High End (Seafood-ish) Restaurant

Hi!

I’m looking for a very good restaurant that serves seafood. It must be a restaurant where there is a dress code. Not necessarily a seafood restaurant, but hopefully with many seafood choices. Good service is a must, but good selection of food and wine is a muster. Hehe.

If I can speak with the chef directly, OR if the restaurant can accomodate my requests, then perfect. Tell me the person I should speak with, I’ll mention your name. Chinese, Japanese, Italian, French, Portugese. No matter.

Money is not an issue. Please help. (That’s you, elektronisk. Been anywhere fancy lately?)

Thanks!

Sounds like you’re taking a hot fish-eating vegetarian on a date. :wink:

Seriously, most of the really good seafood restaurants here do not do things like enforce dress codes. I know of a really great place on Shinsheng South Rd, just north of Heping (Very Good?), and the food is spectacular, but it’s bustling and noisy. Hardly the place for the kind of evening you suggest.

I’m going to be biased and suggest that you call Paco at Olala! If you’re willing and money is no object, he’ll probably design you a menu for the night according to your directions and expectations. It’s exactly the kind of challenge that will get his ideas creativity flowing and I’m very sure that you will not be disappointed.

Pm me if you want his number.

I agree with Citizen K. Most of the best seafood restaurants here don’t have a dress code and are usually very casual.

If you want personalized service and a chef that will listen to your requests, I’d make the same recommendation as Citizen K. (No we are not the same person).

I’ve raved about Olala! before, but the great thing is that you can talk with Paco and he will arrange a special menu for you. Another thing is that if you go during the week it is rarely crowded. You can have an intimate, special, and somewhat private dinner to remember.

You have been there before, so you may be looking for something new.

If you are looking to impress your date, Paris 1930 is probably your best bet. It can be a little “stuffy” for some people however.

If you are looking for getting your date to fall for you, then you should book a private room at Bagel Bagel. I haven’t been back for a long time so you should check to see if they are still around. The food is not outstanding (but it is good) but the atmosphere is fantastic.

Fred Smith is far more knowledgeable than I, but he doesn’t post in restaurants anymore.

Now, if you were inviting me I’d give you some great recommendations. :stuck_out_tongue:

Bagel Bagel is an excellent suggestion. It’s been a few years since I’ve been, as well, so as with elektronisk, I’m not sure if they’re still around.

It’s in a Japanese colonial house where all of the different rooms are set with dining tables. Very intimate and very comfortable.

The couple times that I went, they had a very knowledgeable chef from Hong Kong who met with me and designed a menu according to my specs. It is, or at least was, quite renoun in the trade office/diplomatic circles as a place where you could go to privately entertain colleagues over a good meal. Ask Fred about it; he was the reason I happened upon it.

Ha. What are the chances? The internet is an odd place sometimes…
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … highlight=

I’ve been to a high-end Japanese place (seafood on board obviously). Teak all over the place. Very good service in a beautiful setting. Can’t for the life of me remember where. Dunhua N Road? It’s sort of a subterranean koi garden. Lots of little semi-private alcoves. We spent 4k for 2 pax without any wine or beer.

Can anyone think of the place I’m describing?

[quote=“Alleycat”]I’ve been to a high-end Japanese place (seafood on board obviously). Teak all over the place. Very good service in a beautiful setting. Can’t for the life of me remember where. Dunhua N Road? It’s sort of a subterranean koi garden. Lots of little semi-private alcoves. We spent 4k for 2 pax without any wine or beer.

Can anyone think of the place I’m describing?[/quote]

Do you mean Shintori on An He Road? Not really in that area, but it sounds somewhat similar.

[quote=“elektronisk”][quote=“Alleycat”]I’ve been to a high-end Japanese place (seafood on board obviously). Teak all over the place. Very good service in a beautiful setting. Can’t for the life of me remember where. Dunhua N Road? It’s sort of a subterranean koi garden. Lots of little semi-private alcoves. We spent 4k for 2 pax without any wine or beer.

Can anyone think of the place I’m describing?[/quote]

Do you mean Shintori on Anhe Road? Not really in that area, but it sounds somewhat similar.[/quote]

Yep: That’s it.

shintori.com.tw/flash/index.htm

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I could have done a google search but posting on F.com, you feel like you are talking to friends and you can hold them accountable for bad recommendations. :wink:

Shintori (People’s) is nice, but not there’s no dress code. I do like their food though, and the ambience is good for a dinner with friends then over to the couches for drinks.

Olala also has a casual atmosphere, and great food also.

After my own research, the decision is Italian food at www.Ratafia1989.com. Diverse menu, close by, and from the pictures it looks quite nice. Actually French food at Paris 1930 at the Landis Hotel looked nice too, but it’s kinda far.

Once again, thank you! You guys really came through. I’ll post a review.

Try http://www.mitsuitaipei.com.tw/

If you get enough people to get a room you can avoid the dress-code issue. Other than that people dress fairly nicely. Recently in the news over the insider info. kerfluffle

[quote=“Elegua”]Try http://www.mitsuitaipei.com.tw/

If you get enough people to get a room you can avoid the dress-code issue. Other than that people dress fairly nicely. Recently in the news over the insider info. kerfluffle[/quote]
I think the point is that 914 wants to avoid the riff-raff and have a red carpet affair so he can wear his best threads.
Like this:

Not this:

I think that restaurant is closer to the former than the latter.

Not that one, the other one. :secret:

[quote=“914”]Hi!

I’m looking for a very good restaurant that serves seafood. It must be a restaurant where there is a dress code. Not necessarily a seafood restaurant, but hopefully with many seafood choices. Good service is a must, but good selection of food and wine is a muster. Hehe.

If I can speak with the chef directly, OR if the restaurant can accomodate my requests, then perfect. Tell me the person I should speak with, I’ll mention your name. Chinese, Japanese, Italian, French, Portugese. No matter.

Money is not an issue. Please help. (That’s you, elektronisk. Been anywhere fancy lately?)

Thanks![/quote]

I would suggest a Japanese restaurant. They don’t have the bustling atmosphere of a Taiwanese place, and their seafood is top quality. My suggested place is called “Gigolo” which is on a parallel street to Linsheng N Rd. Its often frequented by hostess girls and whilst it doesn’t have a dress code, its got some class. Its a fairly small place but very nicely presented. The owner (Japanese) can speak Chinese and English.

The food is some of the best I’ve had in Taiwan and their chef comes from Japan.

[quote=“914”]After my own research, the decision is Italian food at www.Ratafia1989.com. Diverse menu, close by, and from the pictures it looks quite nice.

I’ll post a review.[/quote]

How did you like Ratafia? :foottapping

Also, the Shintori I meant is north on Anhe road from People’s and on the other side of the street.

68, An He Rd., sec. 2, Taipei City
Tel: (02) 2702-5588

p.s. belated Happy Birthday! :beer: Sorry, no champagne emoticon.