Hiking & River Tracing in Daxi Yilan, Aug 25, 2007

The Hiking Club will go hiking & river tracing in Daxi Yilan on Aug 25, 2007.

Rendezvous for participants from Taipei is at Mucha MRT station at 8:00.
People who want to join us please reply the thread because of the transportation arrangement.

Omni would suggest participants wear 防滑鞋 and Mucha Man would suggest participants who can’t swim wear 救生衣.

I am in but I don’t have a car. :frowning:

Chris + 1

I’m in, too.
Please call me when you turn left from the Seaside Highway before enter the upward country road. There’re a statue of Chiang Kai-Shek. My house is 50m from there.

I will drive there.

But I hate driving through the Xueshan Tunnel - it’s too claustrophobic for me - so I’ll take the scenic route along the No. 9.

Anyone coming with me can meet me at Xindian MRT station at 7:15 sharp.

I would love to join you guys and make some shots with me new camera. Rivertracing should make some great shots but I guess I should start with a “mild” one first, the equipment is too “tai gui le” to risk it. :wink:
I also would have my son with me, so a no go this weekend, we might go up in Pinglin or Wulai area on our own.
Take all good care and enjoy your trip, till next time than.

It seems we will have heavy rain in the afternoon in the following days. :frowning:

Will it influence the water level or will it become too cool for swimming?

氣象局表示,24到25號受熱帶性低氣壓影響,各地將轉為有短暫陣雨天氣。
No worries! :wink:

[quote=“kate.lin”]It seems we will have heavy rain in the afternoon in the following days. :frowning:

Will it influence the water level or will it become too cool for swimming?[/quote]

It certainly will not be too cool for swimming!!! I was swimming in the Jiajiuliao Stream at 6:30 this morning (as usual), and it was very comfortable indeed.

Also, it’s notable that yesterday’s heavy downpour hadn’t affected the level of the water there at all.

If we see it clouding over at around midday, we can start to hurry back, and should have plenty of time to avoid getting into any trouble. And if the water does by any chance start to rise rapidly, I’m sure we’ll be able to get ourselves onto higher ground and safely out of danger’s way.

[quote=“douseeme”]氣象局表示,24到25號受熱帶性低氣壓影響,各地將轉為有短暫陣雨天氣。
No worries! :wink:[/quote]

So no mention at all there of 午後雷陣雨 or 超大豪雨.
Indeed, no worries! :slight_smile:

And douseeme, willweseeu?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

[quote=“Omniloquacious”][quote=“douseeme”]氣象局表示,24到25號受熱帶性低氣壓影響,各地將轉為有短暫陣雨天氣。
No worries! :wink:[/quote]

So no mention at all there of 午後雷陣雨 or 超大豪雨.
Indeed, no worries! :slight_smile:

And douseeme, willweseeu?[/quote]
I’d love to join in you all.
But I just noticed this thread.
It is a bit late for me to reschedule my work.
I am looking forward to next hiking .
:slight_smile:

[quote=“Omniloquacious”][quote=“kate.lin”]It seems we will have heavy rain in the afternoon in the following days. :frowning:

Will it influence the water level or will it become too cool for swimming?[/quote]

It certainly will not be too cool for swimming!!! I was swimming in the Jiajiuliao Stream at 6:30 this morning (as usual), and it was very comfortable indeed.

Also, it’s notable that yesterday’s heavy downpour hadn’t affected the level of the water there at all.

If we see it clouding over at around midday, we can start to hurry back, and should have plenty of time to avoid getting into any trouble. And if the water does by any chance start to rise rapidly, I’m sure we’ll be able to get ourselves onto higher ground and safely out of danger’s way.[/quote]

Uh, we won’t arrive at the swimming hole till midday. It’s 2.7 hours tracing one-way.

Cold, no. The river is flat and uncovered so it picks up the sunlight. Much warmer than Jia Jiu Liao though not as warm as the lovely bathing grounds of the Wantan.

The river is a short one (6-7km max) with only a couple smallish streams feeding in so it should not rise much even with rain. A typhoon yes, but not an ordinary downpour especially given how little they affect the Jia Jiu Liao which has at least 4x the water volume. Worse comes to worse we get onto the old trail. We walked this all the way back once before.

Omni, are you going to pick up Trail_hacker? I will have a fullish car I imagine.

But you were ambling along at an ultra-leisurely pace, weren’t you? I assume we could cover it in a third of that time if we needed to, right? :wink:

Yes, no problem. At present, I expect to have just one or two other passengers. We can finalize transport arrangements tomorrow once we know for sure who’s coming.

BTW, MJB has expressed an interest in joining us, but will go to the trailhead straight from Yangmei if he does. So could you give him directions (in this thread, which will be useful for me as well) on where to go to meet up with us?

Actually, Kate, I know you asked if you could go with my group but is there any way you can go with Omni? My wife and Neil are coming so that makes five. If it’s too early maybe Chris and Kitty can drive too. Or maybe Neil can go with Omni. He may be an early riser.

YES, Sir! No problem. :slight_smile:

Omni knows me, 7:15 is okay. (I can manage to get up early, I never be late.)

Okay, to make absolutely sure that I don’t go astray (not having driven up that way before), I have mapped out the latter part of my route in minute detail as follows:

Soon after the switchback section of the No. 9, after crossing 猴洞橋, take left fork onto No. 2
Pass through 頂埔
Through 頭城
Along the 東部海濱公路 (No. 2)
大奧
外奧
小奧
Along the 北部海濱公路 (No. 2)
Cross 梗枋橋
Pass 梗枋漁港
Keep on up No. 2 toward 大溪 (sea on right, railway on left)
Pass 蘭城公園 (on right)
河東堂 獅子博物館 (on right)
過溪
橋板湖
Cross 罟寮橋
蜜月灣
鳳山廟 (right)
天后宮 (left)
大溪站 (left)
大安廟 (left)
Arrive at destination: 大溪川
Do not cross 大溪橋

Where exactly should we rendezvous, MM? Near to Dasi Bridge? (I’d better cross onto the southbound side of the road.)

TH, where along there should I pick you up? Or will I have to go on past Dasi to do so?

Kate and Somini (if you can make it and need a ride), I’ll see you at Xindian MRT station at 7:15 - my grey Swift will be parked in the same place as before (on the left as you come through the ticket barrier). And Kate, please make sure to have at least one cellphone number from those in MM’s car.

Omni, if you pick up TH then meet us right at the temple just up from the river. Otherwise we can meet at the parking lot north of the Daxi River where the Caoling trail begins. Maybe we should meet there in case MJB goes. So let’s say 9am?

Omni,

In fact I can go to the trailhead myself directly and wait you there from
9:00.

At the end of sealed road passing TuDiGong temple, there is an old narrow bridge. I’ll swim in the pool under it and wait you guys comming!

If you don’t know exactly the place I mean, I can meet you altogether at the temple or the parking lot north of the Daxi River.

[quote=“trail_hacker”]I’m in, too.
Please call me when you turn left from the Seaside Highway before enter the upward country road. There’re a statue of Chiang Kai-Shek. My house is 50m from there.[/quote]
TH, is your home near to 大溪橋? If so, can you walk down to meet us at the bridge or thereabouts? Then you can guide us to where MM has suggested we meet (the Caoling trail car park sounds good).

I think I should be able to make it by then, if we leave Sindian MRT station promptly at 7:15.

Is the car park north of the Dasi Bridge and the mouth of the Dasi River? If so, I’ll stay on the northbound side of the road to pick up TH.