High school options for non-millionaire expats?

omg, i just checked,

Required and Nonrefundable Fees Per Year
Initial Application Fee NT$ 10,000
Application Update Fee (application not accepted previous year) NT$ 5,000
Registration Fee NT$ 25,000
Capital Fee (one-time fee only) NT$ 120,000
Alternative Education Fee (middle school students only) NT$ 7,000
Required Tuition and Fees Per Semester
Tuition
Grades KA~5 NT$ 167,600
Grades 6~12 NT$ 186,000

so…for 1 yr to send a kid to TAS it would cost (not including the one time costs)…
10,000NT
25,000NT
186,000NT
(assuming gr. 6-12) which is where I think the Chinese skule system is severely lacking…

OMG!

$221,000NT thats quite unreasonable for a single year of schooling for a single child. I think the tuition alone will filter how many ppl can send their kids there :s

I heard TAS is good but…YIKEZ…thats just mindboggling…

Or about $16,000+ USD as I posted above. By the way, I have heard that the tuition will be raised to make up for the lagging US dollar.

um…ya but I looked at the $16,000 USD number U mentioned, but $221,000NT is only half of that so thought your numbers seemed too high. Unless when they say per semester they mean sep-jan, jan-jun sessions so for your kid to spend an actual year doing say grade 9 it would cost $442,000NT, a.k.a. omg, almost $16k after transporation and food costs omg!

Er… I’m speechless, thats ridiculous, what expat can afford that? Thats like my yearly after tax income…is this skule for american expatriates or american diplomats?!

:fume:

Such tuition is an unreasonable hardship for expats considering the lack of viable alternatives for reasonable quality education. I don’t expect the skule to change its fees since its a free market but… I’d think twice before having a kid in TW :frowning:

A mate of ours runs a Montessori preschool in Banqiao. That’s where our kids will go (when they arrive), up to the age of 6.

After that, we’ll be looking for a quality Montessori elementary. Any ideas where we might find one? If not, we’ll settle for a good local elementary.

[quote=“webdoctors”]um…ya but I looked at the $16,000 USD number U mentioned, but $221,000NT is only half of that so thought your numbers seemed too high. Unless when they say per semester they mean sep-jan, jan-jun sessions so for your kid to spend an actual year doing say grade 9 it would cost $442,000NT, a.k.a. omg, almost $16k after transporation and food costs omg!

Er… I’m speechless, thats ridiculous, what expat can afford that? Thats like my yearly after tax income…is this skule for American expatriates or American diplomats?!

:fume:

Such tuition is an unreasonable hardship for expats considering the lack of viable alternatives for reasonable quality education. I don’t expect the skule to change its fees since its a free market but… I’d think twice before having a kid in TW :frowning:[/quote]
Yep, that’s outrageous!!

[quote=“Fortigurn”]A mate of ours runs a Montessori preschool in Banqiao. That’s where our kids will go (when they arrive), up to the age of 6.

After that, we’ll be looking for a quality Montessori elementary. Any ideas where we might find one? If not, we’ll settle for a good local elementary.[/quote]

I don’t believe there are any Montessori elementary schools here or I’m sure my friends and I would have found it by now.

However I have heard of some alternative (slightly alternative?) public and private schools. I will start another topic about it as I am hoping I can find people who could share information about some of these schools.

[quote=“braxtonhicks”][quote=“Fortigurn”]A mate of ours runs a Montessori preschool in Banqiao. That’s where our kids will go (when they arrive), up to the age of 6.

After that, we’ll be looking for a quality Montessori elementary. Any ideas where we might find one? If not, we’ll settle for a good local elementary.[/quote]

I don’t believe there are any Montessori elementary schools here or I’m sure my friends and I would have found it by now.[/quote]

I do know there’s a Montessori school about 3 doors down from my wife’s work, but I don’t know if they’re elementary or senior high (they certainly aren’t pre-school). I’ve been surprised at how many Montessori schools there are in Taiwan.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

I learned something new today. I thought there were only a few “true” Montessori schools in Taipei but according to this website schools may call themselves Montessori schools if there are Montessori-certified teachers.

There’s also a directory of international schools. Just choose ‘Taiwan’ and hit ‘Search’ and you’ll get the full listing. I remember doing a search about 4 years ago and only finding two certified schools in Taipei.

Helpful info on this page too about choosing a school, what to look for in a Montessori school

[quote=“braxtonhicks”]I learned something new today. I thought there were only a few “true” Montessori schools in Taipei but according to this website schools may call themselves Montessori schools if there are Montessori-certified teachers.

There’s also a directory of international schools. Just choose ‘Taiwan’ and hit ‘Search’ and you’ll get the full listing. I remember doing a search about 4 years ago and only finding two certified schools in Taipei.

Helpful info on this page too about choosing a school, what to look for in a Montessori school[/quote]

Aha, thanks. I am thinking seriously of becoming Montessori certified, though it’s an expensive business. :astonished:

[quote=“cybertai”]

Don’t be sad.

There’re more and more public English/Chinese elementary schools in Taipei.

Public elementary school like Xinsheng elementary school should be good for your children. And it should be cheap.

http://www.snes.tp.edu.tw/

Application Policy for the Bilingual Education ClassAt Taipei Municipal NanGang District NanGang Elementary School-For Children of foreigners and return scholars working at Academia Sinica,Nankang (Nangang) Software Park, or Neihu Technology Park
http://www.sinica.edu.tw/~hro/IS/Education.pdf

http://www.stes.tp.edu.tw/English/englishindex.html[/quote]

anyone attending such schools or have more information about them?

