Hiking, outdoor adventures, etc.. around taipei

[quote=“cw.jc”]Can anyone give me any ideas on what,where,and how to get there outdoor activities to do around Taipei… Unfort. my wife and her family only take me to tourist places, like night markets, temples, and all the other things that I am beginning to find boring. So I am looking for some advice. I have no car, no scooter so I must be able to get there by MRT or bus and I am up for anything outdoors from hiking to viewing taiwans nature…

If you know of something could you please give me some advise and how to get there by MRT or Bus… By the way I am located right next to the Sunyatsen memorial hall.
THx[/quote]

Mucha Man, ur crazy. Crazy in a shifty-eyed Taiwan geography god sort of way, but crazy none the less! :bravo: :bravo: Thanks for the good hike, loved the temple behind the waterfall! Keep the ideas coming!

If you liked that waterfall these sound even better.

chinapost.com.tw/travel/deta … 4083&GRP=g

The article is by Richard Saunders, the chap who wrote the Taipei Day Trips books which means you can trust the information. This guy really knows the nooks and crannies of the north. San-tiao-ling station is on the Pingxi branch line. Take the slow train to Ruifang, then transfer on the same platform to the Pingxi Line. San-tiao-ling is the second station. Train schedule times are here:

203.67.46.20/english/

Definitely intriguing. Will have to try it out once PingXi is back up (some time next week I heard?). If anyone treks it, send out a shout, perhaps with a few slightly better directions from the station. While I love muddingly about path finding, I’ll never convince the gf to go for an easy hike without being able to say I know exactly where it is AND being right :slight_smile:

One caveat about the Pingxi trails described in Richard’s China Post article, and also in his book. The article say the easiest way is to get there by train, but, quite unusually for Taiwan, in fact train is the only way to get to the trails (except for one little area not linked to the others, which is “people mountain, people sea” on Sundays.) So, if you want to follow in his footsteps, don’t set out by car or motorcyle.

Happy Trails!

[quote=“ShanYang”]One caveat about the Pingxi trails described in Richard’s China Post article, and also in his book. The article say the easiest way is to get there by train, but, quite unusually for Taiwan, in fact train is the only way to get to the trails (except for one little area not linked to the others, which is “people mountain, people sea” on Sundays.) So, if you want to follow in his footsteps, don’t set out by car or motorcyle.

Happy Trails![/quote]

I’m not sure I understand your post. In the TT article it says you can drive to San-Tiao-Ling now. Are you saying this is not true?

Also what does “one little area not linked to the others” means?

I’ve been out to Pingxi, Shifen and Jingtong (these are all stops on the Pingxi line for those who don’t know) many times on the weekends by car. If you go early and leave before 2 or 3pm you should have no problem. Or wait till it’s dark and head back around 8pm. Is it much different for the eastern part of the line?

I see you are in Shiji. Do you know the No 33 mountain road to Pingxi? Very fast by car or scooter and at least everytime I’ve been on it completely free of traffic.

Followed Richard’s directions this weekend and took the train from Rueifang and got off at “Santioling” first. Paid NT50 and got off and on as we pleased.

Once you get off just follow the tracks to the right. It splits just beyond the station It bends around the mountain and crosses a small bridge before hitting the little village, maybe about 500m. The entrance to the path is marked with a ribbon on the right side of the tracks and you will find it just after the deserted school that is perched on the hillside on the right. They are busy putting in stairs and removing what looked like a gravel path for the fist part which is a relatively steep ascent.

If you don’t find the trailhead, once you go over the bridge and hit the tunnel you know you’ve gone too far. Turn around, head back and ask the locals for directions. It’s easy to mimic a waterfall. The funniest part though was when, after a wonderful display of charades, one answered back in very understandable English :wink:

From there just follow the ribbons and you’re well away. The path is a bit steep at places and still wet and muddy in some parts but nothing dangerous and it was a great walk. I even saw a snake slither away as we approached! There is a viewpoint for the first fall but you can go right up to and behind the second one and it’s real beautiful and shady there.

