High paying part time English teaching jobs

Hi, so I’ve signed my public school contract again for one more year, but I’ve also been accepted to and will start my PhD.

After this year’s contact, I want to switch to something part time (Maximum 20 hours) so I can dedicate my focus on my studies (and also take the intensive mandarin course that is covered by my tuition waiver)

I’ve heard that se test prep places pay as much as 1000 an hour and that this is supposedly quite common? But when I look at 104, 111, or Facebook groups the pay seems to hover between 650 and 800 an hour.

How does one find these higher paying positions exactly? I was paid 700 when I was brand new here in 2018 with just a bachelor’s and no experience. Now I’ve worked in public school as well as buxiban (even public school in America as well) and have since obtained my masters. So there has to be better paying opportunities out there right?

Luckily, I’ve got a year to find something, but I thought I’d try to prepare ahead.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

High paying jobs will usually not be posted on the boards, you will need to negotiate it 1-on-1 with the school. If the school like what you bring to the table, you can ask for a higher salary.

Test prep, especially university admission tests like SAT, GRE and GMAT do pay much higher (especially if you can teach both the English and the math parts). 1200 nt an hour is not an unheard of rate, but you have to be good to get it.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight. Do you think going to these centers in person with a resume in hand is the best bet?

Unfortunately, I can’t teach the math parts. But I think I’m pretty good at teaching the other parts.

I taught TOEIC last semester and will be teaching sat this year

Yes, building some rapport with the hiring manager is the way to go. they might not have an opening but the smart ones will remember you for future opportunities.
You are highly qualified (Masters degree, certified (?) to teach in schools, classroom experience, PhD on the way) so there is defintely room to negotiate a higher salary.

another option is private tutoring, but that is a word-of-mouth business.

Math parts: maybe you can teach yourself how to teach them? if you offer the full package you have an edge vis-a-vis the other tutors.

1 Like

You are right, math is just my weak spot. I do fine on stats but I struggle with complex algebra and even geometry.

But you’re right it’d be best to work on improving that so I can teach it as well.

Thanks for your help!