Hike June 25: the first wet and wild event of the summer

That’s got some pretty good parts further up. A pretty hairy “reach around” round a big knob that puts you out on about 30 feet of exposure with your centre of gravity waay too far out for comfort. Fun. But you have to go early enough so you don’t get stuck with the “entrance fee,” which I refuse to pay on principle. Pay to get into Wulai and pay AGAIN to get “into” the river? Not bloody likely![/quote]

You don’t pay to get into Wulai anymore only Neidong.[/quote]
Really? I haven’t been up there this year yet. You mean they no longer take money off you after you cross the bridge outside Wulai to go up the hill past the cable car station?[/quote]

That’s right. They closed the toll to help with traffic.

Again, I’ll have to bow (or limp) out because of my knee injury. And I’ve been so looking forward to river tracing…

That’s got some pretty good parts further up. A pretty hairy “reach around” round a big knob that puts you out on about 30 feet of exposure with your centre of gravity waay too far out for comfort. Fun. But you have to go early enough so you don’t get stuck with the “entrance fee,” which I refuse to pay on principle. Pay to get into Wulai and pay AGAIN to get “into” the river? Not bloody likely![/quote]

You don’t pay to get into Wulai anymore only Neidong.[/quote]
Really? I haven’t been up there this year yet. You mean they no longer take money off you after you cross the bridge outside Wulai to go up the hill past the cable car station?[/quote]

That’s right. They closed the toll to help with traffic.[/quote]
Well, that IS good news! I’ll need to make a trip up there soon. That was our very first river tracing destination, too many years ago to remember. It would be good (or maybe not) to see how it’s changed over the years. We never did get all the way up over the watershed. Have you been up that far?

Hi !

I just come back from Korea. Oh! A country full of crazy red-shirt football fan!

I’m quite interested to do the NeiDongXi at Wulai. But till not so sure if I’m free Saturday. Sunday will be OK anyway.

How about start early and hike the logging road to NeiDong so that we don’t need even pay the entry fee for the park? Anyone interested to do overnight camping beside NeiDongXi(end of loging road)?

So shall we officially announce this as Saturday’s hike, and start a new thread for it entitled something like “River-tracing at Wawagu on July 1st”? Then I can post details of meeting time and place, etc.

Who is interested in joining us? Ironman and Karen? Ratorgans? Oirish? Tash?

I can’t make it this Sunday, and Sunday’s not so good anyway because far more people flock up to Wulai on Sundays than on Saturdays, causing horrible traffic jams on the Xinwu Road and around Wulai township. The only good time to go to Wulai on a Sunday is at or before 6 am, as I always used to do, but I know that our merry band of hikers are not up to rising so early, so I wouldn’t even think of suggesting it.

I’d love to do that, but I won’t have time to go on Friday. However, anyone who wanted to do that could easily meet up with the rest of us at Wawagu on Saturday.

Yes, start a new thread. I am in for the river trace. It will be too hot for a long hike along the logging road I think. Love to go camping but not this weekend.

I don’t know about Sunday being so bad. We did a number of swimming hikes to Wulai last year on Sundays and the traffic was not bad around 10 when we usually were on the road. It is much better since they took down the tolls. Also, I believe more people will be heading to Ilan this summer, easing the congestion in Wulai.

Glad to hear you are back in Taiwan trailhacker.