Hinet ADSL fix or not to fix?

Which kind of IP do you prefer?

Fixed or otherwise.

ADSL seems to provide only unfixed. Any advantages to a fixed one?

Anyone know how to get one from HINET?

Kenneth

Depends on what you’re doing… If you’re running any kind of server, it’s generally more helpful to have a fixed IP.

However, there is a service (whose name eludes me at the moment, help someone?) that will let your e-mail, FTP clients, Hotline (ut-hmmm) clients, etc find you even though your IP is being bounced around by DHCP every X minutes or hours.

I don’t know how reliable such services are as I’ve never had the need.

If you resent every penny you Hinet and need fixed IP services, try the freeby. If a few bucks more a month don’t bother you and you really need the chewy goodness of a fixed IP, then pony up.

DNS has a parameter for how long an IP address is expected to remain valid. Most set this timeout at about one day. For a dynamic IP, you just set it for a few seconds to make the “window” much smaller for getting the wrong IP address.

The problems are (1) there is still a short window where someone might get the wrong IP address, and (2) it costs more for your DNS service because they have to serve many more requests.

dns.widge.net/ allows dynamic IP DNS. You might check with them on pricing; they were pretty cheap last time I looked.

If you have a fixed IP, anyone can look it up and get your name and home address. Something to consider if you’re concered about privacy.

I used to have 8 fixed (5-usuable) IPs from hinet, I thought it was a nice idea, but I never got around to using it for a server, when we moved I got 2 unfixed ips for a lot cheaper.

Also, if you make a post on tealit that they disagree with slightly, it’s harder for them to ban you if you have a dynamic IP

You don’t have to log in with a fixed ID. I don’t think you can get the faster services with a dynamic address (I could be mistaken though).

my fixed one was always on, just had to tell windows which IP i wanted that computer to use and I was connected as soon as I turned on, the only way to disconnect it would be by physically pulling the wire out.

My dynamic one now I need to log in with a username and password with pppoe

PPPoE really stinks. I haven’t been able to find any decent software for my computer directly (I use a router). That being said, it all depends on how much you’re willing to pay. Also, with fixed, there’s a slight risk that someone steals your IP.

Even if you’re running a server, you can use Dynamic DNS if you’re on DHCP. no-ip.org looks to be decent. I have an account but never really used it.

Ken, if you are at home, dynamic IP is best.
If you want to run a server get a account with DDNS providers for a small server.
If you planning to do "really " something, get a Domain name and get it hosted with a data center.

As far as PPPoE problems, the best way is to buy a router with PPPoE ( around NT$1400 for wired, 4k for wireless ).

Frankly for home use Static IP is not really worth.

My CS ping times say otherwise. Back when I signed up I think I had to get a static IP for the speed I wanted (or maybe they gave me a choice, I can’t remember). I haven’t looked at prices for a while, but I think I got a good deal, plus I was basing the prices here from how expensive they were in the US. I won’t do that next time.

CHT is giving 3Mb connection only with dynamic IP. with 1.5 Mbs connection you can decide between any Dynamic or Static.
Cable Modems you get dyanamic only.

[quote=“ponchi”]CHT is giving 3Mb connection only with dynamic IP. with 1.5 Mbs connection you can decide between any Dynamic or Static.
Cable Modems you get dyanamic only.[/quote]
What are there 3Mb connections all about? My year will be up soon and I’ll be able to shop around again.

I guess my most important questions is will my CS pintimes stay low and cost. I remember everything for around 1000NT/month wasn’t what I wanted. All I want is the most cost effective way to keep my ping times low :laughing: .

I just had a look at Hinets pricing page and it looks like having a big down link is cheap, going up is what makes things more expensive.
I think I have 1.5/712 (or something like that) I’ll have to find my paper work.

it is 3 Mpbs up and 7xx ( forgot the exact number ) down.

in our office we have 15.Mpbs/512, it cost us about 10K a month for 24x7 with 5 IPS, 3Mps was about 11K but no fixed IPs due which we could not use it ( firewall problem).

The ping rates to US from our office is about 160-180 ms, is that the range you get ?

I’m not exactly sure how I could test it, but the times I ran good old ping I remember them being around 220ms. I’ll test it again when I get home. Maybe we should dig up one of those old speed test threads and do some comparisons.

good old ping is the best…

for speed test go to www.dslreports.com for taiwan the results they give are stable.

miltownkid: ping times to cs servers outside of Taiwan will be 120ms+ simply because Taiwan doesn’t have enough bandwidth heading out. Within Taiwan, any speed DSL should give you under 100ms (which is considered optimal gaming pings these days)

My friend had cable and he never (or very rarely) gets under 100. Hexuan posted that he never gets under 100 (and he has DSL). I’ll get ping times of around 30 on servers down south. I think the upstream is important when tabulating ping times, and it’s usually the upstream that costs more.

Cable will rarely go under 100ms because of the huge number of people with Nimda, Code Red, SQL Slammer or whatever the worm/virus of the day is or simply because the cable provider is overcapacity. I remember two summers ago when Code Red hit…cable modem was more or less unusable.

I’ve never played CS in Taiwan but all the web sites I visited within Taiwan were <100ms. If you’re really interested in looking at where things are slowing down, you can do a “tracert xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx” in the Commmand box. You’ll be able to see ping times at each “hop” along the route. Most likely, you’ll see <50ms while on the ISP network and then it’ll skyrocket when it hits a different network. It also may be possible that the servers you’re playing on don’t have enough bandwidth.

I doubt you’re transmitting enough information to make upstream an issue. Unless you’re running Kazaa at the same time you’re trying to play CS, you have plenty of upstream. The reason very few people need large upstreams is because it’s only useful if you’re running a CS server yourself.

Just to give you an example of the problem w/ Taiwan’s connection to outside. I set up a network for a 7 story commercial/residential complex in Taipei. To test, I hooked the office cable into the network. No one in the office complained because they all went to TW web sites. The expat residents all complained that their web sites were slow.

I moved to dedicated 1.5/768 DSL and found that they never used more than 512k down and 128 up(they still complained). I moved down to 512/128 and the number of complaints is the same.

Moral: It doesn’t matter what speed you get if your ISP can’t handle it.

Ok…that was a really long post for the quick reply box.

This is just a general comment/question about my Chunghwa ADSL bill which I just received…

wtf…

My bill is like 2300NTD!!! I look at the breakdown and there’s two very disturbing charges. Some kind of municipal fee (2 in fact) for a total of 1600!! that is just bloody hiway robbery.

anyone else get this? wtf is