High Rise Fire in Taichung

I was ferrying a motorcycle from Chuangwha to Taipei when I came across it.

Funny thing was that there were sirens blaring, fire engines trying to get through and ambulances darting about everywhere but the huge collection of onlookers were just standing in the middle of the road. I literally saw one ambulance crew member have to get out of the ambulance and ask people to move out of the way so it could get through, even though its sirens were on. :loco: :loco: :loco:

If it is arson, it’s more likely to be an insurance scam than a protection thing. The dept. stores in the old downtown area have been doing very badly since the opening of the Sogos and Mitsukoshi. Many have closed over the years, and a few have burned in the 17 years I’ve been here. I don’t remember most of the names 'cos I’m not a shopaholic, and I don’t date them either.
There’s a Rena1 hospital in Taichung? That’s a new one on me. Do you mean Chungsh@n or China Medical College perhaps?

No, it’s meant to be “j e n a i” but the text keeps autochanging it. I don’t know why. It’s that hospital in Dali.

Didn’t hear anything about it until my mum said she’d seen it on the news in England.

I went past there today – lots of scooters going slowly, people craning necks to look, some TV vans. Assumed the fuss was for a visiting pop star.

[quote=“silencepleasei’mworking”]They sent them to Veteran’s? That’s so far away. What about Ren’ai or general?[/quote]Ren’ai/J e n ai would seem the obvious choice. Straight down Linsen/Guoguang Rd. Maybe it being in Dali City made some difference – red tape or something.

That fire made the International news, i wonder why. US, England, France and Australia as far as I know. Was it really that big?

[quote=“igorveni”]That fire made the International news, i wonder why. US, England, France and Australia as far as I know. Was it really that big?[/quote]Helicopter rescue from revolving restaurant in the sky. Dramatic enough.

Maybe being in Taichung County has something to do with it, but anyway, Chungsh@n is even closer… :s

It was on the news in Germany, too.

Here’s a picture from April 2000 (if I remember this correctly, they had just finished building it):