High court sentences Canadian to five years for drugs

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]

He copped around 17 years. The prosecution were pushing for the death penalty. But the most galling aspect was they denied him access to his family and granted only limited time with his lawyers during the trial. He was up for the sentence, whatever they gave him, but the abuse of his visitation rights highlights the level of wanton sadism in Taiwan’s penal system. [/quote]
That’s beyond fucked up.

OK here’s the old thread [English teachers nabbed in drug-ring bust (Part 2)

[i]Matty was sentenced to 15 years this morning in Taipei District Court, which means he could possibly be paroled in 10. The charge he was found guilty of was selling a class 1 drug (cocaine). Prosecutors had asked for the death penalty a couple of weeks ago. His own lawyers were hoping for a term of 12 years, which would mean faster parole. He will still be able to appeal the decision twice, with the hopes of getting the sentence reduced.

A Taiwanese, whom police apprehended buying cocaine from Matty, was sentenced to a lesser sentence (three years I think) but was allowed to jiaobao - pay NT$200,000 instead of serving any more time. To date, both Matty and the Taiwanese defendant have been in jail more than a year, time which will count against the final sentence.[/i]