Hiking: 12 Nov - Daxi

OK, who’s organizing a hike for this weekend?

I’ll be out of town this weekend and MuchaMan will be recovering from his three-day Snow Mountain hike, so somone else will have to organize it.

I can’t do this weekend, but I can lead a hike near my place in Guan in shan (Ba li) if you like.

There is a main “granny” path which is always busy, and not interesting, but along the side of the mountain are many paths. We would do a route called ?? (Deng Shan) which is always quiet and not paved. It can be tough (a little section involves pulling yourself up on a rope) or easy - depending on how the group feels that day. The top will be crowded and noisy. There will be food a drink available. The round trip should take no more than two/three hours if we take it at last Sunday’s pace.

The problem would be transport. The nearest MRT is Guan du ?? but we can park at the trail head. It is about a fifteen minute drive from the MRT.

It is a fairly short walk, but if the weather is clear you can see across to Yang ming shan and all the way down to the city. We could go into Bali city for lunch or head home, depending on the weather.

Let me knowe what you think.

L.

[quote=“Limey”]I can’t do this weekend, but I can lead a hike near my place in Guan in shan (Ba li) if you like.
[/quote]

We went up there before, but only on the granny trail. It is a spectacular view from the top down to Bali/Danshuei, unfortunately the time we went, there were clouds passing by. Not sure if we will be available this weekend though.

The guanyinshan hike sounds like a good idea.

When and where do we meet - I will be driving a car.

did you say rope climbing?

I found a nice hike with lots of rope climbing today.

Yes, only a very short (30 meter or so) length. Nothing to worry about! I’ve done it twice.

30 meters! 30 meters! THIRTY METERS!

Yes, only a very short (30 meter or so) length. Nothing to worry about! I’ve done it twice.[/quote]
Limey, maybe you should define “rope climb”.

Yes, only a very short (30 meter or so) length. Nothing to worry about! I’ve done it twice.[/quote]
Limey, maybe you should define “rope climb”.[/quote]

Yeah, it’s probaly more like, how can I say… “rope-assisted uphill walking”.

For those who are into a veyr alternative low altitude hike, I have a good one, just went on it yesterday.

Great views from the top, and depending on the route, an easy afternoon hike or a tough slug up vertical trails, hanging of ropes and the like. it can be short or long, it all depends on you.

Maybe an idea for a future hike? It’s in Daxi, which is on the worng side of Sanxia, however we can meet at a landmark, such as at the CKS grave or something. Just for future reference.

i’m not afraid of climbing some stupid rope. bring it on!

OK, who are up for a saturday hike?

I am willing to organize one. It will be in the hills behind Daxi, and will involve a bit of everything, actually the feel of first mountain is like a real 1,800-200 meter tall mountain, just smaller.

Then we do some flatter action over to another mountain or two, after which we return to the original trailhead. A mix of a circle route with some backtracking thrown in for good measure.

I have only done parts of the hike, but know the area quite well.

The hike will be moderately strenious - ropes, narrow trails, a few slippery rocks, and quite a bit of very nice scenery. Most people should be able to slug their way thru it, however you would require a bit of hiking experience. Will be harder than the Wulai hike. We are looking at 4-5 hours or so.

It sounds like a great hike, Mr. He, and I’d love to catch the tail of the autumn tiger and do it while the weather’s still so good. But I won’t be able to make it for a hike that’s any distance away this weekend, as I can only afford to spend a few hours out at play – including a splash or few in the water while it’s still so perfect for swimming. I hope there’ll be enough people interested in your proposal to get it going, though I’ll have to count myself out.

Meeting time and place for the hike? Kitty’s interested in joining, but I won’t be able to go.

[quote=“Mr He”]OK, who are up for a saturday hike?

I am willing to organize one. It will be in the hills behind Daxi, and will involve a bit of everything, actually the feel of first mountain is like a real 1,800-200 meter tall mountain, just smaller.[/quote]

I’m in for sure and my SO will be most likely up for a hike.

We are all down near the trailhead, so I hope that you are able to arrange a bit of transport.

For people in cars, then the meeting place is the Second northern freeway Daxi interchange at 9:30. As you leave the freeway hold to the left toward Daxi - I will be parked at the side of the road at the first clear spot. If you go by car, then pm me, and I will respond with my cell phone no.

People without cars can catch train no 2141 from Taipei Train station. It leaves at 7:50, and will arrive in Puhsin (埔心) at 8:48. I can pick up 3 persons in front of the station. The ticket price is NT$66. I would like to know how many people I am supposed to carry in advance.

I will most likely try to throw you on a bus when you head back to Taipei.

After the hike, we can arrange dinner somewhere in the area, there are a few possibilities there, such as hakka cousine or belgian Pie’s place.

Now, this is important:

I would like to know how many people are coming, and who needs transport.

You are supposed to prepare your own lunch and water in advance.

Decent hiking boots and gear is a must on this hike - the white cotton NT$10 gloves might come in handy.

Looking forward for a bit of adventure. :smiling_imp:

It’s a fine hike and excellent exercise. It really gives a bit of everything in a relatively short hike. I wish I could come out again and do it this weekend with a group but, alas, it’s my gf’s grandfather’s birthday in Gaoxiong. The guy is over 90, so I guess it’s an occasion not to be missed. Kudos to Mr. He for finding some nice hikes.

:blush: Okay - “rope climbing”. The rope is there to help you ascend the slippery hill. It is only as a precaution, but I’ve found myself on my arse a couple of times - especially after rain. Ratbrain - it is really nothing to worry about. It’s probably the most fun part of the hike. I’ve seen and used ropes in a number of places in Taiwan.

I can never do Saturdays, as I work, so I’ll have to give the Sanxi trail a miss. It sound like a gone one Mr He!The Guan in shan one sounds easy by comparison. Maybe we should do that when people feel like a relaxing walk.

L. :smiley: