Hiking: 20 Nov - Bali

Any hiking action this Saturday?

Or do you what to come over to Bali? I checked out the route last weekend. I’m free on Sunday. I thought if people wanted, they could visit the museum afterwards. I’ve lived just down the road for two and a half years and never been in.

L.

That sounds good. How do you get to Bali using public transportation?

I think there’s a bus from Beimen.

I’m sorry to say I’ll be housebound for the whole of this weekend. :frowning: I’ve had a near-to-30,000-character batch of urgent translation assignments arrive today, including an important speech for the prem, so I’ll have to keep my nose to the grindstone without respite for at least the next week.

Since you’re first Chris, I can pick you up on the scooter at Guan Du MRT. Everyone will need wheels for this trip :blush: sorry.

What do you guys say?

L.

(Copied from another thread for convenience)…

…but I can lead a hike near my place in Guan in shan (Ba li) if you like.

There is a main “granny” path which is always busy, and not interesting, but along the side of the mountain are many paths. We would do a route called (Deng Shan) which is always quiet and not paved. It can be tough (a little section involves pulling yourself up on a rope) or easy - depending on how the group feels that day. The top will be crowded and noisy. There will be food a drink available. The round trip should take no more than two/three hours if we take it at last Sunday’s pace.

The problem would be transport. The nearest MRT is Guan du but we can park at the trail head. It is about a fifteen minute drive from the MRT.

It is a fairly short walk, but if the weather is clear you can see across to Yang ming shan and all the way down to the city. We could go into Bali city for lunch or head home, depending on the weather…

I checked out the path last Sunday and it was quite a nice walk. It had changed a bit since I was up there last. Bring a snack to have at the top.

3 persons on a scoot - kinky.

[quote=“Limey”]Since you’re first Chris, I can pick you up on the scooter at Guan Du MRT. Everyone will need wheels for this trip :blush: sorry.

What do you guys say?
[/quote]
My wife will be coming along, and we have no wheels… I don’t think 3 will fit on a scooter! :slight_smile:

Can anyone give us a ride? Seeker4, are you interested?

I’m in Canada now Mr H, so I can’t join. Save Huangdiddian till next week, as I know route well. BTW, for people without transport to Guanyinshan, take the MRT to Danshui, then the ferry to Bali, then a taxi. It’s only 6km from the ferry to the trailhead.

Hmm…I think I will be advising you guys even from the grave. :slight_smile:

:blush: Sorry Chris. That’s not going to work. Let’s see if anyone else wants to hike. Perhaps you two (or more) could get a cab. He can follow me. Shouldn’t be too expensive; the long haired dictionary says “$150”

Any more takers?

Mod please change title to “Huangdidian/Bali” as we haven’t confirmed it yet. Thanks a lot.

L.

As usual I can only give a provisional yes. I will probably have to wait until tomorrow (Saturday) to say either way. Sorry, but that’s life with a 9 month old.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]I’m in Canada now Mr H, so I can’t join. Save Huangdiddian till next week, as I know route well. BTW, for people without transport to Guanyinshan, take the MRT to Danshui, then the ferry to Bali, then a taxi. It’s only 6km from the ferry to the trailhead.

Hmm…I think I will be advising you guys even from the grave. :slight_smile:[/quote]

We should think of a time to meet. MRT to Danshui + Ferry + Cab Ride sounds like it’ll take us at least an hour and a half to get to the trailhead.

Or we could meet Limey and follow him in a cab.

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“Muzha Man”]I’m in Canada now Mr H, so I can’t join. Save Huangdiddian till next week, as I know route well. BTW, for people without transport to Guanyinshan, take the MRT to Danshui, then the ferry to Bali, then a taxi. It’s only 6km from the ferry to the trailhead.

Hmm…I think I will be advising you guys even from the grave. :slight_smile:[/quote]

We should think of a time to meet. MRT to Danshui + Ferry + Cab Ride sounds like it’ll take us at least an hour and a half to get to the trailhead.

Or we could meet Limey and follow him in a cab.[/quote]

Best place is Guan Du MRT (??). Then cab it. 10AM for an easy start. The only thing is that when we have finished getting a cab might mean walking down to the main road or getting the cabbie’s number so he can pick you up again. If you are feeling REALLY good you can walk through the cemetary and get a bus. If you want to do this you’ll add another kilometer and fifteen minutes or so.

So far that’s three or four of us; Limey, Irishstu (hopefully), Chris and Kitty.

It’s a fun day. Hope more can make it.

L.

Moderator: Please now change the heading to Bali, to save confusion when we do go to dinglydonglebury :opps:. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

are you guys going on sunday? if so, ratlung and i can join and we have wheels, room for 3.

I am interested in joining you guys too. Generally and on this one too. It would even maybe be with my whole family, wife, son and me. But I am not sure if we can make it and it belongs to the weather too. And to some other things so I have some questions which might help.

So first of all, you are going on sunday, right? I have no time on saturday so just available on sunday.

Then if we go that would include my 5 1/2 year old son. We did some hickes back in Austria also up on the mountain but not sure if this one would fit him. In worst case I could carry him (at least parts).

Where to meet? I have a car and we or I would come with it as we are from Longtan (Taoyuan) but I am here just since September so not really familiar with the area up there yet. But I think I could manage to find the ferry station in Bali. Which time would that be?

Thanks for any help…

Hi Mingshan and Ratbrian.

Meetting time: 10AM on Sunday 20th.

Place: Guan Du MRT station (Red line towards Danshui)
People with cars can stop for a few minutes.

Ratbrian, could you fit Chris and Kitty in your car? That should leave one extra seat.

Mingshan, parts of this hike include pulling yourself up on a rope, it’s not too difficult for an adult, but I think impossible for a five year old. You would be best to use a kiddie backpack. Even then I think you may still have a problem with balance and weight, it is quite steep and can be slippery. Sorry, but it’s best you know in advance. Don’t go to the ferry station, the starting point is back towards the city, about five kilometers!

See you Sunday.

L.

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“Limey”]Since you’re first Chris, I can pick you up on the scooter at Guan Du MRT. Everyone will need wheels for this trip :blush: sorry.

What do you guys say?
[/quote]
My wife will be coming along, and we have no wheels… I don’t think 3 will fit on a scooter! :slight_smile:

Can anyone give us a ride? Seeker4, are you interested?[/quote]
Probably won’t hike, but if I did, it would be solo with scooter transportation this time. If so, there would be room for 1 passenger. If I decide to go, I’ll post about it later in case that helps anyone with transportation.

what about dinner, anyone interested? is that incinerator restaurant nearby?

I would pick people up at the MRT station, but there are some questions I have. We live out here in Linkou, so we are really close to Guanyinshan. The MRT red line is on the other side of Danshui river, and I am just worried in getting stuck in traffic when trying to get by car over the river. I have driven that route before, and I think it might take me an extra half an hour to get there. Isn’t it possible to meet on the other side of the river by the ferry boat station in Bali, although I am not sure where that is.

Thanks for the information even I am not yet sure if I/we can make it.