Hiking: Dec 03 - Huangdidian

Well, if there isn’t then i can arrange a re-run, since the group ended up consisiting of my and my GF.

How about Huangdidian or the veyr steep place in Sanxia?

Mucha Man and Igorveni should be sufficiently rested this time- if not, they could at least post directions to a good long hike with some astonishing views.

I’m interested in Huangdidian.

Do you know the way?

Mucha_Man, when do you return to Taiwan?

Kitty & I will be in Hong Kong this Sunday.

[quote=“Chris”]Mucha_Man, when do you return to Taiwan?

Kitty & I will be in Hong Kong this Sunday.[/quote]

I returned last night. Are you two going to HK on Sunday or returning on Sunday? What about this weekend’s hike? Huangdidian, folks?

I can’t do anything this weekend. Sorry. :blush:

I can tell you right now I won’t be able to go this weekend (Saturday OR Sunday). Maybe the next one…

Have fun, whoever goes!

Maybe we should make it the weekend after. Kitty and I are leaving for Hong Kong early on Sunday morning. Seems others can’t make it either. Huangdidian is a hike that Limey and Irishstu shouldn’t miss!

[quote=“Chris”]Huangdidian is a hike that Limey and Irishstu shouldn’t miss![/quote]what about me :frowning:

You too, of course! :slight_smile:

I am all girled up this weekend, can’t go anywhere. sorry. :frowning:

OK, let’s make HDD for next weekend. I’ll probably go hiking with my wife somewhere in Muzha this weekend. Maybe I’ll try my new river tracing boots out.

BTW, Richard saunders has a hike this Sunday in Yangmingshan. I might go.

[quote=“Muzha Man”]OK, let’s make HDD for next weekend. I’ll probably go hiking with my wife somewhere in Muzha this weekend. Maybe I’ll try my new river tracing boots out.

BTW, Richard saunders has a hike this Sunday in Yangmingshan. I might go.[/quote]

Cool for me, HDD Sunday (Dec 4th) please.

I’m still in Seattle right now staying at my brother’s place for Thanksgiving. I’ll be back before the next hike, but my wife and I will be moving on the weekend of Dec.3-4.

Huangdidian is a great hike, and it’s supposed to be a little safer now than it used to be with some new hand rails that were recently added. I’d love to be able to go, but I don’t think I can swing it with all that’ll be going on. I highly recommend it, though.

Hope to see everybody soon.

[quote=“scomargo”]I’m still in Seattle right now staying at my brother’s place for Thanksgiving. I’ll be back before the next hike, but my wife and I will be moving on the weekend of Dec.3-4.

Huangdidian is a great hike, and it’s supposed to be a little safer now than it used to be with some new hand rails that were recently added. I’d love to be able to go, but I don’t think I can swing it with all that’ll be going on. I highly recommend it, though.

Hope to see everybody soon.[/quote]

What? They added handrails? Well, I suppose it isn’t a bad idea as there are some precariously stretches along the route, but ah, I will miss the old days.

I will post details later.

Okay, we meet at 9am at Muzha Station (I don’t mind 10 but if Mr He and Ironman are coming it is better for them to be on the highway earlier). It’s about a 20 minutes drive to the trailhead. People can take their scooters if they want.

The trail (at least the route I take) begins with a series of cement steps giving way to a series of switchbacks that lead to the top of the ridge. It’s less than an hour to the top, though this is a good workout none the less as the terrain is steep.

The ridge is similar to that at Wuliao Jian but more open and exposed. It is also not as craggy, but more or less flat for half a km or so. This doesn’t mnean of ocurse that we will be walking on a smooth flat top ridge. It has bumps and undulations but in general it is physically easy going on the top, though mentally thrilling in places.

In general this is a fun, rewarding hike, that poses no danger if you are careful, though plenty if you are not. You are at times literally perched on a narrow slice of rock hundreds of feet above the ground. There is one stretch about 20 metres long that is not more than a foot wide. Sheer drop offs threaten on both sides. This is Indiana Jones stuff.

Do not come if you do not have a head for heights. Do not take children or dogs. (Children are not really welcome on any of our hikes, by the way. We don’t always know the trails we set out to hike, and obstacles have arisen that proved challening for us as adults. Children would have added a whole other level of hassle and potentially danger. In addition, there are member who are not that fond of children and go, in part, because we are an adult group.)

The hike will take around 4 hours if we do the long route, less if we do the shorter route. We will not do this hike if it has rained that morning, or if it threatens to rain.

According to Scott there are handrails in sections now. This will make it somewhat safer but the enjoyment will still be there.

If the weather is nice on the way back we can stop off at this waterfall which is used by local people for showering. the fall is a quick 5 minute walk off the road.

I guess even if the weather is not great we can stop by. :wink:

Shame. I can’t do Saturdays. If you enjoy it, could we go again on a Sunday in the near future?

L. :smiley:

hey mucha man, are there alot of stairs, did you count them the last time you went? ha. more stairs than the old tree hike? by the way, something is changing the c when i write mucha man.

It’s the dam pinyinizer. Write Mucha_Man.

No, there aren’t so many stairs. Like I said, it’s less than an hour to the top of the ridge. This is not a hard hike. My wife did it with me many times even when she was in poor shape. Eaiser than the Caoling or the old tree trail for sure.

BTW, Rat would you be able to test a sample of river water to see if it is clean? I was thinking it would be nice to check out the places we swim.

I am especially interested in knowing how clean this massive and appealing place is: