HINET ADSL free hosting, how do I use it?

I have a HINET ADSL account which is great (so cheap in this country :slight_smile: ). I would like to know how to use the hosting space that apparently comes with the deal. Their english site has no information on this.

Can anyone help me with links etc or information on how to use this space?

Thanks

What information do you have?

If itā€™s like most, you would use FTP to move files back and forth, and people would access it by a URL like
hinet.net/~accountname/file.jpg

If you donā€™t know FTP, itā€™s pretty simple. Assuming you have a Microsoft machine, just open a DOS window and type ā€œftpā€ (without quotes) at the command prompt, then hit enter. A question mark will give you the list of commands.

The main snafu people encounter is that FTP is an ancient program which was written in the days when networks were slow and expensive, so its default mode doesnā€™t transfer data completely. It defaults to ASCII mode, which will mangle files as you send them (the only real use for it is to send a text file from a Microsoft machine to a non-Microsoft machine, in which case it strips off the carriage-return character that Microsoft appends to the end of every line). If you are transferring images, Word documents, or anything else other than plain ASCII text, switch it to binary mode.

The basic commands are:

ftp hostmachine.com ā€“ starts a session and tries to connect;
if it works, it will ask you for a username and password.
binary ā€“ sets binary mode
ascii ā€“ sets ascii mode
send (file) ā€” sends file to other machine
get (file) ā€“ gets file from other machine
delete (file) ā€“ deletes file from other machine
cd (dir) ā€“ changes directory ON OTHER MACHINE
lcd (dir) ā€“ changes directory ON YOUR LOCAL MACHINE
mkdir (dir) ā€” creates a new directory ON OTHER MACHINE
note: you probably will then ā€œcdā€ to that dir; it doesnā€™t do it for you
quit ā€“ exits

One major caveat: the basic FTP program is insecure. It sends your account and password in the clear, so if someone is using a network analyzer to snoop on the data, they will see it. There is a package out there called SSH which runs an encrypted connection; you would have to find out if HiNet has set up their machines with the correct server to allow it, and then you would need to get a copy from a trusted location.

So, a typical session would look like:
ftp hinet.net
(username)
(password)
mkdir vaca_pix
cd vaca_pix
binary
send pic1.jpg
send pic2.jpg
ascii
send index.html
quit

(start browser, then look at the pix at a URL like: )
hinet.net/~username/vaca_pix/index.html

I know I would like to use it too. But I canā€™t figure out how to access the service.

Any specific ideas?

I know that I had to sign up for the mail service, but it was easy. How do you sign up for webpages?

Kenneth

Hinet ADSL? The application was easy and you didnā€™t notice anything strange? Your browser didnā€™t actually warn you that the SSL certificate their server gave you was bogus?
Who knows who else has now your login and passwordā€¦ :?

Do you mean my password and login for the email account?

It doesnā€™t worry me because I donā€™t really use that account for important stuff. Soā€¦

Thanks MaPoDoFu I have tried various host manes and I have come to the conclusion that I must have the wrong one( tried hinet.net, www.msa.hinet.net)
I get:

Can anyone tell me what the host name should be?

Thanks

Hmm. How about the hostname ā€œftp.hinet.net.twā€? I get a 10061 error code (ā€œrefused connectionā€, so it exists but doesnā€™t like me) when I try to ftp to it, but that may be because Iā€™m not on one of their DSL lines. Could also be overloaded or down at the moment.

Hope it works for you. Let us know!

Reading chinese web sites is really hard when you do not understand the language. I have had a bit of success however but still I can not figure out the whole story. I will ask a member of the chinese staff at work to explain to me tomorrow.

Anyway this is what I have so far:

I think that [www.myweb.hinet.net/](http://www.myweb.hinet.net/) is the service for ADSL and leased line subscribers to have web space.

Tried connecting to ftp.myweb.hinet.net/ and got full connection sequence but failed login.

The page myweb.hinet.net has a register link which I guess means that you have to register to use the service. I was able to log in with my username and password but did not understand the next step so could not proceed :?

Anyone help me?
Cheers

I think I figured out how to do it. But the Chinese didnā€™t appear in this posting, however, if you count, and use your common sense, I think youā€™ll be able to do it.

Step one.
Go to myweb.hinet.net/
Then click on ā€œApply for Pageā€ Left Sidebar - Top box.

Step Two
Then when you see the login box
??? enter your hinet account number (-HN)
? ? ? ? enter your password
click the check box and press enter

Step Three!
Enter your Hinet Email ID and password (I guess itā€™s a check!)