We turned back and did not go on to the third one as we still wanted to go to the end of the line at “Jinton”. We checked out the Japanese villas there and saw a couple of lanterns going up before heading back.

I saw a road at Santioling but I am not sure if it’s new and/or accessible from Taipei. I would recommend taking the train though. It is a real treat as it churns along the valleys, through the tunnels and over old wooden train bridges on a very narrow track. It starts getting that way after Santioling though so if you just want to do the trail it might be more convenient by car/scooter if possible.

I don’t think a day is enough if you want to see all the sights at all the stops. We did not even stop at Shifen for the big falls. It looked busy there too. The Santioling trail was real peaceful. Maybe met three other groups going there and back.

Thanks Mucha and Richard and others for the recommendation. I will go back and more than once.

Sounds great. It definitely is worth going back to that area. there is a lot to explore. If you live closer to the southern part of Taipei you can take a car or scooter or bus out to Jingtong (about 30-40 minutes from Mucha Station) and start riding the train that way. If you live in Shiji, it’s just a hop over the mountains on the No 33 or 31 country roads.

By the way, are they putting in cement stairs or wood? A little strange that they are putting in stairs on a trail that requires you to walk on the railway tracks to begin. :slight_smile:

Shifen falls is quite spectacular when the water flow is high. Unfortunately some days the water is really muddy. Keep your train ticket as you get a discount on the falls entrance ticket.

Here’s a pic:
robert1566.fotopic.net/p4490149.html

At Shifen there is also the old coal mining station. You can ride a small electric train up to the old mine tunnel, which is being reinforced so people will be able to tour inside. Just to the left of the tunnel is an arch. Go through and the trail takes you up to a transmission tower. Supposed to be a good hike though I haven’t done it yet.

At Pingxi there are some fun hikes in the hills across from the station. Head down to the main road and turn right I think. Cross over and look for the trail map beside a small waterfall (you can’t see the fall until you are right on top of it). There are stairs here that take you up to the trails. It’s a fun area as the topography is really craggy and they have carved stone steps into the sides of crags so you can get right to the top. There are also a number of small caves to explore.

Taipei Day Trips II also mentions a hike from Pingxi to Jingtong.

At Jingtong itself there are a number of good short hikes. If you just want to putter around head up to the hills just behind the train station. When you get off the train walk to the end of the platform in the direction you came from. Cross and you will see a short ladder. Climb and follow the path up 150 feet or so. This area used to be a mining settlement. It seems from your post you did not go here. It is interesting to walk around and see the old buildings, tracks, and tunnels. If you go right you will reach some easy trails. Lush, good views and designed for strolling.

Better trails starts to the left of the lot on top (see the cars?) of this structure which you can see across from the train station. (The coal settlement is up a little more.)
robert1566.fotopic.net/p4490070.html

As you cross the lot you’ll see across the road a small paved path with a bamboo like railing on it’s left side. Head up the paved path. You’ll pass a couple dwellings on the right and then see a map. It’s not that helpful. Keep straight and a 100 feet further you’ll see signposts in English and a couple port-a-johns. You have many options now. You can go right, or you can cross the lot and continue (the trail is a bit hidden on the far left). I like the latter trail. Stay on it until it splits. Go left and you’ll reach the top of a volcanic looking peak. You can see taipei 101 in the distance. Takes about 50 minutes from the train station to the top. Sometimes you can see monkeys near the top.

Here’s me on the trail:
robert1566.fotopic.net/p4489995.html

Any of the trail however are worth exploring and because they aren’t that long you can do more than one though you’re likely to get pretty sweaty. It’s 40-50 straight up. The trail I mentioned is staired all the way up so you won’t get dirty at least. The others are dirt trails and involved some scrambling near the top.

I agree the train ride is nice but it’s also a beautiful area to drive through. Like I said, Jingtong is 30 minutes from Mucha Station.

I think today I have a little adventure… to Ping Lin. Totally have no idea where is the location and could tell is located East of Taipei? Going there without any planning, only some bit and pieces we have in hand.

