Hiking & River Tracing in Daxi Yilan, Aug 25, 2007

[quote=“trail_hacker”]Omni,

In fact I can go to the trailhead myself directly and wait you there from
9:00.

At the end of sealed road passing TuDiGong temple, there is an old narrow bridge. I’ll swim in the pool under it and wait you guys comming![/quote]

Okay, TH - I was writing my last mail when you posted this, so I’ve just seen it.

Yes, Sir! I have got cell phone number.
And I have got fishman shoes and lifejacket, too. :smiley:

[.

Trail_hacker I know the spot you are talking about. Omni, it’s a different bridge so you can’t pick him up. Meet my group on the north side of the Daxi River, yes, past the mouth of the river, at the Caoling car park. I’ll post a pic of a map later.

OK, MM, meet you at 8:00pm at Muzha Station!

Yes, 8am.

Omni, X marks the spot. Even though the map shows a parking lot on the west side of the road we will meet on the east side, as there is another lot there.

Okay, thanks, that should be very easy to find.

I’ll now be bringing one more passenger: since Mucha Woman and Kitty are coming, the Laopo has also decided to join us.

Wow…This is fabulous! Hiking Club members and their ladies and other old faces. This will be the greatest hiking event. :slight_smile:

Hi all,
I’ll meet you at parking lot.

[quote=“trail_hacker”]Hi all,
I’ll meet you at parking lot.[/quote]

See you there!

We’re off now.

That worked out really well, despite the heavy downpour that greeted us on arrival and made our prospects for the day look somewhat grim.

It was actually almost perfect weather for tracing up a stream like that, with plenty of cloud and occasional cooling showers to alleviate the broiling heat of the sun.

I enjoyed the whole day very much, and am very glad we didn’t cancel on account of the weather. The only thing I regret is that I didn’t bring a camera to take pictures of the beautiful sea of clouds that we saw over Feicui Reservoir on the way to Dasi in the morning.

It was a pity MJB and Somimi couldn’t make it - you missed out on a treat!

How late did you guys stay eating your seafood in the harbour afterwards? S. loved the squid she took away and ate in the car.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]That worked out really well, despite the heavy downpour that greeted us on arrival and made our prospects for the day look somewhat grim.

It was actually almost perfect weather for tracing up a stream like that, with plenty of cloud and occasional cooling showers to alleviate the broiling heat of the sun.

I enjoyed the whole day very much, and am very glad we didn’t cancel on account of the weather. The only thing I regret is that I didn’t bring a camera to take pictures of the beautiful sea of clouds that we saw over Feicui Reservoir on the way to Dasi (Daxi) in the morning.

It was a pity MJB and Somimi couldn’t make it - you missed out on a treat!

How late did you guys stay eating your seafood in the harbour afterwards? S. loved the squid she took away and ate in the car.[/quote]

I was up there as well, the draw of seeing what the last typhoon had done to my diving area too strong to resist. I passed your meet point at about 10:30, at which time the weather was looking ugly. I had thoughts you might have canceled, as I didn’t see your swift in the parking area mentioned in the thread.

I didn’t know you all stayed in the area so late, or I would have come back south (was diving about 7km north of you)…As it was we went to Fulong for food, sunset and frisbee before taking the 102/106 home.

We need to exchange some phone numbers…I could have given 4 people a ride home. :blush:

Ah, we were already well on our way upstream by then - and stopping for our first swim.

We’d left that car park and driven up the little zig-zagging road beside the stream to park as close as we could get to the trailhead.

Yes, I should have given you my number. I will the next time.

But we were okay for car seats, with just eight of us in two cars going back to Taipei plus one lucky fellow (Trail Hacker) who lives in Daxi.

The river tracing in Daxi was splendid.
It was sometimes rainy but there was often a parcel of bright blue sky above the valley. It was like a gate that leads to a peaceful mind.
The secluded valley was like a mysterious paradise, hawk hovering above the green hills; fish flicking sliver light in the clean stream.
It was a great enjoyment to be there, to lie on a big rock along the stream, to be embraced by flourishing woods, to listen to the murmur of the stream, and to feel the touch of fresh breeze. All thoughts of mine were carried away by the stream. I completely forgot myself.
Thank you, Trail_Hacker, Mucha Man, Omni and Chris. This hiking for me is unforgettable.

That’s a very nice post, Kate. Sometimes on these hikes I do forget just to lie back and observe the slow movement of nature around me.

The fish were lovely. We didn’t see any that size last year, and certainly not in those numbers, so conservation efforts are really paying off.

Omni, we stayed till about 8pm after a feast off squid, tofu fish and some briny little things. We had three bags of seafood and it cost NT500 for the lot. Unbelievable.

BTW, that blue long sleeved surfign shirt worked very well at protecting me from the suns rays. Just how well can be seen from the burn I suffered on the back of my hands were the sleeves ended.

Did anyone else get burned on the back of their legs? I always forget to put sunscreen there and this time the water level was not high enough to protect my legs. Ouch.

My only sunburned bits are the back of my neck and my nose - but it’s not bad at all, and I can hardly even feel it any more.

I never got sunburn during hiking before, but I got sunburn on nose, shoulders and neck this time. It was fun to see myself having red nose. I feel I am like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. :slight_smile:

I use umbrella and don’t get any sunburn! :smiley:

Actually I feel a little rip-offed for the seafood. It’s higher than my daily price. During weekdays, sometimes I got really good bargain. I’ve bought 6 crabs or 3 small scads with NT$10. That’s really uncredible!