re going to have to wait a bit for this to be developed

Btw, the “types” of articles can now be easily set (and reset). If you have an idea of a new article type, post it here or e-mail it to admin@forumosa.com

I’ve added Opinion, and removed Tutorial

The knowledge base looks a bit thin… how about getting it back on track? Now, if all the prolific posters spend 5 minutes every day on writing down some things, they would like to have known, then we would have a huge base in no time.

What would be good would be an easy method for members to recommend for the KB, and p[erhaps for4 moderators to automatically copy to KB.

Brian

I sometimes post stuff that I hope will be useful to other people, not just the other posters in the discussion. I see that lots of other people do the same.
If anyone wants to take bits of mine or anyone else’s posts and put them into this ‘Knowledge Base’ they are welcome to although it would take quite a bit of searching through to find the good stuff.

To be quite honest, I think the idea of comprehensively updating the FAQs is a better one for a number of reasons. Firstly, people coming from other forums or from Usenet are used to the FAQ format so know what to look for. Secondly, information is well edited into a coherent whole rather than the knowledge base thing which seems to keep information a bit bitty and hard to access.

Although I’m rather busy at the moment, I would consider editing and putting together a FAQ regarding Taiwanese driving laws and tests at some point, if anyone thought this would be useful. I’m going to get round to doing the same for my site sometime anyway.

What do you do, when you feel that your own knowledge is a bit tatty?

For instance, I know a lot about mentality, as I studied it in college, I know how to buy a used car, and where the good hiking spots are, and I will happily share. Moreover, if someone here needs some help on it, I will contribute in the areas, where I think that my knowledge is top notch, and will leave the weaker areas to others.

[quote=“Mr He”]What do you do, when you feel that your own knowledge is a bit tatty?

For instance, I know a lot about mentality, as I studied it in college, I know how to buy a used car, and where the good hiking spots are, and I will happily share. Moreover, if someone here needs some help on it, I will contribute in the areas, where I think that my knowledge is top notch, and will leave the weaker areas to others.[/quote]
I think what other sites, Usenet etc. do is that the person assembling the FAQ will first bring together his/her own knowledge and the previous posts of others. He/she can then see what gaps remain, and put out a call for further contributions. Then he/she can put it all together as a more or less coherent whole. It doesn’t have to be completely authoritative and in fact can incorporate differing opinions when appropriate as long as this is explicitly noted.

Hiking is something I have been wanting to do more of. I’d certainly be interested if you or anyone else were able to compile a hiking Taiwan FAQ at some point.

If they made a sub-category about hiking, then I would put in a few good trails in northern Taiwan.

Car trouble thread in the living in Taiwan forum.

I have already tried to submit a piece on how to buy a second hand car here. Wonder if it’s good enough. I can post it here and get some feedback.

This is the way I see the Knowledge Base (a Living in Taiwan FAQ) developing:

Members could press a little button (or do some other simple process) to reccommend a post or entire thread to the KB. Moderators or a KB manager would decide whether or not to accept it - they could aslo edit it before accepting. Moderators could also automatically copy posts or threads in their forums to the KB. Moderators and/or a KB manager could also elicit responses to get more material for a particular KB item/FAQ eg “check out this Taidong FAQ I compliled from old threads - anyone else been to Taidong - what do you recommend?”. A KB manager or mod could also look at the KB as a whole and think about what else is needed eg “There’s nothing in the KB about martial arts in Taiwan - anyone want to contribute?”.

What should be done first, is get the technical stuff to make the process work sorted out (buttons would be best - who wants to copy threads into an e-mail and send it to admin?), think about appointing a KB manager, and then have a big push (spearheaded by the moderators who know their forums best) to recommend KB posts. If/when it takes off, the KB should be made more prominent (and maybe changed to be called 'Living in Taiwan FAQ), so that people know to check it, before asking the same old questions about visas or whatever over and over again.

Brian

The knowledege base could be a Wiki. See www.twiki.org for more details hough I think Kwiki works better with Chinese. Basically, Wikis are systems that allow groups of non-technial users to create networks of linked documentation. They’re way cool. There may even be a Wiki plug-in for phpBB.

The knowledege base could be a Wiki. See www.twiki.org for more details hough I think Kwiki works better with Chinese. Basically, Wikis are systems that allow groups of non-technial users to create networks of linked documentation. They’re way cool. There may even be a Wiki plug-in for phpBB.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Members could press a little button…

What should be done first, is get the technical stuff to make the process work…[/quote]
I have installed a content management system which will be the new knowledge base

Only moderators and administrators are able to choose what Topics may be copied or moved to the KB – but only the first post becomes the article. The rest become comments to that article. We should be careful not to simply duplicate the forums in another part of the website.

Please contact the admins and moderators to recommend articles for conversion

Original articles can be written directly to the KB. At the moment, this is restricted to moderators, admins and selected members. If you want to write for the Forumosa.com KB, please introduce yourself to us and so we can talk about giving you access. All articles will be credited to you, of course

Only administrators can make new “Chapters”. Please recommend new Chapters by sending email to the admins, posting in the feedback forum (for discussion) or using the feedback form at the bottom of this page