Hey brother can you spare a zuchinni

Hi folks,

Anyone know where you might procure a couple of these little beauties? I’ve been fiending them for a couple of months now and am considering growing them.

I’m concerned though, I hear that zuchinni is a ‘gateway’ vegetable and once you get started on it you’ll go on to the hard stuff (like tomatos.) :laughing:

Lan

Be warned! Tomatoes are only the soft stuff – before you know where you are, you’ll be adding things like bitter gourd to your salads AND FORGETTING TO WARN YOUR GUESTS, such will be the depths of your chlorophyll-addled depravity.

I’ve been seeing courgettes (for such they are called in the civilized world) in several Wellcomes over the past few months, but they’re pretty expensive, too large for my taste :blush: and usually look a bit “past it.”

Bit like myself, in fact. :cry:

Oh right. Cojettes and aubergines…la di da…sniff.

I prefer the italian word—

because-a when-a ya talkin about-a da biga ZUCCHINI-a, you know, ya gotta emphasiz-a how biga da damn thing iz-a, you know what i mean-a? anda for me-a, da bigga da zucchini da bettah…:stuck_out_tongue:

sometimes costco has such gems as zukes and portabello mushrooms and blueberries. i’ve seen em, and i’ve bought em there.

i really dig those portabello mushrooms, man…

The little grocery on the left-hand side of Chungshan R. Sec [I think it’s] 7 above the circle in Tienmu used to have them quite a lot, but they charged HUGE prices, especially considering that in the US, zucchini (for such they are called in the linguistically-dominant United States :wink: ) are a ring-the-doorbell-and-run vegetable that neighbors try to foist off on unwary neighbors in the dead of night.

I don’t think you can bring seeds legally into Taiwan, but I must say I’ve considered it in the past, too. Mmmmm…zucchini bread! But suppose the “Western Zucchini Worm” wreaked havoc on the rice crop, or something…!

Terry, even I can’t support you on this. English/Italian is a ‘world language’, remember?

So if the Brits, and their colonists, prefer using the term “cojette”, taken from their close friends and neighbours, the French, ahem, then who are we to force a Dean Martin on them just because of the dominance of Italian immigration on American culinary sensibilities?

“When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool…”

The supermarket under Breeze on Fushing normally has them. They also stock all kinds of wonderful hard to find things - fennel, brussel sprouts, spinach leaves etc etc.

[quote=“Alien”]Terry, even I can’t support you on this. English/Italian is a ‘world language’, remember?

So if the Brits, and their colonists, prefer using the term “cojette”, taken from their close friends and neighbours, the French, ahem, then who are we to force a Dean Martin on them just because of the dominance of Italian immigration on American culinary sensibilities?
[/quote]

Um, Alien…I know you like to spell “colour” with a “u” for personal reasons which I won’t delve into here :shock: , but, er, Britain DID lose the Am Rev. and the War of 1812, and the sun has pretty much set on the Empire (with apologies to my British friends ) :wink:

i don’t know about zuchs, but i’ve bought some fine portabello mushrooms from wellcome at zhongxiao/dunhua (under tower and across from blockbbbuster).
yum :smiley:

Thanks for the help folks!

Does anyone know if any are to be had in Taichung? It seems the only thing we’ve got here is cheap scooters, bad traffic, low rent and a pleasant living environment. Sigh. If someone asked me six months ago if I would take a four hour round trip bus ride to shop for cheese or zuchinni, I’d ask them if I looked like a complete idiot… now I just avoid mirrors. :wink:

Cheers,

Lan

Do you just want to buy “final products” or grow something yourself?
For seeds try the DIYs, there are quite a few. One I like(d) (quite large) is in Tan Zi on Zhong Shan Rd., left side if you are coming from Taichung. Or try ACE on Feng Jia Rd., on the right, right after Xi Tun Rd. if you come from Feng Jia.
If money is not one of your greater concerns and you don’t like to wait for two or three months you can go directly to Sogo (Bldg 1) on Zhong Gang Rd., near Zhong Ming Rd./Jin Hua N. Rd. or (perhaps the better choice, also for parking) Mitsukoshi, also on Zhong Gang Rd., near Wen Xin Rd…