Hike - Mar 11: Cherry Tree Valley Shenkeng

Richard Saunders has an interesting hike coming up this Saturday. Yangmingshan but on natural dirt paths:

[quote]Hi everyone,
The forecast for Saturday looks OK at the
moment, so we’re going to try and organise a trip to
Fu Shih Old Trail, which lies in the east of the
National Park. At the top of the old trail (about 90
minutes’ walk) is a large grassy meadow like Buffalo
Meadow, but without the crowds. From there, we climb
Mt. Dajian (“Big Sharp Mountain”), then loop back to
the start of the trail by another path.
This walk is moderately strenuous. It’s along
narrow dirt trails that aren’t that hard or steep, but
it’s quite long, so we’ll probably need five or six
hours for the walk, plus a couple to get out there and
back. It’ll probably be about 5pm before we get back
to Taipei.[/quote]

We need cars to do this hike so if you guys are interested please pipe in. These days Ironman and the Rats have vehicles.

Anyway, two cars should be enough. So, IM and Rats, are you interested in going and would you be willing to take others?

arrgghh… out this saturday thanks to work.

fyi - i have a car for future needs.

mm - will i see you saturday or shall i meet you later so you can take delivery?

[quote=“Muzha Man”]Richard Saunders has an interesting hike coming up this Saturday. Yangmingshan but on natural dirt paths:

[quote]Hi everyone,
to Taipei.[/quote]

We need cars to do this hike so if you guys are interested please pipe in. These days Ironman and the Rats have vehicles.

Anyway, two cars should be enough. So, IM and Rats, are you interested in going and would you be willing to take others?[/quote]

Hmm, I will have to contact the brain. So does that mean, no river tracing, mine crawling hike this weekend? We are busy on Sunday anyways.

[quote=“ratlung”][quote=“Muzha Man”]Richard Saunders has an interesting hike coming up this Saturday. Yangmingshan but on natural dirt paths:

[quote]Hi everyone,
to Taipei.[/quote]

Anyway, two cars should be enough. So, IM and Rats, are you interested in going and would you be willing to take others?[/quote]

Hmm, I will have to contact the brain. So does that mean, no river tracing, mine crawling hike this weekend? We are busy on Sunday anyways.[/quote]

Just got a message back from the brain. It sounds like a too extensive hike for the weak brain physiology. We also have some other activities this weekend, so it might be good to take Saturday off. I wish you guys a wonderful hike, may it be as rejuvenating as the last one.

So it doesn’t look like there’s much in the way of wheels available.

BTW, since the response to the Yangmingshan hike was so - ahem - tepid guess we can forget about that.

I’m not going to plan anything else as I have some writing due early next week and need the weekend to do it. The river tracing and weather station hike out near shifen can wait. There’s no point doing it if the weather is not clear as the view is one of the attractions of the hike.

I may do a short local hike on Sunday. I will post Saturday night if I do for anyone who wants to little exericse.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]BTW, since the response to the Yangmingshan hike was so - ahem - tepid guess we can forget about that.

I’m not going to plan anything else as I have some writing due early next week and need the weekend to do it. The river tracing and weather station hike out near shifen can wait. There’s no point doing it if the weather is not clear as the view is one of the attractions of the hike.

I may do a short local hike on Sunday. I will post Saturday night if I do for anyone who wants to little exericse.[/quote]
I’d be interested in jopining you on your short hike.

Chris: Superb silhouette shot at the waterfall, especially considering the subject :wink:

All: Can’t believe it. I must have pissed off the Hiking Gods or something. This is the first weekend that both 1) nice weather is forecast for Saturday, and 2) the SO and I looked at each other and said, “Hey, let’s go hiking tomorrow, it would be nice!” And so of course, no hike. Yeah, yeah, Richard Saunders, blah, blah, blah. Still, not our hike.

Grrrrr. Grrrrrrrrr …

P.S.

I don’t think I can stand it. So, I’m going to plan a Saturday bike outing. Right, biking, not hiking.

Check this thread in the Events forum for more info:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=46286

Join if you want to, it should be fun (nice route).

Seeker4

Trust me, you should feel happy you did not join the little exploratory hike today. I knew this wouldn’t be for everyone so I invited just a select few who turned out to be me and Omni. Destination: the cherry tree valley in Shenkeng.

I had tried to find this valley last year but did not succeed as I did not have river tracing boots and the trail is, according to Taipei Day Trips, a walk up a river. Well, this year I was prepared with my NT500 Canadian kayaking shoes. Omni had his felt-soled Taiwanese walkers (which as fate would have it turned out to be the superior boot).

