Hike: Dec 10: Yangmingshan's Seven Star Mountain

yes, i am interested in the hike time becasue i have plans at 18:30. hm, this is an all stair hike I need to think about it…

We’ll probably start the hike around 9am. As Limey says, it is around 4 hours. In a group, with lunch, expect 5 hours. In the afternoon it can take forever to get off Yangmingshan. Don’t expect to be back at the MRT before 3pm.

If we can get weather like today, wow!!!

I still say that what I want for Christmas is a drag-n-drop calendar. I’d drag Friday weather over and drop it on Saturday.

Keep your fingers crossed! :smiley:

nice days like this aren’t good for hiking, they are good for doing laundry. I hope it rains tomorrow!

Hex on you! Take it back, now, hurry!!

I’ll be there 8:00am.

Any tips on how to get there?

Up number 1 or number 3 highway. Turn off etc to get to the Shilin MRT station?

You guys can save yourselves a lot of time and grief by taking one of those mimi buses back down to beitou or tienmu. Either that or by taking the Tienmu trail down to tienmu around nightfall and taking in the monkeys while you are at it!

How do these monkeys compare with the Indonesian ones you saw?

How do these monkeys compare with the Indonesian ones you saw?[/quote]
He now has only one veg, what do YOU think?

Is this like the beans and frank in the zipper scene from Something about Mary?

Did the Indonesian monkey steal a bean?

Do I know what we are talking about?

Okay, who is actually going?

Mr He
Me
My wife
Chris
Kitty
Seeker4
???

Richard is worried about having too big a group so if we have more than 8 on our team pretend you don’t know me. :slight_smile:

s4, if you want to scooter, meet us at the Xiao You Keng Visitor Center. No, I don’t know where that is. We should be there around 9am but possibly later if there is a big group and we need to take two buses.

OK, count me in.

You guys can save yourselves a lot of time and grief by taking one of those mimi buses back down to Beitou or Tianmu. Either that or by taking the Tianmu trail down to Tianmu around nightfall and taking in the monkeys while you are at it![/quote]
Hey bob, aren’t we still waiting for a description from you about where exactly to find the monkeys? I think so. More details please. We may not use it this time, but it would be nice to know.

I’ll be there 8:00am.

Any tips on how to get there?

Up number 1 or number 3 highway. Turn off etc to get to the Shilin MRT station?[/quote]
First point. [color=red]Original info was wrong[/color]. The meeting place is not Shilin MRT Station. It is Jiantan MRT Station which is one station south of the Shilin station.

As for ways to get there, I can think of two main options:

1. MRT: Drive to the nearest MRT station to you (southern one - Xindian, etc), park there, and take the MRT to the Jiantan station (on the red line, same as Xindian line, no train changes needed, about 30 minute ride).

2. Drive:

A. Parking: How to get there isn’t hard. What’s hard is where to park (for free). You might get lucky and see a place if you stay on the west side of the station or drive down Jiantan Rd. headed west into that neighborhood. Otherwise, on the west side of Jiantan MRT Station there is a large underground parking lot. Not to confuse you, but it is under the Shilin Night Market building. Yeah, the night market right next to the Jiantan MRT Station is called Shilin. :astonished: In any case, my sources think that parking garage is 24-hour. Prices, uncertain. Entrance to it is off Cheng De Rd., just barely north of Jiantan Rd. (which runs under the MRT station). The garage is on the northeast corner of Cheng De Rd. and Jiantan Rd.

B. Directions: This is going to sound convoluted, but I didn’t build the roads.

From Freeway 1 (headed north from below Taipei) …

• Come north until you reach the Taipei area.

• Look for the exit for ChongQing N. Rd. (or Chungking or some similar spelling courtesy of some damn pinyin system or another). Make sure that you take that exit (two choices) in the direction of Shilin/Beitou. Headed north.

• Head north on ChongQing N. Rd for a kilometer or more. You’re looking for a right turn onto Zhong Zheng Rd (or Chung Cheng Rd). Careful: Don’t go left on Zhong Zheng Rd. or you’ll end up in the beautiful suburb of San Chong and lost for a while on busy narrow streets under construction (sorry, not my favorite place).

• After turning right onto Zhong Zheng Rd., take it over a bridge to a nearly immediate right turn onto Cheng De Rd, headed south again. Cheng De Rd. should be the second major intersection (large Lions Club International monument at the large intersection).

