Helpless Feeling

Down around Di Hua earlier today - walking towards the wharf area. Looked and saw a fairly large dog swinging by it’s neck 5 stories up. Obviously been left out on the rooftop and fell while chained. Still alive- barely. No idea how long it had been there.

Did the obvious thing of trying to gain access to the building - could only get to the 2nd floor - gated above with no one home. The downstairs neighbour had been harassed by a series of people trying to save the dog - but no one was able to get in.

Depressed at how helpless we were to do anything.

The story ends badly.

Skippy, we may feel helpless, but let me commend you for taking notice and doing your best to save this poor dog’s life. This sort of nonsense just simply has to be stopped. As sick as this is, it is at least a little heartening to hear that there were other people who wanted to help the dog as well.

You say the story ends badly…could you PM more details. I presume the dog is now dead but whoever is responsible deserves punishment!

Eric

Skippy,

Good on you for trying. :bravo:

It must have ben horrible to watch - many people would have just walked away.

Sadly, such ignorant neglect is rife here (I’m assuming the dog fell while chained up). I’ve seen people dragging dogs behind their scooters, unaware that the poor animal is no longer running. Then there’s the dogs in cages. … It saddens me immensely, but one of our goals is to educate people as to responsible pet care and ownership.

In England, the owner would have been prosecuted and perhaps even imprisoned. Unfortunately, that won’t happen here in the near future.

It will change, I’m sure, but of course it takes time.

Once again, Skippy, I commend you on trying your best. Sorry to hear of the sad ending.

Sean

[quote=“Skippy”]The downstairs neighbour had been harassed by a series of people trying to save the dog - but no one was able to get in.
.[/quote]

That’s what makes it sick is that the neighbour knew and seemed not do anything to assist with that. What happen to the good ole days when you called the fire department and they came and helped out with out complaint? :s

I saw a fireman rescuing a kitten from a hole high up in a pillar. Someone must have called the fire brigade out for that. I rescued the kitty from the fireman just before he threw it into a busy road. :noway:

I know that firefighters will come out to take away snakes. Maybe they will respond to such calls as the one in the OP.

[quote=“Stray Dog”]
I know that firefighters will come out to take away snakes. Maybe they will respond to such calls as the one in the OP.[/quote]

Probably not. Saving a dog may not get their picture in the Apple daily… :s

[quote=“Stray Dog”]I saw a fireman rescuing a kitten from a hole high up in a pillar. Someone must have called the fire brigade out for that. I rescued the kitty from the fireman just before he threw it into a busy road. :noway:
…[/quote]

And the kitten in question is this bundle of energy! She’s available and is at the perfect age for anyone with children to teach them about caring for a live animal.

Give me an address and a photograph of the apartment in question. I’d be more than happy to let them experience what they let their dog suffer. At least they’d have the opposable thumbs to be able to climb back up.