Now a river tracing expedition requires only only thing to complete it: a river. Sadly, this hike ran out of river in the first hundred metres. Omni then found a wall and we climbed it and found a strangled looking trail heading in the right direction. After 10 minutes or so we arrived at another stream (or maybe it was the first one, who knows, as that went underground). We crossed it and promptly lost the trail. Now, instead of heading back we decided, on my bad advice, to head up the slopes. My map showed that the road should be just at the top on the ridge.

Up we went. At first there was something that might generously be described as trampled underbrush. But it served out purposes. Then the trample straightened itself and became high, proud, solid brush. Thorn bushes appeared everywhere to block the trail. Omni speculated that someone had planted these to prevent us discovering their betelnut plantation. But I think god was just trying to piss us off.

Up and and up we went, at times strangled by vines and grasses. Good thing it’s still winter and the snakes haven’t woken up yet, we comforted ourselves with on this 28 degree day.

We made it to the top of the ridge in about 20 minutes. there was no road. Just a thin wooded ridge heading south. It was too late to go back so we headed along it. The going wasn’t too hard and at one point we started to hear voices in the distance. Sirens? Ghosts?

Another 10 minutes past and we hit a trail. We followed it east still hoping to meet up with a road. After a few minutes the path seemed to peter out. I suggested we continue even though the trail was not so distinct. It was the right call this time and we spotted the road a few minutes later.

As we climbed up onto the cement track we saw a large wooden map and sighposts. Do not go this way, it said of the way we had just come (just kidding). Instead, it pointed the way to several small mountains. The cherry tree valley was on the map but the map was one of those backward, impossible to read or get your bearings, or find your way, Taiwanese maps.

Directly ahead of us was a nice log staircase.
We decided the cherry tree valley was not ours to discover and headed up the log trail (which was very excellent considering we were in Taipei “We Love to pave Paradise” County). The sign said 5 minutes to the top of a mountain. Fifteen minutes later we hit a clearing. We lunched and then decided to head back.

Despite the mishaps we arrived back in Muzha at exactly 3pm, the original scheduled return time. Seeker4 would have been proud.

All in all it was a good adventure. I tip my hat to Omni who was a good sport throughout it all.

Oh, we did spot two cherry trees off in the distance at one point. Next year, I thought. Next year.

all i have to say is thanks for not inviting me :smiley:

i hope you guys had a good adventure! I am not sure if this will be do-able or not, but what about a trip to alisan to see the flowers? i would really like to go, hiking or not.

The hike wasn’t quite what we’d expected, but it still made for a good day out. It was satisfying that we managed to cross such difficult terrain and end up where we did, despite missing out on the cherry grove.

I’ve taken home a good assortment of souvenir cuts and scratches, as well as a painful lump on one leg with a tiny puncture mark in the middle, which makes me wonder if I was bitten by something or spiked by a poisonous thorn.

It’s good to do something rough and challenging like that once in a while, even if it’s not as purely enjoyable as an orthodox river trace or trail tramp.

Hope you had a compass.

Nice job … especially on the timing! :wink:

The always-well-equipped MM did indeed have a compass, and it helped us a lot.

How was the bicycle outing?

I’m sure Omni will agree that the high rocky cliffs we saw from our (dis)avantage point cried out to be hiked. I was right that they are part of the ridge walk from Shiding to Muzha. I was reading all about the hike yesterday. We have to do this is the coming weeks. Five to six hours on an all natural trail that at times hugs the edges of the cliffs. Fantastic views over mountains and city.

This is the Bijia Mountain route. Many of us have seen the area covered in the hike from the top of Ergeshan.

How is the leg doing? Getting better I hope.

[quote=“ratbrain”]all I have to say is thanks for not inviting me :smiley:

I hope you guys had a good adventure! I am not sure if this will be do-able or not, but what about a trip to alisan to see the flowers? I would really like to go, hiking or not.[/quote]

It will be very crowded at Alishan this time of year and as I was just there in January I am not interested in goign again so soon.

Personally, I don’t think the cherry blossom trees are that spectacular in Taiwan. Too thin. We had a magnificent one with light pink blossoms in our backyard when I was growing up, and I have never seen anything close to it’s size and fullness here.

I much prefer the You-tong festival in April. The you-tong trees are large, and bursting with snow-white petals. In some areas it looks like the mountains are covered with snow when the trees bloom.

Last year unfortunately there were days of heavy rains after the trees bloomed and all the petals fell off before they could be admired. Here’s hoping this year will be better. We can all head down to Sanyi for the day and walk along the abandoned tracks and enjoy the scenery.

Yes, they did look enticing.

I agree about the youtong blossoms being prettier than the cherry blossoms. When the blossoms start falling, they create a beautiful carpet of white around the trees.

And the leg’s fine already, thanks. The swelling’s gone down, and now it’s just a bit tender.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]
How was the bicycle outing?[/quote]
Good. Updated that thread. You can take a look:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 559#513559

okay, thanks for the tips MM and Omni.