Get to the last stop of MRT green line - Hsin Tien MRT station, walk towards 7-Eleven on your right, from there take a bus which cost NT68 per person. The bus do not have a number, just look out for “Ping Lin”. The ride takes about 45 minutes with slippery road like going up to Cameron Highlands, Malaysia.

For your info, Ping Lin is famous for tea. When I reached the destination, it rains whole day. Very depressing, walk under the rain and could not take lots of pictures. :frowning:

Missed the bicycle ride, the trail, and the campsite. But not the tasting of good tea that we have tasted. The tea is called “8 kinds of tea.” Finds it very fascinating… Although I do not know which store to go to taste wonderful chinese tea, in fact - I am happy and content. Sitting there drinking tea like going for “dim sum.”

-Ipoh Heights

Recommending to go to this place during summer time and not the time of rainy season. Or else, it would be very beautiful of the hilly scenery and the river. 5 to 6 hours at Ping Lin, is more than enough…

[quote=“Ipoh Heights”]

The bus do not have a number, just look out for “Ping Lin”.

Recommending to go to this place during summer time and not the time of rainy season. [/quote]

Uh, it’s not the rainy season now. In fact this is the dry season. You just were unlucky.

By the way, did the bus actually say “Pinglin” in English? That would be nice.

Oh and the new Lonely Planet Taiwan, which is supposed to be out this week has a good writeup and map of Pinglin in it.

Yes, the bus did put “Ping Lin” in English. I find it actually is not too hard to travel around in Taiwan. When I got to Ping Lin, the people spoke to me in Taiwanese language and I had no clue what they were talking about - even though I looked Chinese. What I did, was to use sign language communicating with this people… I found it workable!

If, you have a thick face and good sense of humor - you could find your trip with lots of fun :wink:

-Ipoh Heights

By the way, are they putting in cement stairs or wood? A little strange that they are putting in stairs on a trail that requires you to walk on the railway tracks to begin. :slight_smile:

Not sure if it will end up as stairs or not. Just know it looks like they are “improving” the walkway. I saw big blocks (cement at one spot and wood at another) that could conceivable just end up next to each other to form a path

Thanks for all the other info. Will head up there again real soon I hope

They used wood as stairs and all the way up to the hut where you would see the whole city of Ping Lin. :slight_smile:

Have a good time there!

[quote=“sleepoverbandit”]Followed Richard’s directions this weekend and took the train from Rueifang and got off at “Santioling” first. Paid NT50 and got off and on as we pleased…

…Thanks Mucha (Muzha) and Richard and others for the recommendation. I will go back and more than once.[/quote]

Just got back from the “Valley of the Waterfalls” hike today. Absolutely worth it. Beautiful scenery and no boatloads of tourists. Water levels were a little too low so the falls weren’t blooming, but there was enough rain in the morning to make the trails as slick as your greasy uncle Stan’s backside. For those that want a little more info:

You can definately reach the falls by road from the top and going down, almost got ran over on several occasions. Sorry, didn’t pass by any road signs to tell ya what number it was. But I think bottom up is a lot easier and more interesting. Saw cars at the bottom but no roads… :s

If climbing the three falls isn’t enough for you (round trip station to station in about 3 hours today, but extremely slow going in muck and we stopped at the falls for awhile) you can easily add in several short mountain peak side trips just before you reach the paved road at the top of the 3rd fall. Found two, both on the left, about 30 mins round trip each. Decent but not spectacular viewpoints.

The bottom portion is well on its way being stoned (pardon) and stepped. Large stones on the outside with gravel in the middle for the pathway. Its actually almost worth going just to see how they get the stones from the bottom to the top, if thats your sorta thing… I had always thought it’d be a hell of a lot of work! The wood is going in for the waterfall lookouts (1st and 2nd only so far) and the two bridge crossings. That past typhoon took a huge toll on most parts of the trail, tons of washouts and missing chunks of trail. Makes it more exciting though :smiley:

Speaking of exciting, the chain and rope climbs from the 2nd fall to the top are sweet, especially in the slick. So if your not up for a little bit of scrambling, or are afraid of getting your pant legs dirty, stick to the Cao Ling Gudao.

