Hess banner

Especially Hess. Make 'em pay. Make 'em pay through the nose, that’s what their parents are doing. Then we can all have the Hess sponsored booze up!

I think all the large chain cram schools have received criticisms over the years; some justified, probably some not. My first year was spent at Kojen. Overall, it was a good experience. The school provided a “soft landing” upon arrival and supported me through guidance, advice and T. training thereby providing me with a solid foundation before I spread my wings and moved to a high school. Hess does the same according to their very professional-looking website.

So what IS wrong with Hess? Are you going by heresay or first-hand experience? Also, what would Hess have to say about the complaints? I don’t think people can make decisions based on only one point of view. Give the big bad employers a chance to defend themselves first. And no I’m not being paid off for these comments!

I have a friend arriving soon. After seeing the Hess website and reading teachers’ comments there, I think I’ll recommend she check out Hess among other schools who provide training and support.

My point is that they shouldn’t have a banner. Let them advertise in the jobs section like EVERYONE ELSE! It also seems that I see their banner more often than others? Is it random? OR do new banners move up on the rotation list?

In what way?

Ok, this isn’t supposed to be a discussion about Hess, but rather a discussion about whether Hess should be allowed to have a banner here. I fully support the idea of putting up Hess’s banner. They’re not idiots over there - they know we have many posts that are critical of them, and posts that support them, and yet they are oepn-minded enough to recognize the value of putting up a banner here. Rather than repress other organizations, let’s educate ourselves and others about them. If they are willing to work with a website that will surely put them under scrutiny, more power to them.

In what way?[/quote]

There are numerous postings about the shortcomings of Hess.

My proof that they are worse is thus: Are Hess better than those other schools? NO, THEY ARE NOT! So, they are worse.

OK folks. I’ll stop hijacking the topic here after a comment to Twocs.

If Hess isn’t better, what makes it worse? Perhaps it’s just the same as other cram schools. I was hoping for an informative comment that might give me cause to reconsider my decision to recommend Hess. Having failed to receive anything objective or concrete, I’ll recommend the school to my friend.

And now to conform with the topic…

Let Hess have their banner here. They’re promoting Forumosa. Isn’t that what we want?

How about letting NON-profit sites/companies participate in the banner exchange…and make others pay?

School’s shouldn’t be allowed to have banners. They should post in the Classifieds where they belong.

Hess is just doing what any business is supposed to do…make money. Yeash, do you really expect a business to have a noble purpose that is higher than making money. Yes, have great motives, but if you are not making money you won’t be doing it for long.

If Hess isn’t hurting you then leave them alone and let them have their banner here. People have bad experiences with any company but Hess hires so many foreigners and only a small number complain, that to me is doing pretty well. You can’t please all of the people all of the time. Perhaps you can’t please twocs any of the time, at least when it comes to Hess?

What’s your beef?

I’d rather see a “Bassman’s School Banner”! It wouldn’t make me cringe.

[quote=“autumn489”]OK folks. I’ll stop hijacking the topic here after a comment to Twocs.

If Hess isn’t better, what makes it worse? Perhaps it’s just the same as other cram schools. I was hoping for an informative comment that might give me cause to reconsider my decision to recommend Hess. Having failed to receive anything objective or concrete, I’ll recommend the school to my friend.[/quote]

All the more power to you. But something I’d be interested in is the informed choice that your friend will make. Chances are it won’t be Hess unless she doesn’t have any other option.

I decided not to vote after all. The administrators are capable of making their own decision about what is right. This site costs money and time (more money) to maintain.

If you’re not prepared to do work to make this site possible then it’s not your place to make policy. And posting your complaints about Hess, or opinions on anything else, is not ‘work’. That’s recreation and we do that for our own benefit. Gus, Maoman, etc. are providing a valuable service here and, whatever I might personally think about a Hess banner, they have the right to choose.

I think it was certainly a reasonable discussion point that Stevieboy raised, and there’s been some useful discussion. Of course in the end the decision does rest with those who pay the money and put in the work, but those people do often ask the rest of us for our opinions and I feel that open discussion of things like this can only be beneficial for Forumosa.

[quote=“twocs”][quote=“autumn489”]OK folks. I’ll stop hijacking the topic here after a comment to Twocs.

If Hess isn’t better, what makes it worse? Perhaps it’s just the same as other cram schools. I was hoping for an informative comment that might give me cause to reconsider my decision to recommend Hess. Having failed to receive anything objective or concrete, I’ll recommend the school to my friend.[/quote]

All the more power to you. But something I’d be interested in is the informed choice that your friend will make. Chances are it won’t be Hess unless she doesn’t have any other option.[/quote]

My friend will do her homework and will be in a position to make an informed choice. Would it make you feel better to know she didn’t choose Hess? Sounds like you were really burned by them. If that’s so, I’m sorry to hear that. We all hope for good experiences when we come over here. I’ll let you know my friend’s decision after she arrives in Feb.

If something’s not better it’s worse? WTF kind of logic is that? :laughing:

I agree that this thread should be mostly about banners but I just couldn’t let that little gem from twocs slide.

I just noticed that when you click on a banner it takes you directly to the target page - it doesn’t open a new window for you like links in threads do.

Is that a mistake, or policy?

I think Gus handled it objectively by offering the chance to advertise on forumosa.com to a couple of schools. I don’t think it’s extremely fair to smaller schools or ones who don’t have the computer know-how to make a nice banner, but then the same could be applied to any company that advertises on here and their competitors. Maybe a gentle reminder to those sites which are not holding up their end of the banner-exchange bargain is in order.

Working at Hess taught me a lot about teaching…really learned a lot. Too bad that dumb fucking idiot who used to manage the schools here in Kaohsiung ran them into the ground.

My contract was not renewed there because I complained about that big rat (size of a large housecat) I saw on the second floor one time (Yep, it was right next to the big hole in floor, next to that bathroom that hadn’t been cleaned in months).