Tigerman, I’m planning on home schooling <mwwwaaaahahahahaha…and he thinks his Chinese teachers are tough> for a number of reasons. I’ve heard of a number of people who have done it, and have done a bit of research into it (errr, the other part is that he’s gonna have a camera shoved in his hands for “vocational” education)…

Check here:

tas.edu.tw/admissions/tuition.html

We are soon to deal with this headache of a problem. I’m not certain what we will do for our boy when he gets to middle school. But I’m pretty certain we will send him back to my parents to live when he gets to high school so that he can attend the same high school that I did… at least for one, maybe two years… he’ll be kinda like an exchange student… but not exactly.

As for middle school, we are looking at the British School and even Bethany. But these are not much less expensive than TAS. :cry:[/quote]

Creative and tallented are the operative words. I have been teaching kids out here in the boonies (where my kid needs to attend school) and those are two words I almost never use (Taipei is probably different)…the simple fact is that by the end of Jr. High, the kids have had ANY creativity that was left after the grade school beatings completely beaten out of them.

Keeping a child who is NOT required to be there in Taiwanese schools after grade school is something that needs to be SERIOUSLY thought about if creativity and initiative are important to the child…AGAIN, there ARE exceptions, there is a school in Hsinchu whose name is escaping me (not the Bilingual School in Science Park) that is supposed to be trying some incredible things (and I may look at it for Jr. High, but my feeling is that it is still part of a basic system that discourages creativity)…(errrm and the system doesn’t have TIME to encourage creativity, the memorization required for Chinese characters kinda takes up a lot of effort, so no, I’m not bashing…and YES, I wish I had a useful suggestion to send to someone on how to fix the problem)…

[quote=“Alien”][quote=“Holger Nygaard”] What I have heard is that it has more than its fair share of spoiled brats chauffeured to school. Do you want your kid to have that kind of class-mates?
.[/quote]

I think this is an unfair assumption. There are plenty of rich kid brats in the Taiwan public school system too, so why would TAS be much different??

In fact, I am sure that your child would receive a superior education at TAS which would prepare him or her for the multicultural world.
Having had the opportunity to work on several projects side-by-side with various aged children from TAS (expat kids and kids of Taiwanese background), I’d say that these kids are generally a creative, talented, open-minded and well-educated group.
If you can get the money together, do look into sending your child to that school. The education they’d receive there would serve them well throughout their lives.

ps>I have no affiliation with the school. My opinions were reached through observation alone.[/quote]

[quote=“chessman71”]So I’m confused now. I just heard that if you’re a male foreigner married to a Taiwanese women, then your kids can’t attend the public schools. Is that correct? Does the father have to be Taiwanese in order for the kids to go to school?

Tigerman’s experience seems to suggest otherwise. Did I get some wrong info?[/quote]

Yes they can attend. It is up to the discretion of the school. The school isn’t required to accept them (err, at least that’s what 2 of the 4 schools around here claimed, all 4 had different stories)…

No, let them learn early.

I sent my son to a Japanese kindergarten in Taichung for 3 years. He enjoyed it but a few of the Jap parents were upset that they let a foreigner into the class with their kids. lol… As if their kids were any less foriegn…

The owner of the school whose mother Japanese but father was ROC grew up in Japan taking a lot of stick for bein a half breed.

He told the parents to take their kids out if they didnt like it.

[quote=“acearle”][quote=“chessman71”]So I’m confused now. I just heard that if you’re a male foreigner married to a Taiwanese women, then your kids can’t attend the public schools. Is that correct? Does the father have to be Taiwanese in order for the kids to go to school?

Tigerman’s experience seems to suggest otherwise. Did I get some wrong info?[/quote]

Yes they can attend. It is up to the discretion of the school. The school isn’t required to accept them (err, at least that’s what 2 of the 4 schools around here claimed, all 4 had different stories)…[/quote]

If they refuse to accept them contact the MOE… they’ll tell them to accept them. It’s illegal for kids not to be in school in Taiwan regardless of the parents nationality… in any case the kids are ROC nationals if the mother is an ROC national. So the school has no right to refuse.

Lodge a complaint with the MOE… If the mothers household registration is in that schools district the school must take in the kids.

My son has an ARC only yet went to local schools in Taiwan.

My son is also attending a local public school. Getting him enrolled was easy, and they even put him into a class where the teacher speaks (is able to speak) a good deal of English. I feel they have done a lot to make him feel welcome. He’s in grade 1, though, and we’re likely going home at the end of this school year.

I just met a mother who is doing that here for her kids. The father posts here. You might want to contact her. I’ll see if I can find the poster and PM you the same.

Peace.

I just met a mother who is doing that here for her kids. The father posts here. You might want to contact her. I’ll see if I can find the poster and PM you the same.

Peace.[/quote]

The problem with home schooling is you have to make sure that home schooled kids get enough social interaction with their peers.

I agree. Before my wife jumped into business, she seriously considered home schooling our boy. My only objection was the lack of socialization.

Peace.[/quote]

The problem with home schooling is you have to make sure that home schooled kids get enough social interaction with their peers.[/quote]

I completely agree, and fortunately we own a bushiban and he has a number of friends who are students and ex-students (da lazy bums)(err, good kids, tho)…so we are REALLY lucky on this point…