For those that want to come into the area from the back, ie. Muzha to Pingxi, take Bus No. 15 or 16. Sorry, forgot which company. Unless you actually live in Ruei Fang, its quicker than taking the train. Well atleast it was today coming back when the traffic wasn’t so bad, about 40 mins Pingxi-Muzha Station.

For those who are going to Shifen Falls, its actually quicker from Dahua, u get to take a beautiful walk along the tracks, and u miss most of the loads of tourists. Shifen visitors center does have some useful info however.

Am I the only one who thinks charging $120 (100 is you have a train ticket) for an entrance fee for Shifen falls is bordering on extortion?! :loco: Thats more than it cost me to get there. And without that annoying fence, you could see it from the train!!

But thats enough ranting for today. Hike the trail, its awesome!

[quote=“cw.jc”]If you know of something could you please give me some advise and how to get there by MRT or Bus… By the way I am located right next to the Sunyatsen memorial hall.
THx[/quote]
There are a lot of great hiking trails in the mountainous northern half of Neihu. Today we hiked the trail to Jinmian Shan, which affords spectacular views of Taipei. To get to the trailhead, take Bus 247 to the last stop. (Bus 247 can be caught on Zhongshan N. Rd. - it then goes through Dazhi to Neihu.) Continue walking along the road the bus was driving along until you reach the edge of the built-up area. The road forks there: take the left fork. Walk a minute or so along that road until you see a wooden pointer sign on the left of the road. That’s the trailhead.

Follow the trail for perhaps 10 or 15 minutes until you come to a “crossroads” of paths in a saddle between two small peaks (right after you walk up a small, steep stream bed that’s a little muddy and slippery after a rain) - take the right-hand fork, which goes uphill. The trail for the most part follows a ridge that connects several peaks. Jinmian Shan (which sports huge boulders at the top - the big overhanging one is called “Scissors Rock”) is the highest peak.

As you continue along this trail, some paths branch off to the left - those will take you down to Huanshan Rd. in Neihu or Dazhi. From there you can find buses to take you back downtown. Or you could keep going until you reach a T-junction: the left path takes you to Waishuangxi, the right path takes you back into Neihu’s mountains and to a paved road. If you follow the road back down, you’ll end up at the trailhead where you started. Go up the hill and it eventually curves back down to Bishan Temple, passing by some interesting cemeteries also interconnected by trails. (One of the biggest graves up there, visible for miles around, is built in the shape of a Thai wat.)

This is a wonderful trail, and few people seem to know about it, though apparently it has its devotees. There are even some Tibetan prayer flags placed in various spots along this trail. We saw some rare birds today, and one of the most spectacular unobstructed views of Taipei I’ve ever seen. Very satisfying.

I’d rate it as moderate - it has a few steep parts and some scrambling up boulders, as well as some eroded paths that can get a little muddy. It can be done in tennis shoes, but I’d recommend a good pair of hiking shoes or boots.

Here’s another awesome hike in the Shifen area.

Start at the Shifen train station. Head back toward Ruifang (east) along the road to the left of the tracks. In about 100 yards or so you will see a road to the left. take it. if you reach the police station or entrance to the coal museum you have gone too far.

Follow the road as it winds toward the mountains for just over a km. When the road splits take the lower road. (You will see a sign in Chinese at this junction telling you that the lower road goes to the coal museum - this is the back part of the museum. It’s a big place, 200 hectares I think.)

A 100 yards down this road you will see the museum. It is surrounded by a rough bamboo fence. keep to the left and pass the museum. You will see the start of a cement trail at the back. This is your trail.

In 200 yards you will cross a bridge. Underneath is a nice place to cool off on the way back. The water is very clean as it flows down from the ridge above and there is no construction up there.

Instead of heading up the cement trail turn left just over the bridge and down (following the bank of the river) and then quickly turn right on a dirty path. In 50 yards you will see to the right a massive tunnel. It seems they were goign to build a tunnel through the area once but abandoned it. You can walk in and explore freely however. We just went in about 50 yards today (it seems to go on and on) and planned to explore more on the way back but didn’t have time. Next time.

