Help w. Hosting! 1and1 doesn't like me!

I"m having trouble signing up with 1and1.com… I discovered that they only let you if you are an American resident.

Yikes, what can I do? I’m neither American nor a resident there!

I love their package… cheaper than dreamhost (sorry to say) and more flexible, and allows 3 domains, all of which I could use. Dreamhost would be 50% more expensive for me to do the same thing!

Anybody another suggestion?

Kenneth

If you know someone who has moved (or moved back) to the U.S., you could ask him/her/it. Not sure if you are referring to the “free trial” deal or not (that was supposed to end back in January, but maybe they kept it going).

thanks for the quick reply.

No, not referrign to the free trial deal. Just the regular service.

I couldn’t sign up for it!

Kenneth

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]I"m having trouble signing up with 1and1.com… I discovered that they only let you if you are an American resident.

Yikes, what can I do? I’m neither American nor a resident there!

I love their package… cheaper than dreamhost (sorry to say) and more flexible, and allows 3 domains, all of which I could use. Dreamhost would be 50% more expensive for me to do the same thing!

Anybody another suggestion?

Kenneth[/quote]

I host with 34sp.com which is located in the UK, but you certainly don’t need to be British or a resident there. The first great thing about 34sp.com - they are CHEAP. Really cheap, like US$25 per year (not per month). They give you 10 email addresses plus 30 megs of hard disk space for that price. You can buy more space than that if you need it, but for most home users this would be enough. The servers are fast, and the customer service is good (whenever I’ve submitted a tech question, I usually got an answer within the hour). I just renewed my service with them (been using them for two years now).

But it’s not a hand-holding service. If you need a lot of bells and whistles, this isn’t it. I’ve seen some web hosting services that look like an online video game, so don’t expect that. But if you want http, ftp and email, 34sp.com is very good.

regards,
Robert

I’m exceedingly happy with ICD soft - $60 a year for 333Mb, and unlimited emails. They have more complex stuff like SQL too, included.

Servers in the USA, Hong Kong, and (I think) Europe. Pay in most major currencies, but not NT$. Support is excellent, and the control panel is easy to use.

i recently switched to hostpc.com from my older more expensive plan. heard good things about it from other techies and it’s pretty dirt cheap. still most of the bells and whistles that other isp’s offer, too.