Hi i'm new

god i hate saying that…

i’d like to get out of where i am and come to Taiwan to teach…

what’s the difference between a buxiban and a private cram/language school?

and what about working in Government schools? In many countries you can’t and7or you don’t want to.

Since i’m so new i imagine it would be best for me to sign up with a recruiter…?

thanks

Same thing. :rainbow:

Welcome to Forumosa!

Welcome spark.

Where are you new to and seeking to get out of? Are you in Taiwan?

A buxiban and a private cram/language school are the same thing. No idea on government school gigs, but there’s plenty more clods around who I’m sure will help.

HG

Recruiters are not always to be trusted. Please use the search function and do your homework before coming, for your own good.

i’m in Ankara

haven’t been any further east than that.

There are a couple of recruiters with high marks on Buxiban.com.

is 50-60,000 an average decent salary for a newb?

(i have the BA and CELTA cert + exp.)

[quote=“spark”]I’m in Ankara

haven’t been any further east than that.

There are a couple of recruiters with high marks on Buxiban.com.

is 50-60,000 an average decent salary for a newb?

(I have the BA and CELTA cert + exp.)[/quote]
Better to come here and look for a job. Many of those recruiters are not trustworthy.

If you’re going to use a recruiter, here is what I suggest.

Come to Taiwan before talking to anyone about securing you a job.

There are recruiters and there are recruiters. Reputable ones seem few and far between. How can you tell the difference? The recruiter doesn’t ask you to sign a contract with him, nor does he demand any money from you. Also, he doesn’t try pressuring you into taking a position.

Even the good recruiters have their problems. For example, I’ve found two employers through John Dewey. The school I’m at now is great, best place I’ve ever worked. The previous school was run by a couple of charlatans. The point is while the recruiter may be on the up and up, the same is not necessarily true about the school he sends you to.

Do your research, here and on other websites. Do everything by the book, be legal. If you don’t know what is legal, you haven’t done your research. And for God’s sake don’t do anything people have warned you NOT to do.

I strongly advise against a recruiter. At best, recruiters do the same thing you could do for yourself. At worst, they will be dishonest.

If you are just looking for something easy to do and safe, you might consider working for a big chain school like Hess, Kojen, or Joy. They always need people and these will be pretty safe bets. Then you can change to something more your speed after a year.

If you are passionate about teaching and want something more, then I suggest you ask around this forum and try to find a place that suits your desires for teaching.

Don’t count on it though. I know people who got screwed by Hess and Kojen, my sister being one of them. They sign you up, tell you how great they are and then give you 8 or 9 hours a week. You sort of become the back-up teacher for when the next guy/girl bails out without a word of notice.

But get here first before you agree to anything. I came here with a contract already signed and it worked out well, but this has not been the case for many.

JOHN MOSS,

I have got my facts wrong and apologize profusely. I mistook you for another poster, Rasputin. All I can say is that I am a total dick.
TomHill.

[quote=“TomHill”]JOHN MOSS,

I have got my facts wrong and apologize profusely. I mistook you for another poster, Rasputin. All I can say is that I am a total dick.
TomHill.[/quote]

foot
mouth
disease

:laughing: :bravo:

Yes. I’m also ecstatic that MrsHill has finally given the green light for us to return to England. That could be the only other possible excuse for my total retardation.

thank you all

its out of the question for me to come there first…i havent the money or time right now. I’d like to - that’s what i did before i came to Turkey.
But now that i’ve been teaching for a while i know what to look for.
It’s always a gamble.

I applied to Reach To Teach because it has a very good reputation. I’ll still be looking at individual schools that advertise, and perhaps when the need arises İ can ask your opinion on those.

Wow, a BA, a CELTA, and prior experience? Well, as long as you’re not black, you shouldn’t have many problems finding work. I should know. I have all of these things and I still can’t find a job. :unamused:

Excuse me for my cynicism, but I’m sure if you apply for places like Jackson Kids, Happy Marian, Jump Start, and all the other schools who make up excuses for not hiring (as in we have no jobs) for black applicants, you’ll find one. You can find their ads here and on tealit. Apparently, they’re still looking for teachers as long as you have the right skin color.