After exploring the tunnel head back to the cement steps. Head up. After 10 minutes you’ll see an old blue cloth on the right lookign like it was once a shelter of sorts. Look up and right and you’ll see something yellow. Head into the bush on a rough trail, cross the stream and head up. You’ll come to a giant machine whose purpose I do not know. In any case there are two tunnels there. One is closed but the other is open. You’ll need a flashlight as it’s pitch black. I have no idea how far in it goes. Again, planned to explore today but no time.

Get back on the cement trail and continue. It’s lovely here, the forest is fresh, keeps you in the shade and a super clean stream flows beside you. If you are lucky you will like I did, see a 3 meter beauty snake sunning itself just off the side of the trail. (Damn thing wouldn’t stop for a pic though.)

In 1.5-2 hours you will reach a tudigong temple at the beginning of the ridge walk. Stop for the views but save your lunch if you can.

To the left of the temple there is a natural trail. It looks like it runs along the back side of the ridge and connect with other peaks in the area. Will have to explore another time.

Continue up the cement path. It just gets better and better from here on up. Wide open views that are compeltely unspoiled. I mean no sign up houses, villages, highways, etc. Just nature all around you.

The topography in this area is fantastic. Craggy peaks, and low slung saddles. There is one spot that looks like a tropical interpetation of the mountains the Grinch lives in.

Lots of grass up here and forests of differing hues of green. A lot like the slopes of Yangmingshan but craggier.

Continue up the path for two kilometres till you reach a weather station and a pavilion. You are now on Wufenshan. about 750 metres up.

The view is 360 degrees perfect. You can see the ocean in front, with clear shots of Keelung Island. Directly in front, about 5km away rises the back of Jilongshan (near Jiufen). To the left, you can see Yangmingshan, behind the Pingxi peaks, and to the right the rolling range of mountains near Pinglin.

It is possible to drive to this point on a road in front so you may see people there. But even today, we saw only a half dozen.

It should have taken you 2-3 hours to get to this point.

You now have several choices. 1. You can retrace your steps back to Shifen. I did this today and it was great. Walking back you get to revel in all the mountains and ridges you had to turn around to appreciate on the way up. Also, if you save the tunnels for the return trip you have something to look forward to at the end.

1. You can walk down from the pavilion to the road and follow the road down to Ruifang and there catch a train back to taipei. (When the road splits head left. Right will take you back to Shifen. It’s pretty obvious.)

2. About halfway between the tudigong temple and the weather station lookout you will see a natural path heading to the left (a number of tags mark the start). This path will take you down to Badu, or somewhere around Shizhi, Keelung. I can’t say exactly where but you can’t get lost. When you are on the ridge you can see clearly down to the pockets of development below.

3. Just to the right of the tudigong temple is a trail heading down. Again, don’t know exactly where it ends up but if you follow your nose you’ll end up on a road taking you back to Shizhi or Keelung.

Anyway, that is the trail. If you retrace your steps give yourself around 4-5 hours. Longer if you want to have a lengthy rest at the pavilion.

It’s windy up on the ridge so take a sweater. Also, don’t leave too late as it can get foggy up here in the late afternoon.

For anyone interested, we have a small hiking club going now. See this thread for info on past and upcoming events:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=40266

Dongyuanshan national forest recreation area in Taoyuan county, Fuxing township …

If you’re looking for something a little different then check out this company, In Motion Asia…

www.inmotionasia.com.

They organize mountain biking, cycling, hiking tours and other outdoor adventures throughout Taiwan.

Check them out!

Paradise

Paradise wrote: [quote]If you’re looking for something a little different then check out this company, In Motion Asia…

www.inmotionasia.com.

They organize mountain biking, cycling, hiking tours and other outdoor adventures throughout Taiwan.

Check them out!

Paradise[/quote]

Paradise,
Can I ask what your connection to this company is? Are you just a satisfied customer, or are you friends of the people running it, or…?