• On Cheng De Rd., go south for about a kilometer again (yeah, nearly back to the freeway). Slow down before you get to Jiantan Rd. (red light). If using the parking garage, turn left into it just before the light. If you park in the garage, you can spit on the MRT station from there, so no more directions needed. If attempting to park in the neighborhood, instead turn right (west) onto Jiantan Rd (from Cheng De Rd). Park somewhere along there and walk back out Jiantan Rd (east), past Cheng De Rd., to find the MRT station.

OK, that should just about do it.

Last note: I didn’t see anyone specify which MRT exit was the exit for the meeting. My guess is Exit 1 (north end of the station). It’s the main exit and it’s located near the bus stops (on the west side of the station).

Or he can just take the #3 and get off in Xindian and park under the Xindian MRT station. I would think that is easiest.

Edit: Oh, you said that. Option 1.

Yeah, I’m in … unless it looks like London or Seattle (or Taipei in the winter) outside tomorrow. :wink:

Bus or scooter. Don’t know. However the spirit moves me in the morning. I’ll either see you at Jiantan MRT Station or up at the visitor’s center. Somebody please turn your phone on tomorrow in case we need to link up.

[quote=“seeker4”]Yeah, I’m in … unless it looks like London or Seattle (or Taipei in the winter) outside tomorrow. :wink:

Bus or scooter. Don’t know. However the spirit moves me in the morning. I’ll either see you at Jiantan MRT Station or up at the visitor’s center. Somebody please turn your phone on tomorrow in case we need to link up.[/quote]

I’ll ask Chris to turn my phone on. :slight_smile:

BTW grandpa Chris, are you and Kitty coming tomorrow?

Oh OK but I gotta tell you guys these monkeys are NOTHING like the monkeys in Indonesia. The monkeys in Indonesia are gentle and seductive but these brutes in Taiwan, well, I wouldn’t try to get too intimate if I were you. Anyway if you decide to brave it the way to find them from Yangmingshan would be to take the road from the bus loop (final stop for the 260 bus) and basically just walk downhill on the main road from there towards tienmu (NOT the same road as the 260 takes to Taipei!). You’ll pass by the park and the little pond beside the indoor hotspring (both will be on your left). Continue on walking another five or ten minutes and you’ll see a restaurant, again on your left. Beside that is the tienmu trail. Keep on that trail (it does a little detour onto a side road for about fifty meters) until you see the sign that has a picture of a monkey on it. Keep going and you will eventually come to another sign with a picture of a monkey on it. Turn around and walk back to the first sign with the picture of the monkey on it. Turn around and walk back again. Continue with this till you see the monkeys. This section is nice and flat and affords lovely vistas over the Taipei basin. The monkeys usually head downhill closer to the second sign but I’ve seen them at both ends. You will want to get on that part of the trail about an hour before it gets pitch black to see them. No worrries. The stairs are white and there are lights so walking down is a breeze. At the bottom of the trail you’ll be on Zhongshan north road so just keep walking till you get to the loop for the 220 bus which will run you back into town.The monkeys head uphill at dawn and downhill at dusk so you could get up there before sunrise and see them too but I would be the last person to ask about that. :noway:

Oh OK but I gotta tell you guys these monkeys are NOTHING like the monkeys in Indonesia. The monkeys in Indonesia are gentle and seductive but these brutes in Taiwan, well, I wouldn’t try to get too intimate if I were you.[/quote]
Great, bob, thanks. Can you add a little info about how to approach from the other side, from Beitou or Tienmu?

[quote=“Muzha Man”]Okay, who is actually going?

Mr He
Me
My wife
Chris
Kitty
Seeker4
[/quote]

I’m in. Thanks for the directions.

Also, Bob. Great job on the monkey stuff. I printed that as well.

[/quote] Great, bob, thanks. Can you add a little info about how to approach from the other side, from Beitou or Tianmu?[/quote]

No problemo.

The very tip of Zhongshan North Road where the trail starts IS also the very edge of Tienmu basically. All you gotta do is walk up the hill from there till you see the sign with the monkey on it. The 220 bus will take you to the Zhongshan north bus loop which is about half a kilometer from the start of the trail. From the bus loop just head uphill. I usually catch the 220 on Zhongshan North road section one or two (close to the minchuan MRT station).

I always walk up to Yangminshan from Beitou and then take the Tianmu trail down to Tianmu, but the Beitou - Yangminshan bit is just for exercise. The monkeys are in Tianmu actually, not Beitou.