Hess dress code?

This is a question for anyone currently teaching for Hess. What is the teacher dress code like? And is it strictly enforced at the site at which you currently work?

For men:
No shorts or open-toed shoes. No sandals.
No matter how strict the branch you’re at is, there will occasionally be visits from us Main Office people - and we’ll be checkin’ you out!
I wear “long capris” in the summer, or maybe you’d call them “baggy highwaters”. Somewhat similar to the longer pants that women wear, but baggier. They go down to somewhere above my ankle. That’s OK, and it allows for a little breeze to keep me cool. But capris that show your shins aren’t kosher.
Some of the advertisements feature foreign men with earrings. So have no fear of the earrings. They’re cool.
T-shirts are OK.
Jeans are OK - unless they’re ripped. Ripped jeans are tacky.

So, for the summer, if that’s what you’re talking about, T-shirts and “long capris”/“highwaters” in Chinese “九份褲” should be ok - but no sandals.

Tacky company t-shirts optional except for photo opportunities. (The few fairly nice ones are also optional.)

Ya, they used to have cotton, but now we mostly get polyester-like stuff, yuck… Some people like the polyester, though, because it soaks up the sweat?

[quote=“Sinister Tiddlywinks”]For men:
No matter how strict the branch you’re at is, there will occasionally be visits from us Main Office people - and we’ll be checkin’ you out!
I wear “long capris” in the summer, or maybe you’d call them “baggy highwaters”. Somewhat similar to the longer pants that women wear, but baggier. They go down to somewhere above my ankle. That’s OK, and it allows for a little breeze to keep me cool. But capris that show your shins aren’t kosher.
Some of the advertisements feature foreign men with earrings. So have no fear of the earrings. They’re cool.
T-shirts are OK.

So, for the summer, if that’s what you’re talking about, T-shirts and “long capris”/“highwaters” in Chinese “九份褲” should be ok - but no sandals.[/quote]

Im in training for Hess right now and what the trainers told me is that the shorts thing is branch specific. Some branches allow them, as long as they are relatively long, ie at your knees.

Its been really hot in my office in Maryland recently but I’ve had no problem wearing jeans everyday with a polo shirt - is it really that much hotter in the schools there? We had no AC with the temp outside in the 90’s. I was sweating a lil but it wasn’t really that bad to me. Then again my co-workers were dying…

The temperature here in summer can reach 35 or 36 degrees Celsius so the classroom would be about 30 degrees. There are usually no air conditioners in public schools but there are in private ones. Classrooms of every Hess branch have air conditioners inside.

The temperature here in summer can reach 35 or 36 degrees Celsius so the classroom would be about 30 degrees. There are usually no air conditioners in public schools but there are in private ones. Classrooms of every Hess branch have air conditioners inside.[/quote]

Hm, well that sounds like 86F inside and 96F outside, thats about what its like here. Its probably a lot more humid there though. When I visited Taiwan it was in the winter so I didn’t need to worry about the heat, had a light jacket on when i went to koahsiung.

[quote=“Morrow”][quote=“Sinister Tiddlywinks”]For men:
T-shirts are OK.

So, for the summer, if that’s what you’re talking about, T-shirts and “long capris”/“highwaters” in Chinese “九份褲” should be ok - but no sandals.[/quote]

Im in training for Hess right now and what the trainers told me is that the shorts thing is branch specific. Some branches allow them, as long as they are relatively long, ie at your knees.[/quote]

Yes, but those branches are a rarity. The kindergartens are usually a little more lax, but I wouldn’t expect it from a bushiban.

I am trying to get a job with Hess and I know what they are, however I need a steady job with steady pay, training, and my TEFL. I have some ESL experience but I do not have any formal training. I am going to take my pictures they requested but I do not know what to wear. I have heard that some people wear more casual clothes and others more business. I want to increase my chances as much as possible.

Just look neat and presentable on your photo. No need for a suit.

And the training they give you is worth nothing outside of Hess - it’s based on their curriculum and books. Nothing to do with TEFL or TESOL or whatsoever.

But I can understand where you’re coming from - just want to wish you luck in working for them - if you get accepted.

I worked for them for one year.

Hi, I’m just wondering then if anyone has any suggestions for the skype interview with HESS? Should a person wear a formal suit for that or is just a nice professional shirt ok? And are there any colors (of the shirt) that are a good idea - or a bad idea? Thanks so much for any advice you can give me~ I really appreciate it!