Step Four
Enter the page registration details
? ?: web page account name (you choose!)
? ?: PASSWORD (you choose!)
??? ALREADY FILLED IN.
? ? YOUR NAME
???: Title
???: home page purpose
???; category of homepageā€¦ if you canā€™t read it, click default. you can probably change it later.
scroll to bottom. then hit OK

Step Five.
You probably want to copy the details on the next page.
Then hit ā€œSEND outā€ bottom right button!

Step Six.
I tried FTP at that point, and it seemed to work.

Will keep you posted.
Kenneth

Thanks Kenneth
That did it, I really did not know what those forms were and was really stuck. I now have my little site, showing the folks back home some things, all set up.

:smiley:

Thanks all for your help

Duncan

I am hooked up with an account but now I donā€™t have a clue how to use it.
I tried connecting to my site and I get a download box for a cgi file. It doesnā€™t do anything and doesnā€™t open.

What am I doing wrong and how do I connect to the account to start building?

[quote=ā€œBassmanā€]I am hooked up with an account but now I donā€™t have a clue how to use it.
I tried connecting to my site and I get a download box for a cgi file. It doesnā€™t do anything and doesnā€™t open.

What am I doing wrong and how do I connect to the account to start building?[/quote]

love to help, but canā€™t figure out what you are asking here.

FTP usually works, use WSFTP_LE, simple and easy. All the information is here.

Did you register the site properly with Hinet? YOu have to applyā€¦

Kenneth

[quote=ā€œKenTaiwan98ā€][quote=ā€œBassmanā€]I am hooked up with an account but now I donā€™t have a clue how to use it.

What am I doing wrong and how do I connect to the account to start building?[/quote]

love to help, but canā€™t figure out what you are asking here.

FTP usually works, use WSFTP_LE, simple and easy. All the information is here.

Did you register the site properly with Hinet? YOu have to applyā€¦

Kenneth[/quote]

Yes, I did apply but failed to get the ftp right. I used ftp:// when I should have used ftp.blah blah blah. Once I got all the information with the help of a Taiwanese computer teacher I know.

Now I have my ftp, I can use it.

Yeah.

Butā€¦ I am still an idiot.

is it totally free? and are there bandwidth limits?

Itā€™s not really ā€œfreeā€, itā€™s ā€œincluded with your HiNet account.ā€

so iā€™ve been paying for it for 2 years now and nobody ever told me??!! DAMN THEM! :fume: they really need an English version, or at least tell you about it when you sign up!

how about the bandwidth?
andā€¦can you score more than 1 account? :sunglasses:

I just set up my webpage last night. Is it possible to create a webpage using Hinet web hosting that doesnā€™t create those annoying popup advertisements? Everytime I click on a .html file, I get a popup ad. Thatā€™s really annoying, considering we are already paying for the ADSL service. Ad-free hosting is not too much to ask, in my opinion.

The only thing I can think of to try is putting the .html files somewhere else, and storing the big files on my hinet space, but thatā€™s probably just as annoying as dealing with the advertisements.

I should mention that I have a popup blocker on my web browser, but Iā€™m afraid other people (like my family members back home) may not have that, and will therefore have to suffer through the advertisements.

scomargo,

I tried out the webhosting on Hinet, then I went back to Geocities, despite the ftp access. But even they have all sorts of ads nowadays. If you are really anti-ads, you probably need to pay for hosting (as the ads typically pay for the hosting costs as on Yahoo!)

Finally, I decided to pay for my own webspace. It wasnā€™t that expensive, and had a LOT more flexibility with blogs, galleries, etc for me to use.

Kenneth

If you have a web site or file storage on MyWeb (free web space for HiNet ADSL subscribers), since 15 February you canā€™t upload files through ftp.myweb.hinet.net - Details of the change are as follows:

čŖæę•“å‰ļ¼š
ftp://ftp.myweb.hinet.net - ęä¾›ē¶²é ęŖ”ę”ˆäøŠå‚³åŠäø‹č¼‰ļ¼Œē¶²č·Æ僅限HiNetē·šč·Æ存取

Before the change:
ftp://ftp.myweb.hinet.net - For FTP up- and download, only accessible through a HiNet connection.

čŖæę•“å¾Œļ¼š
ftp://upload.myweb.hinet.net - ęä¾›ē¶²é ęŖ”ę”ˆäøŠå‚³åŠäø‹č¼‰ļ¼Œē¶²č·Æ僅限HiNetē·šč·Æ存取
ftp://ftp.myweb.hinet.net - åƒ…ęä¾›ē¶²é ęŖ”ę”ˆäø‹č¼‰ļ¼Œē¶²č·Æē·šč·Æäøä½œé™åˆ¶

After the change:
ftp://upload.myweb.hinet.net - For FTP up- and download, only accessible through a HiNet connection.
ftp://ftp.myweb.hinet.net - For FTP downoad only, accessible through any internet connection.

Source: www.myweb.hinet.net