Help with Taiwan SAR flag?

That’s quite easy – replace the sun with a single white star in the existing ROC flag. You can also shrink the blue part to become a square much like Liberia.

Hmm. I do see your point. Perhaps I should mention my color deficiency. As a kid I absolutely loved this one superhero costume (Wonder Man’s short-lived second one, which was red/yellow/green) that fan consensus rejected as too awful for words.

One problem with my design that I CAN see is that the flower looks decidedly unflowery–like a thought balloon? I don’t like the stamens and pistils on yours, but do like them on some bus logos, so maybe this is just the particular computer rendering. The “outline” of your flower bothers me for some reason. Maybe it should be red…? The Olympic flag has nested flower-outlines of red and blue; mine looks more like the Red Cross in Taiwan emblem.

redcross.org.tw/RedCross/index.jsp

I do see the merits of a bichromatic flag (like HK and Macao). Can Communist stars be blue? I guess technically that’s no weirder than yellow. But we can’t just change them to red (which is partly why I added the red trim), that looks unbalanced. Anyway, plum blossoms are supposed to be pink (and veined), right? Red on white produces the impression of pink.

Would you agree that my new version would be better for anti-unification protests? (Since it’s obvious around here what it means?) Perhaps someone could get Lien Chan to pose beside it…

I do like your dragon flag. What color is the field? It’s chief drawbacks would be that it would be impossible for most people to draw, and that it looks too much like the Qing flag (which the PRC doesn’t like, though I do).

SJCMA, ,my first thought was of Cuba and Chile. But a quick search revealed that your territorial flag idea would–by some strange cosmic coincidence–again make Taiwan’s flag look like Burma’s, only this time we’re talking about the predecessor of the current flag:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Myanmar

My original concept had no outline but Poagao added it and I quite like it. I was also thinking of a more stylized plum blossom rather than the plain old plain old. Same goes for the stamens, they can be stylized to look better like the HK SAR flag.

Plum blossom can indeed be all white, with yellow stamens (stars can be put here). Looking upwards set against a blue sky and you have the flag.

If you mean anti-unification but also anti-TI (status quo), then your design would be fine. Otherwise, the design is simply not green enough to be anti-unification and pro-TI.

The colour field is white although it’s got that white-on-white embroidering on it. Yeah, any dragon flag will be impossible to draw easily but at least it’ll be distinctive (ok, so Bhutan’s got a dragon too). I don’t necessarily think the PRC will reject a Qing flag as this will be a post-unification flag; going back to common roots such as the dragon as a symbol for Chinese-ness may very well be appealing.

Another design that I quickly whipped up is this:

It’s got the two power colours of China – red and gold/yellow – along with an obvious character in the middle. It’s also easy to draw. I got the inspiration from Hong Kong’s China Light and Power Co. which uses its initials C-L-P to assemble its Chinese character logo. Very clever.

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]SJCMA, ,my first thought was of Cuba and Chile. But a quick search revealed that your territorial flag idea would–by some strange cosmic coincidence–again make Taiwan’s flag look like Burma’s, only this time we’re talking about the predecessor of the current flag:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Myanmar[/quote]
Coincidence indeed!

I like it! It’s easily visible, symmetrical, and impossible to mistake. The main vexillological objection would be that it’s better to avoid writing (or maps), as this is kind of cheating. (The “old guard” prefers heraldic symbols and the like.) The color scheme is Bhutanese–if you had gone with a dragon, they’d confuse almost everybody.

Yellow stamens and stars on a white flower? But this would be invisible…

No, no–my idea would be to follow KMT people around pretending to support them, but also to wave this flag. More of a “This is what you support” kind of thing.

Instead of explicit writing per se, I would characterize it as shapes which suggest a written character since no Chinese person in their right mind would write such an blocky character.

It would, that’s why I opted for blue instead. An alternative would be to have the stars in yellow and be placed just outside of each petal of the plum blossom. This way, it’d be yellow against blue and would be very visible. It would also be consistent with Macau’s yellow-stars-on-green SAR flag.

No, no–my idea would be to follow KMT people around pretending to support them, but also to wave this flag. More of a “This is what you support” kind of thing.[/quote]
OIC, you’re going for witty satire here. I’m afraid your point will be lost amongst the masses.

China could use the symbol from the Greatest American Hero:

en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit … rican_Hero

It’s basically the same as the Nazi flag, except with the character “Chung” in place of the swastika. (And the “Chung” has two little snake eyes, just like Dr. Strange’s chest-symbol sometimes did.)

That’s the new PLA uniform.