High school options for non-millionaire expats?

I’m posting this for some Korean friends of mine in Taipei. They have junior high / senior high school aged children. These children have attended American schools in the past, and have language abilities good enough that they were accepted to Taipei American School. The problem is that the tuitions at all the English-speaking schools here are sky high, including the various Christian schools that I know of. Taipei Korean school only goes up to sixth grade. The kids speak only a little survival Chinese, so Chinese schools are not an option.

I thought of Hsinchu Experimental School, where they could study in English, but pay the minimal tuition of a public school. Any ideas for here in the greater Taipei area?

Thanks!

I always wanted to know the price of TAS. I have heard different figures. What is the actual cost for one year of high school at TAS?

If anyone does have any answers for this thread can you post them please. I am really curious myself.

Check here:

tas.edu.tw/admissions/tuition.html

We are soon to deal with this headache of a problem. I’m not certain what we will do for our boy when he gets to middle school. But I’m pretty certain we will send him back to my parents to live when he gets to high school so that he can attend the same high school that I did… at least for one, maybe two years… he’ll be kinda like an exchange student… but not exactly.

As for middle school, we are looking at the British School and even Bethany. But these are not much less expensive than TAS. :cry:

One problem with TAS is that it is that most students are upper class Taiwanese. What I have heard is that it has more than its fair share of spoiled brats chauffeured to school. Do you want your kid to have that kind of class-mates?

I would go for the experimental school or the european one. (As I am from Europe).

Primary school is likely to be local for my kids.

Ok , I just had a mild heart attack after looking at the fees. If I start saving now and my kid gets kept back a few years I should be able to afford it. Of course he will have to forgo college and eating.

Welcome to the club. However, it’s hard to say what you might be able to afford in a few years.

A cheaper solution would be to let them through the whole mill here and then send them on a 1yr pre-college bridging course in UK.

However, local primary schools are relatively ok if supplemented with some English cramming and a few creative classes thrown in. At least, that’s what I will do.

[quote=“Holger Nygaard”]One problem with TAS is that it is that most students are upper class Taiwanese. What I have heard is that it has more than its fair share of spoiled brats chauffeured to school. Do you want your kid to have that kind of class-mates?
.[/quote]

We have had this problem at Morrison. The missionary kids form one clique, and the rich Chinese kids another. It’s sad. The fees are terrifying, but at least at Morrison you can spread them out if you like.

Michael

So it’s a problem at Morrison too?

Well, what do you do?

Do any of you have any experience with the local primary schools?

[quote=“Holger Nygaard”] What I have heard is that it has more than its fair share of spoiled brats chauffeured to school. Do you want your kid to have that kind of class-mates?
.[/quote]

I think this is an unfair assumption. There are plenty of rich kid brats in the Taiwan public school system too, so why would TAS be much different??

In fact, I am sure that your child would receive a superior education at TAS which would prepare him or her for the multicultural world.
Having had the opportunity to work on several projects side-by-side with various aged children from TAS (expat kids and kids of Taiwanese background), I’d say that these kids are generally a creative, talented, open-minded and well-educated group.
If you can get the money together, do look into sending your child to that school. The education they’d receive there would serve them well throughout their lives.

ps>I have no affiliation with the school. My opinions were reached through observation alone.

This could apply to MANY suburban high school in the states. There are groups and cliques in all schools.

I can back up Alien’s opinions having lived and worked near TAS for a few years. For even longer, I have had many friends who have sent their kids through TAS. It’s just as I remember school: there are many different kinds of kids and families.

One thing for sure, a child can receive an excellent education there.

There is nothing “American” about TAS (Taipei Asian School). As a real American I would opt for a different school or consider homeschooling. My opinions have nothing to do with cost to attend. You do know, that in some countries, the locals are not allowed to attend the expat schools, which makes for a very happy sanctuary indeed. What disgusts me is when I discover a real Brit, Aussie, Kiwi, or Canadian kid which has been turned away because TAS makes space for local Taiwanese kids with their freshly purchased US passports (or obtained through birth in the US).

I have the perfect t-shirt for TAS.  Have one white kid with a confused look on his face standing in the middle of a bunch of short chinese kids with the caption on the top "Where's Whitie?"  Then on the bottom, "TAS - Taipei Asian School".

apparently we have a new troll…

Yipee, been a while since we have had an real ass wipe on the boards…let the flames begin

And such a nasty new troll he is too - artists impression

Well, the Throll has a point regarding the fact that TAS has a more Taiwanese student body than some of the other international schools.

Yes, of course. But you’re not suggesting that TAS should give admission priority to caucasian foreign nationals over mongoloid US citizens, are you? That seems to be the point that 90630 is making.

Yep

Why?

Mr He
Hey I’m here!!
What do you want :shock:

Good thread lets try and keep on it shall we.

I checked out the European school at one point and found the fees pricey but do-able at a pinch. Here’s a link to the Brit school (part of the European school…oddly enough)

http://www.tbs.tp.edu.tw/03_general.html

Troubles me to think of sending my poor Aussie lad to a place that makes him display a particularly unflattering quarter of his national flag on his breast pocket…

I did like the tone of the correspondence I had with them though.

As for the seppo school, I tend to agree that it (and the Euro school) should be kept for foreign kids. There’s simply not enough options for foreign kids, who after all can’t legally attend a Taiwanese school (before I’m roasted, I acknowledge that there is some scope for discretion in that the head persons can let foreign Johnny join in, but it aint really kosher). While I think the problem ultimately lies in a lack of options I do think priority placement should be given to foreign kids without ROC IDs. I also think the local snob factor has had a big hand in driving up TAS fees to the point of the absurd.

HG