High Speed Train Discount Tickets

Hello,

I have to travel biweekly or more from Kaoshiung to Taichung every weekend for a year. Ive been looking at the THSR which mentions a periodic or multiride ticket.

Has anyone used it before and exactly how does it work/order one? I have been reading the website but still confused on the process!

Thanks!

By far (for me) the easiest way to buy HSR tickets is through the T Express app on my phone. As far as I know, it’s the only way to buy online.

The app also accepts ApplePay, which is super nice. Once payment is made the ticket is downloaded as a QR code that you can scan to enter the gate.

One thing to keep in mind is that the app will list a number of discounted tickets (which is great), but unless you absolutely know that you’ll show up on time I wouldn’t recommend buying one. If you have a discounted ticket and you’re late (so you plan to board on one of cars 9-12), the QR won’t scan. You’ll have to take your phone to the ticket window to buy a new ticket, meaning you’ll have to pay the difference in price. The whole process will take you about 5 minutes if there’s no line. Not something you want to go through if you’re already running late imo. In my experience it’s always a good idea to buy a full price ticket, because that ticket will scan even if you’ve missed your train.

2 Likes

I was in a similar situation 2 years back when I had to make the journey to Hsinchu on the weekdays and back to Taipei on the weekends; Yes, there is a periodic/multi-ride ticket and you do get some discount, albeit not much but the added convenience of avoiding the queue is what is really worth.

Check this page out.

https://www.thsrc.com.tw/en/Article/ArticleContent/0ea74145-22a4-4aa6-b997-d51b994acfbb

Saving you some additional time (From the website)

PURCHASE
A Multi-Ride Ticket can be purchased at any THSR station ticket window and may only be used by the registered cardholder. A one-time nonrefundable card issuance fee of NT$100 must be paid upon initial purchase of a Multi-Ride Ticket. The purchase process is as follows:

• Fill out the card application form, available at passenger service counter, or download and fill out the application form from the THSRC website and submit it to any THSR station ticket window.
  • One may approach the THSR stations him/herself, or authorize someone to purchase the Multi-Ride Ticket on his/her behalf. A valid identification document (with photo) and one 2-inch colored photo which was taken within six months of the intended cardholder is required for verification and card issuing purposes. If a photo cannot be provided, the intended cardholder must present himself/herself at the station and the THSRC staff will take a photo on spot (at no extra charge and no airbrushing, photo prints, file or re-make will be provided).
  • A Multi-Ride Ticket may be collected on spot after paying the Multi-Ride Ticket fare and a one-time nonrefundable card issuance fee of NT$100. Please fill in the registered cardholder’s name at the proper space if it cannot be printed on the card.
1 Like

One thing that you could do is use your credit card points to upgrade to business class . For years I used my MasterCard to do this … never knew how many points I had on it … still don’t . They recently stopped accepting Taichung bank cards for that but I’m sure it’s worth checking other bank cards . I had to travel twice today in economy … frightful experience :smirk:they always ask if I am a “ member” when buying a ticket … maybe there is a discount scheme ? I know there is a corporate scheme .

3 Likes

Thanks! Did you find this option better than taking the train or bus? I am comparing all the pros and cons to this as getting to the thsr station is also an added travel cost.

Well, The train station/ THSR station are all integrated together. There is no such separate station for the Train or the MRT (I am talking about Taipei), and The high speed is a much more faster way of traveling, but comes at a premium.

If money is a priority, you’re better of thinking about the Train/Bus (Would taken 3-4 hours I guess), But if it is time - THSR.

1 Like

You need to look at what area of Taichung you are going to, the HSR station is a bit out of town. I have made this trip a few time to visit the brother in law, and if its in the wrong part of town it can easily add 40mins (if not more depending on traffic) on the journey as there is no MRT yet. I have also taken the regular train and bus, the bus was the most convenient as it dropped me off closest to my destination/home and i just slept. the cost of the bus was even cheaper than the petrol to drive myself around 300nt i think.