High stroke prevalence

Sorry if the questions seems silly, but it seems to me that the number of strokes happening to people here -from mild to severe- seems higher than average -at least higher than home, which is not teh parangon of healthy conditions.

Ther is not a week that goes by without one or two people around me -neighbors (OK, most are elderly), coworkers (not so old, actually :astonished: ) or relatives of such coming down with one.

Is there a link, like diet or genetics? Back home, there is prevalence of diabetes both because of diet and genetics. But so many seemingly OKish people just dropping like flies with brain strokes of diverse intensity is unsettling.

How about us expats living here long term? What if it is environmental? Can we do something to prevent becoming an statistic too?

Stress from ridiculously long work hours coupled with bad diet causing high blood pressure? Stroke being the end result.

Yep, that seems reasonable in most cases. Still, I am not satisfied. Did you hear about the guy who starined while doing number two and puff! stroke? Or the woman being massaged on the head and shoulders and puff! stroke. How about people who are not working? How about reasobably atheltic people? Something is weakening the veins severily. Usually, in the West weā€™d say high blood pressure, being overweight, natural tendency due to genetics.

Different strokes for different folks.

spent shopping on Yahoo, sleeping at the desk, and playing Minesweeper?? :noway:

No way, man, the local diet (especially for the auldsters) is still WAY lower in sodium and higher in fiber than in the West, PLUS with the massive amounts of fruit and leafy vegetables, itā€™s vastly superior.

Personally, I chalk it up to goldbricking.

Both diet and genetics play a role.

Despite being an island, Taiwanese eat as much meat as Americans do, and only half the amount of fish compared to Koreans and Japanese. So the diets arenā€™t as different as weā€™d perhaps think theyā€™d be. Iā€™d expect similar numbers of people with coronary diseases here as in the US. There arenā€™t that many overweight or obese here, but you donā€™t have to be overweight to get your coronary arteries clogged up.

This is what I have observed- work related. Salty food and alcohol seems to aggravate the high blood pressure. Almost all the middle-aged businessmen have high blood pressure, youā€™ll see them popping there pills everyday. The high tech industry kills you if you work in it too long.

Could also be genetics.

Unfortunately, meat consumption is increasing fast worldwide. And Taiwan is no exception: etaiwannews.com/etn/news_con ā€¦ ws_Society

To quote from that news report: ā€œMeat consumption in Taiwan averages 77.1 kilograms per capita per year, which is higher than in China, Japan and South Korea and slightly lower than in the United States and Germany, the Taiwan Institute for Sustainable Energy (TISE) reported yesterday.ā€

While meat consumption may not be the only culprit for strokes, there seems to be a strong correlation. Itā€™s certainly one of many reasons for me to eat vegan.

Hereā€™s the stats for those into numbers. Also note the low amount of vegetables consumed in Taiwan.

So few potatoes.

Donā€™t take no rhythm, donā€™t take no style.

[quote=ā€œelburroā€]Hereā€™s the stats for those into numbers. Also note the low amount of vegetables consumed in Taiwan.
[/quote]
I like Germanyā€™s numbers the best. Iā€™m not that big on seafood and I like milk. I wish they had the U.K. in there.

Iā€™ve been watching what locals eat for the last 16 years, and I have to say, thereā€™s WAY too much lard and fatty meat, too much fried crap, too much cream (in cakes and fancy coffees), too much cheese (in all the ju2kao3 au gratin crap and greasy, cheese-laden pizzas and cheesecakes), way too much nitrates in all the UBIQUITOUS and (frankly, dodgy) sausage products, and even what pass for pizzas from places like La SLUT are loaded with bacon and sausage and cheese, stuffed into every CONCEIVABLE and unnatural part of the pizza. WTF? They may eat a lot of fruit here, but there are too many meals with inadeqate green veggies, and far, far too much fried fast food junk.

Sure, thereā€™s seafood here, but when itā€™s all deep fried, how healthy could that be? Taiwanese food is diverse, and there is certainly healthy food to be had, if you use your brain, but how many people really do?

Thereā€™s a REASON some of us yearn for a bigger kitchen ā€“ so we can more conveniently make healthier food for ourselves and our loved ones.

Agreed with a lot you say, but you donā€™t really need a big kitchen in order to make healthy food. You just need the right ingredients and stay away from the wrong ones.

[quote=ā€œelburroā€]Hereā€™s the stats for those into numbers. Also note the low amount of vegetables consumed in Taiwan.
[/quote]

Wow! Thanks for the chart.

For those of you who havenā€™t already added up the weights, Germany edged out America for first place, and Taiwan is in the cellar just above Japan. So, Taiwan gets relegated.

Grmny 894 Kgs.
USofA 861
China 747
Korea 707
Japan 523
R.O.C 512

I dare not draw any conclusions about how good the food is in various countries, or how much people from those countries love to eat, but at least Iā€™ve got some stats ready for the next time some local tells me how much people in Taiwan love to eat.

[quote=ā€œGC Riderā€][quote]
Thereā€™s a REASON some of us yearn for a bigger kitchen ā€“ so we can more conveniently make healthier food for ourselves and our loved ones.
[/quote]
Agreed with a lot you say, but you donā€™t really need a big kitchen in order to make healthy food. You just need the right ingredients and stay away from the wrong ones.[/quote]

Youā€™re right of course, but this is related to the kitchen rants thread ā€“ perhaps I should have bolded the ā€˜more convenientlyā€™ bit.

894 kg per year isā€¦ 2.45 kg a day? Total food intake on average?

Iā€™m going to go ahead and file a Preliminary Opposition to this chart based on Shenanigans, with post hoc arguments related to No Fucking Way.

Chaon Challenges the Chart!

News at nine!

308 kgs of dairy per year is less than I ā€œeatā€ for sure. Thatā€™s not even ( :ponder: does the math in his head) 0.844 liter of milk a day.

Maybe they have, like, compulsory hot-dog-eating contests over there every few days?

Maybe if they are counting beer as ā€œgrainsā€ and coffee as ā€œvegetablesā€. But that is pure shenaniganosity.